Day 2 Recap

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Well, another Ragnarokkr is in the books!

Before the recap, I wanted to congratulate Odin and Chris for another successful year. Furthermore, Bob has really stepped it up. He did a great job with the second stage last year, but this year overall he was a promo machine. As Bob and I always joke, "you gotta sell the sizzle"!!!!

Ok, onto the bands...........

I started the day off with Visigoth on the mainstage. I was looking forward to these guys. I really like the songs I have heard online. Obviously my interest has peaked even more since their signing to Metal Blade (kudos to them!) Their vocalist (sorry, forgot his name) was obviously fighting a very bad throat / strained voice issue but battled through their set. The band seemed very tight. And I am NOT only saying this because they covered Manilla Road (Though I am not sure I ever heard a Manilla Road tune in C tuning - if not lower) Well done.

Next was Witches Mark. For some reason they have seemed to get a bad rap around this forum. I thought they played their set very well. I know all the guys were very happy to play the fest. They played most of my fav tracks off their new one. The vocalist from Skelator (I think that was the band) joined them for their last number.

After WM I headed to the music joint to catch Spare Change already in progress. As a guy who was there for the first wave of crossover it was actually refreshing to hear a band play that style since it has always been absent from Ragnarokkr. They did a really good job and folks kept coming in during their set. The main standout for me was their bassist. More technical than most cross over bands. Brian Spare Change has kept that machine going for over 20 years! Very glad to hear they got a slot on the upcoming DRI show at Reggies.

Next up were Midnight Hellion. I was not at all familiar with them prior to the fest. I honestly did not know what to expect. Though the SECOND the singer walked onto the stage she grabbed hold of the audience and didn't let go. I was extremely impressed. From what I hear she is not the original singer of this band. I sure hope they keep her around. She knows how to captivate the audience.

After MH on the Music Joint stage was Eternal Champion. I fully admit (and others know this too from offline discussions), their two songs they have online have never grabbed me. Don't know if it was the production or the vocals, or what? Live they were a completely different beast. Their newer material sounded great. Even more epic. Their frontman should be the prototype for any epic metal band. Such a commanding presence. Very glad they had a good gig!!!

After EC it was back to the Rock Club, where by the time I went back into Reggies Black Death were wrapping up. Folks who saw them said they put on a good show.

Next were Argus. I expected them to be one of my favorites of the weekend, and they delivered! You can tell that these guys truly enjoy playing. That is always good to see. They are a perfect hybrid of traditional doom and Dio era Sabbath. I am sure Lee will pop in with a differing opinion and that is fine. He is the long time fan. They did a great job. Only criticism I can give is that for a festival setting, I am not sure I would have chosen a cover tune that is THAT long in length. They did a great job vocally and musically on Phantom of the Opera. The crowd really dug their whole set. I hope that this performance coupled with the Skull will keep the door open for at least one doom band on the main stage next year!

After Argus were Voltax. You can tell these guys must play a lot of shows because they seem to play so effortlessly. Great musicianship and show. I was actually very surprised how tame the crowd was for them.

Finally it was time for mr Steve Grimmett's Grim Reaper. Steve sounded great. Sure, there were some tunes where he stayed in a lower register, which I can understand. Any Grim Reaper fan would NOT have been disappointed. The crowd loved them and they seemed really appreciative of the crowd.

You must have been in the wrong place for Voltax. I was right up front surrounded by crazed Mexicans!

I watched them from the stair case leading down from the balcony.
They sounded good.
I didn't see people "raging" as I had expected, though if you were in the heat of things I am sure you had a different perspective.

Nice to finally meet you this year.

Just add Maiden/Lizzy and you're good.

And I agree on the cover, though they frequently do covers. The video of them doing Black Rose in Dublin is badass.

Lizzy definitely. Not sure I agree on the Maiden influence, but I haven't absorbed enough of their material yet.

Just got done listening to the Sleeping Dogs 10" which is a reissue of their demo.

Wow, that is one hell of an impressive first demo!

I've been telling you that since 2007!! :headbang:

Yep, definitely...

But you know how it is.

It's the same way with me blowing loads over Manilla Road for so many years. I know there are many people who avoided MR since that's "The band that Jason never shuts up about" LOL..

That's how Argus was for me for many years (The band that Lee never shuts up about).

True Story!!!! Lee almost abandoned his food order at the gyros place next store (which was pretty good actually) in fear of not getting a good spot for ARGUS!!!

They sounded good.
I didn't see people "raging" as I had expected, though if you were in the heat of things I am sure you had a different perspective.
Must be. When you are in the thick of things its hard to know what the rest of the crowd is doing.

You too! And the same goes for everyone else I met.

They sounded good.

It was definitely intense up front for them, but not nearly as much as Grim Reaper, which got out of control by the end.

True Story!!!! Lee almost abandoned his food order at the gyros place next store (which was pretty good actually) in fear of not getting a good spot for ARGUS!!!

I tell you what, we couldn't have timed that any more perfectly in the end. Just as Black Death was finishing we were able to slip up to the front rail for Argus as people cleared out for the changeover gap. It was perfect. :headbang:

Argus was the highlight of the day (and weekend) for me.

I would just say they're a crossover band. You can definitely hear doom but also trad. That's the one issue I have is that some people hear the doom label and will bypass them.

Damn, now I definitely wish I had watched them. Instead I went to check out Seax with their new singer and was disappointed. He doesn't have nearly the on-stage personality that Carmine does. At least I came back to the main stage in time to see Argus' Maiden cover with the Visigoth singer.

Damn, now I definitely wish I had watched them. Instead I went to check out Seax with their new singer and was disappointed. He doesn't have nearly the on-stage personality that Carmine does. At least I came back to the main stage in time to see Argus' Maiden cover with the Visigoth singer.

see this is interesting...I think Carmine is a good frontman but sort of a clown onstage. He was a turnoff for most people. I know a lot of people like them with Steve singing now. I think they are going to go for a more serious approach now.

Top performances of day 2 for me: Eternal Champion, Argus, Visigoth, Midnite Hellion

Or when Carmine was on stage with two guys from Ravish (guitar and drummer) doing impromptu covers and jams. It was pretty sad to hear a super sloppy version of "Two Minutes to Midnight" with forgotten words.

see this is interesting...I think Carmine is a good frontman but sort of a clown onstage. He was a turnoff for most people. I know a lot of people like them with Steve singing now. I think they are going to go for a more serious approach now.
Yeah, for me the more serious approach just reveals how boring their music is.

I was bummed our set was at the same time as Seax's as they were really cool dudes. They come to Pittsburgh every so often so hopefully I get to see them down the line here.
Just for the record, yes they are cool guys. You must be Butch from Argus. Nice to have you join us on the forums!

I haven't heard a single word about Crowhaven. Did anyone catch them or were we all too busy crooning over Eternal Champion?