Death Magnetic release date

I don't understand the hate for Load and Reload. Do you all hate anything that isn't metal or something? There is a good amount of good material on Load and there is a bit of filler on Reload, but overall they are decent rock albums.

I don't understand the hate for Load and Reload. Do you all hate anything that isn't metal or something?

You know the subject is delicate. When Metallica change their sound (or sold out depending on you viewpoint) basically most people took the hard edge and dismissed the band music (for me happened at the black album), or continued to be fans no matter what. It's basically a love/hatred camp division with some like you still found value in the albums after it (let's call neutral fans).

What is important is that you believe in your taste and don't let other opinions bother you. As long as you can rebuke a post intelligently no one should take on you and viceversa.

Speaking for myself I love basically metal, but I also like hard rock and progressive rock/metal. My problem with Metallica is that I do believe they sold out, I don't like their material after AJFA, it doesn't pleases me musically and therefore I'm among those wo took the hard edge :D

P.S. Remember not only Metallica has taking the fire, also Iron Maiden and Judas Priest lately. I guess many are like me we don't want our bands to change sound or experiment too much.

Well, I could bring up the tired argument of 'Would everyone feel the same way if Metallica just kept putting out thrash for the last 20 or so years?'. I would venture to say that people would complain about how stagnant they would have been. I think if Metallica had been a band with only a handful of releases like a Heathen or a Dark Angel and had attempted something like Load, I think people might have a case for arguing that the band sold out, etc. However, with the self-titled, people knew the direction the band was taking and could really expect how Load was going to sound, so I don't think the hate is really warranted as much as it is now. I think both albums get s bit more respect since St. Anger came out as people wouldn't mind the sound on Load as much

Well, I could bring up the tired argument of 'Would everyone feel the same way if Metallica just kept putting out thrash for the last 20 or so years?'. I would venture to say that people would complain about how stagnant they would have been

It's a possibility, the same when people arguing what would had happen if Cliff Burton hadn't died? But we never know any of these answers don't we? o_O

From my side I would have love Metallica playing thrash like RTL for the last 20 years or more, but maybe I'm in the minority.

I know I love Motorhead playing the same after 30 years and I love Alice Cooper going back to his 70's sound, but I'm an old guy and I don't bend much to new sounds or experimentations (at least in pure metal, in progressive I'm a bit more open minded).

Oh btw and coming back to the original thread, in case somebody want some go here: http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601021

Think about Overkill. They still haven't de-metalled their music. And they've been around as long as metallica. I still buy Overkill albums. They've put out a few in their history that were only decent, but they were still fucking thrash. The same can be said of Testament, and Exodus as well.

Exodus' last few haven't been thrash and neither have Overkill's

I beg to disagree, I'm not fan of Exodus but "Tempo Of The Damned", "Shovel Headed Kill Machine" and "The Atrocity Exhibition...Exhibit A" are damn thrash (I just can't stand the vocals). Not familiar with later Overkill material but I'm sure they keep on the same thrash vein.

cmon, are we really counting garage inc as a good metallica album. its not their music...

that aside, ill give this album a chance. ill listen to someone elses copy of it.
although, with what this topic was started on- they sure dont seem to care with how they are representing their "new, better sound" with that album cover.

SHKM and Atrocity are post-thrash

What is hell's name is post-thrash? Post-metal, post-rock, post-punk. I'm so tired of those silly labels. If it's smells like thrash, sounds like thrash and it's play by a thrash band is THRASH (period). If you don´t believe me go to www.witches-brew.org forum and ask for yourself for a second opinion.

What is hell's name is post-thrash? Post-metal, post-rock, post-punk. I'm so tired of those silly labels. If it's smells like thrash, sounds like thrash and it's play by a thrash band is THRASH (period). If you don´t believe me go to www.witches-brew.org forum and ask for yourself for a second opinion.

careful, he might throw a forum at you that supports his opinion!! :err:

but actually, what is the purpose of "post"

careful, he might throw a forum at you that supports his opinion!! :err:

Fair enough, that's what competition and capitalism is about :lol:. Who knows the guys at WB may support him and the joke will be on me :ill:

I guess the cover's good, but I'd rather judge the album by the songs. I heard on Ultimate-Guitar that they are going towards modern rock rather than heavy metal.