Dead End Kings

°scarlet°;10317507 said:
peaceville has crazy shipping costs, what the fuck. they used to be WAY less some time ago.
yeah, that special edition is really pricey but all the “special editions” of that kind are so i’m not even surprised.
what i DO dislike instead, is the fact that the two 10” vinyls will be apparently a prerogative to this edition only. so, having all the vinyls would mean buying both the special ed. and the regular double vinyl ed. spending 90 €. no, thanks. and this comes from someone who spent a whole lot on kata stuff.
/rant

U MAD BRO?

y u no like double vinyl special pre-order price?

I take it this is probably directed at me. Let me explain;
When I first heard the song I got goosebumps because of the intensity and just general excitement of hearing a new Katatonia song, but as I was listening the feeling went away and I felt very little pull to hear it more often.

I was disappointed I couldn't get that thrill that other Katatonia songs gave me and I wondered why.
That's why I analyzed the song and described what I felt about it along the way. Not to nitpick and find weaknesses, but only to rationalize and explain what I felt. That's just the way I work. That post was more for me to get things clear than it was for you guys

edit: You're not being a douche

Okay man. You're a long time supporter of Katatonia and you owe me no explanations. I just think that, when you try to "find weaknesses" in a song, that's the moment you fail to enjoy it. But it's all good :)

http://emailunlock.com/peaceville-burning-shed/katatonia_dead-letters

thanks to katatonia and peaceville, i've already this song on my mp3 player, hope all of you too....
and well
i've to say that with headphones, eyes closed in dark, is much better and great....listen and listen many times, i can say i like it very much, often you tube doesnt make justice to music quality.

atmosphere is deep and again jonas is one of the best songwriter and singer ever.....

umm, yeah, that was underwhelming. But I dunno, I was super pumped after hearing "Forsaker", and then the album turned out a steaming pile of bore, so maybe it'll be the other way round this time :(

Okay man. You're a long time supporter of Katatonia and you owe me no explanations. I just think that, when you try to "find weaknesses" in a song, that's the moment you fail to enjoy it. But it's all good :)

Yeah it's all good. I just wanted to clarify ;)
I experience it the other way around. I feel something's off and don't enjoy the song as I'd liked to and thén I try to put my finger on it. But I get what you're saying.

Look at all the wannabe kvlt shit you post in the new treasures thread. 99.9% of the music you listen to couldn't even be considered mediocre on a good day. A bunch of 30 year old virgins who dress up in body paint while they wank away in their parents garage. Sad thing is you kids actually buy that garbage, which makes you pretty silly.

"The Truth" ? Junior Member / Joined: June 2012 / Posts: 1
You actually made a new account to be able to tell me "that truth"? Why can't you say that with your actual account here?
You're a pathetic little monkey.
And you dare call me a wannabe?
Fuck you and the rabid bitch who aborted you. How's that for "kvlt"?

Stop it scentofdeath. This isn't the place for that and frankly disgusting language doesn't make this place better. Let's just discuss our favorite band. Pros AND cons. As a fan you don't just have to drink the kool-aid

I will accept criticism and i will discuss it politely as long as they come correct.
If they are two faced motherfuckers who are not able to come forward for who they really are, they can eat shit and die.
And insulting someone's musical taste on a music dedicated forum is downright insulting.

Good track. I agree, disagree, and am neutral to certain posts about the song so far.

99.9% of 30 year old virgins wank away in their parents garbage.

Back to Dead Letters. The phrases in the lyrics are kind of "disconnected"to each other, but I think I'm grasping the meaning of the song, and I must say it's really brilliant...

A bunch of 30 year old virgins who dress up in body paint while they wank away in their parents garage. Sad thing is you kids actually buy that garbage, which makes you pretty silly.

And because I don't want to let this go yet, here's a dude we all love and respect around here

236_photo.jpg

Does he qualify as your "30 year old virgins who dress up in body paint while wanking away in his parents garage" ?
Although he was about 24 yrs when he put out Nightwork.

I totally agree.
I also hate this pathetic dissection of a really good song.
And the Tool comparison fuckin makes me mad, because I hate that mediocre shit band.
This thread is bumming me out. Can't believe the joyless bunch here.
This album must be coming out at the wrong time or in a bad phase for many people.

You only think the dissection is pathetic because you like the song. Is it pathetic if someone loves a song, and gives all of the reasons they love it?Not really. People are discussing how they feel about the song..some like it, and some don't. That is the bottom line. People should not feign enthusiasm when they are not moved.

I am personally not too into it, it does not move me and sounds disjointed. I would prefer more catchiness. Whether you hate Tool or not, the riff in question sounds like them to most of us. However, I find it an interesting song, and I still very much look forward to the LP and the 2 bonus tracks. There is bound to be somegreat material, so my excitement for the LP has not been impacted in the slightest!

Nobody asked about it, but I'm going to say what I think about the lyrics. It's basically about stagnation, it's an "anthem" for nothingness, boredom and emptiness. Almost every lyrical piece describes a paradox that indicates nothingness. I separated some parts in no specifical order and I came up with this meaning:

"internal void" = self explanatory
"My dreams are getting darker and darker" = Boredom breeds inner darkness
"dim my lights, time is frail" = Darkness inside. Time passes easily.
"Trapped and choked, erase my trail" = Without escape, fragile.
"you shut my mind, but oh well" = No biggie. Its not different than before. Inner darkness.
"broken run" = no destination reached, failure. Sameness.
"on burnt grass" = A dead ground. An "erased path". No path to follow.
"The change, inactive" = No change
"confined in escape" = Kind of a paradox. Indicates sameness, "a dead end".
"this life before me, this blood runs so still" = lack of inner motivation. Loss of will. Apathy towards life.
"split the chest, my heart couldn't feel more pale" = Same as above
"if only once, could I see clear" = He never sees the "end" (or light?), no even "once". Sameness.

"the call of the bird, the song that makes the hours go" = If you pay attention to the artwork of the album, you'll kind of get what I'm trying to say here. The crows symbolize time (hours), as an unity of non-events, nothingness. The giant crow (which can be seen puking or "singing" the crows (making the hours go)) is a symbol of the narrator's spirit, telling us how uneventful and stale his life has become, giving the impression, at least to me, that years in his life can be summed up in one song of nothingness. The crows represent his void, his time on earth. Jonas is singing his darkness.

"dead letters form these words" = can be interpreted as a letter or as a document that brings no news, nothing is changed, nothing happened, so that's why the words are "dead".

That's it, in my opinion of course =]