David Bendeth Drums for Steven Slate

IMO, these drums sound really good. They are raw, but I really liked them. Especially for rock.
I hope Slate contacts Brendan O'Brien and focus on that Kings X dogman RAW sound... Or Bob Clearmountain

I also think they sound quite usable, cause they are not like the ones from CLA which I have an like.
But it should just have more different drums to justify the price, so I won't get it

My favourite Brendan o brien drums are superunknown and significant other. and both would be not only hard to recreate but probably unusable for anything other than a cover album of those albums haha.

Sure he'd put out some killer sounding drums if he did one next though. I'm probably as interested in the room they are tracked in as the engineer though, that's where the sound is.

Metal Machine is also an EZX and is meant to be processed. Many people, including several forumites here, also asked for an SDX version with raw samples. The Avatar kit is quite raw sounding and God knows that when we hear it in examples, it's been processed. Even with S2.0's built in effects, i've yet to hear a stock preset that actually sounded good with any of their packs; clearly they're not using those in their clips.

I guess the issue here is that there isn't a distinction between raw (SDX) and processed (EZX) sample libraries, like Toontrack has. Still, when I buy a sample library, I fully intend for it to not sound like what it does in the manufacturer's examples, as it'd be dumb for the company to put the raw sample pack in with some guitars and bass and call it a day. Of course they're mixing them (if even just with a little EQ), to fit a mix...

This is a really bad rule to go by, though (SDX = raw, EZX = processed). Avatar is NOT raw; tons of analog processing going on in those on the way in, and that's part of why it's so easily identifiable.

I don't fault any manufacturer for processing their example tracks but I think you do need to disclose that. In an ideal world when buying samples I want to hear what I'm getting AND how it takes processing. That's just my preference though. I definitely don't think there is anything nefarious going on.

Dude, this thread :lol:

I use to have respect for David, but if that is really him, then he's a fucking douchebag.

Also, I usually like Slate's drums and have 3.5, but these sound kind of like a rip off. 2 snares and 1 kick for $99?? C'mon Steven why are you charging and left nut for so little? I'm aware that times are hard, but I liked the older business model better. I would love to try/use these, but I can't drop that kind of coin for this.

I saw a few people throwing names out there so I will too. Butch Vig, Joe Chiccarelli, Andy Wallace, Tchad Blake, Alan Moulder, Bob Clearmountain, all of these would be killer to hear/use.

I don't really get all the negativity about the demos. I don't think i've ever done a single mix with drum samples where I didn't add additional EQ and compression, and you know, MIXING. It's like buying a new mic and returning it because your vocal didn't instantly sound like the song on the radio.

I don't really get all the negativity about the demos. I don't think i've ever done a single mix with drum samples where I didn't add additional EQ and compression, and you know, MIXING. It's like buying a new mic and returning it because your vocal didn't instantly sound like the song on the radio.

This. Plus the time and money that goes into making the expansion.

At the end of the day, you don't have to purchase the pack, so....I don't see the issue, frankly.

Why were these samples "unethical?" That seems a bit of a stretch.

Why were these samples "unethical?" That seems a bit of a stretch.

Personally, I thought that advertising it as 5 kits when it was really just a set of toms, a kick, and two snares was pretty unethical. I thought that using Paramore et al. as a selling point for the samples is also unethical considering Bendeth has made it quite clear that these were an entirely new set of samples not designed to be like that, not to mention Korneff would be required to get close again.

Have any of these sample packs by commercial mixers actually been anything above average yet? Seems to me that these things are rushed out to make a quick buck and a bit of side cash because recording budgets are down whilst not giving any of the real goods away.

Well, its either that or a lot of these guys don't really know how to sample a drum kit to a pro standard...

Have any of these sample packs by commercial mixers actually been anything above average yet? Seems to me that these things are rushed out to make a quick buck and a bit of side cash because recording budgets are down whilst not giving any of the real goods away.

Well, its either that or a lot of these guys don't really know how to sample a drum kit to a pro standard...

I dont know, I think the CLA add on is very well made. You even have two top and two bottom mics for snares, and also two rooms. And his presets are made with a lot of care. Watching the video to me it seems like even Steven was surprised he puts so much effort in it hehe

There is a market you could take advantage off ;)

Go make some that holds up to a pro standard?

Personally, I thought that advertising it as 5 kits when it was really just a set of toms, a kick, and two snares was pretty unethical. I thought that using Paramore et al. as a selling point for the samples is also unethical considering Bendeth has made it quite clear that these were an entirely new set of samples not designed to be like that, not to mention Korneff would be required to get close again.
Twist that knife Jeff.
I complained about a similar advertising issue with the Date samples (one set of toms + nine kicks + seven snares + one hat + one ride + four crashes + one china≠10 Kits IMHO). Someone in the marketing department conflates "preset" and "kit."

I dont know, I think the CLA add on is very well made. You even have two top and two bottom mics for snares, and also two rooms. And his presets are made with a lot of care. Watching the video to me it seems like even Steven was surprised he puts so much effort in it hehe

I also like the CLA pack a lot more. I bought it for Trigger and it included the kit presets which I really like. The Bendeth Trigger pack didn't even have any kit presets.