Day 2 Recap

The point is well made that it is not just ill prepared old, obscure bands who need to work on their craft and be prepared. Sometimes I think in the age of pro-tools that can make a band sound better on recordings they forget it takes actual rehearsal both at home, as a band in a practice space and in front of crowds to develop your show. It's hard to stay objective when you want to play to a cool crowd like this one but you have to be able to pull it off reasonably well because one bad show can scar your rep with some people for good.

But it's up to said KVLT band to KILL it live when getting the opportunity.

Around this forum literally maybe two or three people knew what the hell a Tyrant's Reign was before the fest last year.

Now they are a household name because they absolutely crushed at the fest.

Same goes with ASHBURY.

I didn't see Crowhaven, but unfortunately, I have not heard one person since the weekend say, well, anything about them.....

The problem with Tyrant's Reign though is that they've done nothing since. At least Ashbury continues to do shows and such.

I think the balance at the fest with classic, new and obscure band reformations was really well done. I had a conversation with John from Crowhaven over a meal after our set. Really nice guy. I felt bad for him as he was definitely disappointed in their set and preparation for it. But his love for music was evident.

yeah I was talking with Bucky after the set and he wants to come back again and do more shows. They are guys just happy playing. Super good people. I think it is harder for lots of the older bands because for a band like Crowhaven....they don't practice every week and stuff. I would put money down that years have gone by where they never rehearsed together.

I think it was one of the guys in Beryln the NWOBHM bands I saw at Brofest who was telling us that he had to go and buy a new guitar and relearn everything because he hasn't played in so long. On stage you would not have been able to tell. I think it is just that each person is different. Not every band is going to move around and put on a stage show.

The problem with Tyrant's Reign though is that they've done nothing since. At least Ashbury continues to do shows and such.

Well, sort of....

I think they have played what, like maybe 1 or 2 shows since last year, and one upcoming????

Though it's awesome that it was Ragnarokkr that lit the fire under them.

As for TR, they have stated many times that they are not playing any gigs until they have new material out. I agree though that in the meantime they should still play at least one or two shows to keep the name out there.

Esp, since Stormspell did the reissue last year.

But it's up to said KVLT band to KILL it live when getting the opportunity.

Around this forum literally maybe two or three people knew what the hell a Tyrant's Reign was before the fest last year.

Now they are a household name because they absolutely crushed at the fest.

Same goes with ASHBURY.

I didn't see Crowhaven, but unfortunately, I have not heard one person since the weekend say, well, anything about them.....

Crowhaven got the gig because they are from the state I live in now and I personally love the album. It was always one of those bands people know just the name but not one song. I hoped the Skol Records reissue would have helped. Unfortunately....Jason is spot on. The two original members were into it but couldn't get the rest of the band to even care enough to put in an effort. They COULD have been great....sadly....ill-prepared.

.....Nick Bowcott. Not in the band for almost 30 years, not even in the same country, 3 hour practice. He came to the practice prepared. He even knew the new songs. I almost felt bad for how nervous he was before they went on.

.....Nick Bowcott. Not in the band for almost 30 years, not even in the same country, 3 hour practice. He came to the practice prepared. He even knew the new songs. I almost felt bad for how nervous he was before they went on.

I was really impressed by him. Also he was about the only band member of GR I talked to much and gotta say one of the nicest musicians I've met. Very professional too.