David Bendeth Drums for Steven Slate

I think Jens uses SSD samples, it won't be much different from what SSD already offers.
I'd like something different than American radio rock drums, maybe collaborate with some European producers/AEs.
e.g. Mikko Karmila or Hiili Hiilesmaa for that "Finnvox" sound, Sascha Paeth for his power metal sound... you know, something different.

I am glad I read this thread about the one kick and two snares. From now on I will wait and read reviews about Slate expansions and products before buying based on demos and videos on Slate's site. But like Egan said if this thread needed cleaning why did he stop there?

David was great to work with and I'm really happy how the pack came out. There is some eq and compression on the demos but the samples take it very well.

What I love about this pack is how unique it is from all the other drums offered in the line. The toms are thick and thuddy, the snares are amazing with a nice dirt to them, and the rooms sound awesome when compressed. I'll be posting some of my own demos soon.

If you are at NAMM, come see me at #6921 and say hello!

Cheers,
Steven

Reading every post, why is "eddie" so bitter about CLA?

Is it because American Idiot probably (in figures) eclipses everything put together? lmfao.

So many top producers are so unpro.

Guys it seems there is some fake accounts and some bad haters here and I am ok with this, It is the internet, and it happens every 5 minutes with people that need some attention for whatever reason. You have your fans and you have your detractors. I do not think I have ever portrayed myself as a top flight engineer, I am a bit of a jack of all trades. I love to write, play guitar, produce, mix and experiment. I am not someone that wakes up every day and mixes a song. I have the ut,ost respect for CLA, we have know each other for years and we had a really good hang at AES with Steven.
Have I been known to go off the deep end? You are damn right, I hate reading BS, especially when it is about people I love and respect. It seems a favorite past time is pitting people against each other, We all know the threads, I suggest a more constructive approach, one where the younger guys can learn and benefit from guys like Korneff, Sturges, Talylor Larson, etc. Our records speak for themselves.

This pak is not for everyone, in fact "ultimate metal was certainly not what i was thinking about when this was designed, It was more general rock use, not the mainstream in here.
Personally i would love to hear some of your ideas and tracks that you have made. There are some very creative people here. I would prefer to discuss music here if possible I have not time for high school stuff.if you are serious and we can interact musically I would like that. In regards to Dan Korneff, we all know he is a super talent and I am sure will eventually have his own drums and they will be as great as what he builds in the outboard area.. Dan is a genius.
I worked very hard with the new team on this pak with Slate, Brian Robbins, Lenny White, and Jeff Lyons to give creative people something clever to work with that they could use every day. It is not the perfect pak, but I feel it does break new ground in many areas. Give it a chance. thanks DB

what about a Butch Vig expansion, i know not that metal...but i love his drums. Especially Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Foo Fighters....

The Nirvana drums were samples used by Andy Wallace in the mix stage if I recall correctly. I remember reading on Butch Vig's forum over on Gearslutz that Butch wanted to steal them but Andy kept taking them away at the end of the day.

So I'm still playing around with these, and I have to process them almost as if they were raw samples to get them to sound decent.

Here's that clip again: (raw samples) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9799371/Bendeth Drums1.mp3

Here's with the processing I did: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9799371/DB Drums Processed.mp3

And here I tried them on a mix: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9799371/Bendeth Drums Test.mp3

Not too bad. But still...I know it was mentioned that they were supposed to be used creatively but I feel that if I'm paying $99 for a sample pack like this
I would expect them to be more processed and "mix-ready". After all, If I'm going to be mixing real drums, I wouldn't want to blend raw sounding samples into them if
I want them to sound bigger.

I still respect David, and I love his work. I'm just not a big fan of these samples. :) On another note: I love what you did with the new Of Mice & Men.

but I feel that if I'm paying $99 for a sample pack like this I would expect them to be more processed and "mix-ready". After all, If I'm going to be mixing real drums, I wouldn't want to blend raw sounding samples into them if

Couldn't agree more with this. I expect demos of the product to be what I'm going to get out of the box. Totally misleading and not cool what so ever.

I really don't get why people are complaining about the samples being raw... Toontrack uses the same approach to their SDX packs, posting processed sounds on raw sample packs. I'm not really sure why you'd want to hear raw drums in a demo, since that's not at all what they were meant to sound like in the end... People have been complaining for years that Slate drums are too preprocessed and end up making everything sound the same, then they deliver some raw samples, for cheaper than Toontrack charges for their expansions at release, and everyone's whining that they're not processed now. I don't get it.

I really don't get why people are complaining about the samples being raw... Toontrack uses the same approach to their SDX packs.

Well, Metal Foundry was so unbelievably raw the snares are literally like blocks of wood and the toms like out of tune donka donks

And a lot of people disliked it here and the general vibe is mixed feelings elsewhere.

Metal Machine is their most processed one to date, and its universally loved by everyone.

Well, Metal Foundry was so unbelievably raw the snares are literally like blocks of wood and the toms like out of tune donka donks

And a lot of people disliked it here and the general vibe is mixed feelings elsewhere.

Metal Machine is their most processed one to date, and its universally loved by everyone.

Metal Machine is also an EZX and is meant to be processed. Many people, including several forumites here, also asked for an SDX version with raw samples. The Avatar kit is quite raw sounding and God knows that when we hear it in examples, it's been processed. Even with S2.0's built in effects, i've yet to hear a stock preset that actually sounded good with any of their packs; clearly they're not using those in their clips.

I guess the issue here is that there isn't a distinction between raw (SDX) and processed (EZX) sample libraries, like Toontrack has. Still, when I buy a sample library, I fully intend for it to not sound like what it does in the manufacturer's examples, as it'd be dumb for the company to put the raw sample pack in with some guitars and bass and call it a day. Of course they're mixing them (if even just with a little EQ), to fit a mix...