Death Metal / 7strings / DropAb LowEnd Test

HRdrummer

Jul 17, 2012
Wonder if you guys could critique the low end of this for me.

This is my first dabble in guitars this low, and double tracking the rhythms.
This is not a finished product by any means, I'm just trying to get a jump start on mixing so Im not so freaked out when the real mixing starts :(

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm no more a big fan of double tracking guitars, i fell like some "attack" is missing.
well, you're aiming at the right point for me, just cut some lows on the guitars (somewhere between 200/400hz) becuase i can hear some "mud".
go gon mixing, it can be a great track!
cheers

i'm no more a big fan of double tracking guitars, i fell like some "attack" is missing.
well, you're aiming at the right point for me, just cut some lows on the guitars (somewhere between 200/400hz) becuase i can hear some "mud".
go gon mixing, it can be a great track!
cheers

Thanks for the tips!

Loved it man! killer riffage!

cheeers

Sounds Pretty rad, could you give us the chance to get the DI Files?
Cheeers, and keep working, sounds amazing!!

Hi, is it possible, to get the raw tracks, DI and midi track? :)

Thank you! I can't provide any DIs at this time, but once we record and release an EP, I'll be sure to post it here for critiques, and I'll include the DIs, and drum tracks.

What's up with all the people just begging for DI/Midi/Stemzzz/whatever files lately?

There's definitely some attack that's missing and it's not because it's double tracked.
Can't really point my finger on what it could be really. Soft picking? The pickup itself? Maybe too much of compression? Can you tell us a bit what was used there?

It also sounds like the bassguitar could be compressed way harder and the HP for GTR's could be set a bit higher to make some room for the bass, that's where you want your low-end to be naturally.

Hope this helps a bit, keep it up!

What's up with all the people just begging for DI/Midi/Stemzzz/whatever files lately?

There's definitely some attack that's missing and it's not because it's double tracked.
Can't really point my finger on what it could be really. Soft picking? The pickup itself? Maybe too much of compression? Can you tell us a bit what was used there?

It also sounds like the bassguitar could be compressed way harder and the HP for GTR's could be set a bit higher to make some room for the bass, that's where you want your low-end to be naturally.

Can't remember what was done off the top of my head, but I'll take some screencaps later tonight and share them here.
As far as equipment, it was an Ibby RGA7 with old strings, BKP Aftermath, and tortex .88 standard pick. Bass was a Squire VM 5string Jazz Bass, also with old strings and same pick. I like to think Im an aggressive picker. I would say that the old strings are the culprit.

Same settings used on all Guitar channels (I never do this, but its a demo)
evarezeb.jpg

Gtr Buss (TBH, I'm not sure what EQ curve I matched to...:what: )
3atuveze.jpg

Bass channels
ema9epy9.jpg

Bass buss
a6uraby7.jpg

Instead of focusing on mixing the guitars so much I would focus more on finding a complementary bass tone. @Joseph-IS is totally right for suggesting how far back to cut your low end but make sure you have a bass tone that REALLY drives the guitars. I find that as soon as I have a bass tone that sound congruent with the guitars I barely even have to touch them after that. Try experimenting with some of the LePoulin guitar amps on the bass and subtly mix them in.

Instead of focusing on mixing the guitars so much I would focus more on finding a complementary bass tone. @Joseph-IS is totally right for suggesting how far back to cut your low end but make sure you have a bass tone that REALLY drives the guitars. I find that as soon as I have a bass tone that sound congruent with the guitars I barely even have to touch them after that. Try experimenting with some of the LePoulin guitar amps on the bass and subtly mix them in.

Yeah absolutely, and I'm sure the dead strings that are on it don't help either lol