Dead End Kings

Haha, Flawed Coil posted the same rant on Katatonia's Facebook post on their new album. He is the worst poster in the history of any forum ever, but at least I take solace in knowing that something like this actually ruins his day. Holy fuck, dude. Go 69 more. Or, better yet, make a totally nonsensical post about how driving 10 minutes to the club to find someone to 69 is going way too far, just like you did with that BRUTAL hour plus ride that you had to endure to catch Katatonia last year.

LOL, i know it! What a total dicksh!t I am. :lol: I mean don't I know any better and that I am supposed to just keep my opinions/honesty/suggestions to myself and instead blindly praise every single decision that the band/record label makes and only say "Fuuuccck yes!! You guys fucking ruuuulllllleeee!!!" over and over again? Man, what a worthless, uneducated form of life I am, you're very right. And I'm pretty certain 69ing would completely make me "get over it". I thank you for your insightful advice.

I assume the record label doesn't read here, so after I posted it here, I figured that the label would stand a better chance of seeing it on Facebook since they don't have a Facebook Wall of their own or any contact email/telephone number (that I could find). It is something I am extremely passionate about and until "the powers that be" at one of these record labels can acknowledge that they have at least one very disgusted music fan out there (which completely blows my mind that there aren't more like me), then I will still be on my solo mission to reach one of the label bigwigs. The television industry has finally figured it out that people are completists and want entire seasons of shows on Blu-Ray/DVD, not just select "highlight" episodes. I am wanting to see the music industry figure out that same revelation. But fans have to demand change first, so I feel I am doing my part.

Having said that, perhaps there is truth about this not being the right place to discuss it. I really don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into my personal bitchfest when it should be saved for discussing the new album. But I also would love a proper place where I can discuss it freely or get in touch with those who I really want to talk to. If anyone has any REAL advice, please feel free to pass it on to me. (And saying "Yea, I have some advice: shut the fuck up." does not count).

@ FlawedCoil82
Just d/l for free until they release the version you want, saves double dipping ;)
They had NITND with'Ashen' available for Swedish order immediatly, so you had an option last time. And 'The Longest Year' single was a worthy purchase to complete the NITND experience...

:( Well I said from the very beginning that the only possible way this album could disappoint me is if one of the 13 tracks written was cut off the album, and unless there will be a "deluxe edition" release with the other 2 tracks included, then it looks like Peaceville is going to pull the same old despicable stunt where they withhold a couple songs off the retail release so that they can release them later on single releases or mp3 releases (items I refuse to buy as they have no place in my collection and I do not play the "double dip" game). Apparently, the letter I mailed to Peaceville Records a few months ago pleading that they not cut off any songs fell on deaf ears (blind eyes) so I will have to still honor the vow I made to not buy unless I saw all 13 songs included. There is absolutely nothing I loathe more about the music industry than being sold CDs where I know that there are songs/chapters not included. Never before in my life have I ever heard a single album that truly "benefited" from having songs cut off it. But I can name hundreds of albums that were utterly destroyed for me because of it. I'll have to buy some Katatonia merchandise in the meantime to help support them until Peaceville offers what I require with the new album. :mad:

Surprise surprise... just about every band ever writes more songs than end up on an album. And I'm pretty sure Katatonia are respected enough to decide the final track list on an album. Just like NitND the album was complete without Ashen. Ashen was a track that didn't fit into the flow of the album and stylistically kind of stuck out and was just added as a bonus track.
If anything I'd be happier if they made a B-side out of it instead of inserting it before Departer.
You buy or don't buy whatever you want, but I'm sure the band backs up the decision to pick songs for the whole of the album and having songs left over that don't really fit too well to put on a B-side. If you make a big deal out of that you're only kicking yourself in the leg

edit: No offense, but do you really think a label will listen to one voice complaining about the way they do business. They've got bigger things to worry about than pleasing you

Actually BlueSky, I very much appreciated your very respectful take on it without being a jerk. I would like to ask you though, when you get to those bonus tracks, why do you not push "Stop" on the player before they play? I think that would be the ideal solution to everything if all albums were made with about a minute of silence before the bonus tracks started, that way those who are very concerned with messing up "album flow" could push "Stop", and then those of us who are completists could continue the journey past the intended ending point (without popping in multiple single/ep discs with one new song each) and get the other "epilogue" songs that didn't fit in anywhere else. Then there would be no risk of having a great/favorite song being cut off the album. Or else having two different versions printed (as the band originally stated) to where one version contains the intended, focused songs and then the "deluxe" version contained everything. I was very excited when they first tossed that idea out there (and if it still turns out to be true, I will owe Katatonia, Peaceville and everyone who read my complaining on here an apology for jumping the gun).

@Schism, right now that is what I am intending to do (although I would pay for the songs because I do not want to steal them). I did originally buy the Swedish edition of NITND and I honestly can not imagine that album without 'Ashen'. I did admittedly double-dip when they released the Special Tour Edition in 2011 with 'Sold Heart' also included, as I originally thought it would be years before Peaceville would re-release that one with that song to (the remix tracks I am not nearly concerned about collecting...if they are included, cool...if not, I won't lose any sleep over them). Peaceville surprised me by re-releasing NITND so quickly with all the (known) songs associated with the album and so I happily rewarded their efforts with a second purchase (even though 'Sold Heart' was written later). And I would do that again with DEK if there are additional songs past the original 13 that are written later for DEK's singles (if they are eventually released on a future version of DEK, that is).

EDIT: @Vincent J., As I said above to Schism, I have to completely disagree about 'Ashen'. The album would have ended too softly with both 'Inheritance' and 'Departer' seperated by only one heavier track. I much preferred that added punch in the album's closing to help it end on a more memorable climax.

LOL, i know it! What a total dicksh!t I am. :lol: I mean don't I know any better and that I am supposed to just keep my opinions/honesty/suggestions to myself and instead blindly praise every single decision that the band/record label makes and only say "Fuuuccck yes!! You guys fucking ruuuulllllleeee!!!" over and over again? Man, what a worthless, uneducated form of life I am, you're very right. And I'm pretty certain 69ing would completely make me "get over it". I thank you for your insightful advice.

I assume the record label doesn't read here, so after I posted it here, I figured that the label would stand a better chance of seeing it on Facebook since they don't have a Facebook Wall of their own or any contact email/telephone number (that I could find). It is something I am extremely passionate about and until "the powers that be" at one of these record labels can acknowledge that they have at least one very disgusted music fan out there (which completely blows my mind that there aren't more like me), then I will still be on my solo mission to reach one of the label bigwigs. The television industry has finally figured it out that people are completists and want entire seasons of shows on Blu-Ray/DVD, not just select "highlight" episodes. I am wanting to see the music industry figure out that same revelation. But fans have to demand change first, so I feel I am doing my part.

Having said that, perhaps there is truth about this not being the right place to discuss it. I really don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into my personal bitchfest when it should be saved for discussing the new album. But I also would love a proper place where I can discuss it freely or get in touch with those who I really want to talk to. If anyone has any REAL advice, please feel free to pass it on to me. (And saying "Yea, I have some advice: shut the fuck up." does not count).

The way you compare television to music doesn't make any sense at all. Bands make a full album, which is the entire season with every single episode included and all episodes end up on the final release. If anything, labels may encourage bands to write a new song or to gather some old left-overs that didn't fit into the album.
Maybe you have a much too romanticized idea of how albums are written. It's not a beginning and an end or a story in itself. The members of a band all write some material throughout the years and once time comes to record an album they go pick and choose songs, put different parts together, come up with a theme and just build an album from their own highlights of their own material. The end product is only an cleaned up collection of random songs and pieces of music.
What happens is that bands write AMAZING songs that just don't fit into the flow of an album and B-sides are actually the only way you'd know about those songs. You should be grateful to the label for putting out singles with bonus tracks because that's the only way a band would feel happy about putting those songs out there without messing up the well designed flow of the album.

Just because a song like Wait Outside is so fucking good doesn't mean it should've been on Viva Emptiness. Just because you can make it work in your mind, doesn't mean that the band agrees with you. It isn't about the quality of a single song, it's about the quality and coherence of an album.

The go back to the analogy of Tv series; The album is the entire, complete series. The B-sides/bonus-tracks are like the bloopers or like the deleted scenes. They can be very good and funny by themselves, but when you add it to the series it breaks the flow and coherence.

Well you do raise some good points in your post Vincent J. (although the Almighty Himself could not convince me that "Wait Outside" was less fitting for VE, than "One Year From Now" was). I think at this point I would rather just wait and see if they will in fact offer a 13 track version before I continue further because we might be running this entire argument for nothing. It's obvious I stand alone on this belief and there just are not many music completists in the rock music world out there.

I pre-ordered my version last night; decided to go with the deluxe XXX version that has a lock of jonas's hair and a short dvd of sodomizer doing the very thing his name says....poor donkey

You have seen the collection threads, right? This board has enough compulsive completionists to fill a modest bus. :D

I am a proud member of that club! I shall buy the standard, deluxe digibook, and 5.1 re-release with slipcover in super jewel case! Then i shall get them all signed! Muahahahahahahahaha!:lol:

longs posts in this thread :)

my 2 cents: it's one thing to upheld 2 songs for bonuses, it's being done since the dawn of time. Another thing is to do like Storm Corrosion did, have every song repeated 3 times in different formats, that is totally a non-wizard move

It's quite a departure in many ways, but I like that they are again using a new colour scheme. NITND was quite similar to TGCD if less... expressionist? I don't know shit about art. :D
Reminds me a lot of Paradise Lost's "Anatomy of Melancholy". Might be the same artist. I quite like it so far.

I agree with the color scheme, red was too common the past few releases. Can't wait to see more of the artwork for this album and singles.

Im not blown away by it, its OK.
I also like the colors but im a bit disappointed that the "tree" showing on the clues they posted on facebook wasnt on the front cover :(

There's a new Katatonia album coming out, and instead of talking about that, we're all arguing with a goddamn Goo Goo Dolls fan about a lack of bonus tracks?! :bah:

Haha, Flawed Coil posted the same rant on Katatonia's Facebook post on their new album. He is the worst poster in the history of any forum ever, but at least I take solace in knowing that something like this actually ruins his day. Holy fuck, dude. Go 69 more. Or, better yet, make a totally nonsensical post about how driving 10 minutes to the club to find someone to 69 is going way too far, just like you did with that BRUTAL hour plus ride that you had to endure to catch Katatonia last year.

:lol: