Death Metal song (album) needing engineer to mix…

I am downloading each mix and saving them to listen back. I really want to take a good listen to each one and post the members I am concidering for this project. I know there are still a few people that will be starting their mixes this weekend or next week so this thread will have some life to it for a little while.

Peter

i have some question, if you' ll like the mix, could i post it in on my site (portfolio) ? :) In every possible moment you'll be promoted.

i have some question, if you' ll like the mix, could i post it in on my site (portfolio) ? :) In every possible moment you'll be promoted.

Have you posted your mix yet?

That would be no problem! If you wouldn't mind waiting till I have a final mix and I post mine first. Its not like Bloodsoaked is a huge band and the song would be "leaked" but if you could wait I have no problems with that at all. The more promotion the better.

I should be releasing a DVD in 2011 as well as my 3rd full lenght and might include a bunch of the differnt mixes from the thread on there. Might be kind of cool for people to be able to see the progress of the mixes.

Peter

Not sure if you missed mine?

Crap, sorry dude, with so many of them I was getting lost, I downloaded your this morning.

These are both nice but something about the vocals on both is that you can really hear my breathing (breaths) on them more than I like. Not sure why that is and I have not heard them stand out that much on other mixes.

Also, there seems to be a lot of clipping go on in both mixes...

Peter

One personal thought about the guitars, I don't think it's your pickups or your playing (I think you're playing is really good honestly) but I do think the actuall riffing (composition) and tuning play an important part in getting "that" which you seem to be missing in most of the mixes. If you notice, your song is mainly based on tremolo picking riffs while the references you posted have lots of low 5th riffs (probably droptuned), much more palm-muted. Plus those bands are most likely playing in much lower tunings than D and that plays a huge part in the heaviness of the tone, while D is more of a traditional death metal kind of tuning, like the very riffs of your song.

This said, I really like this song and really want to hear the finished album. I worked a couple hours on the guitars today, and had to do some HEAVY processing to get them anywhere near useable, for as much as I try I just can't escape the "ampsim-ness" of ampsims, but I still want to do this so I'll try to finish tomorrow if I have spare time after a session with my own band

One personal thought about the guitars, I don't think it's your pickups or your playing (I think you're playing is really good honestly) but I do think the actuall riffing (composition) and tuning play an important part in getting "that" which you seem to be missing in most of the mixes. If you notice, your song is mainly based on tremolo picking riffs while the references you posted have lots of low 5th riffs (probably droptuned), much more palm-muted. Plus those bands are most likely playing in much lower tunings than D and that plays a huge part in the heaviness of the tone, while D is more of a traditional death metal kind of tuning, like the very riffs of your song.

This said, I really like this song and really want to hear the finished album. I worked a couple hours on the guitars today, and had to do some HEAVY processing to get them anywhere near useable, for as much as I try I just can't escape the "ampsim-ness" of ampsims, but I still want to do this so I'll try to finish tomorrow if I have spare time after a session with my own band

You are very correct in that fact as well, their music (all three reference videos) music is more slammy, chunky and overall heavier. My music is a bit more straight forward Death Metal than theirs as well.

Used to record the guitar tracks:

Christian Olde Wolber Signature 6-String Jackson Dinky
EMG 81 pickup
D'Addario XL Guitar Strings (.011-.012-.018.-.028-.038-.049)
Tuned to D-Standard (D-G-C-F-A-D)
Jazz III Picks

I know a ton of bands (guitarist) tune much lower with much thicker strings as well. I might have to think a bit differently than I have been regarding the mix and guitar tone.

Like the new Pestilence CD is heavy as hell and it has a completely different guitar tone and production than the reference songs. I just had something in my head for this album and wanted it to be thicker/fuller than my last album.

Please give it a shot dude as I would love to hear what you come up with for sure.

Peter

Crap, sorry dude, with so many of them I was getting lost, I downloaded your this morning.

These are both nice but something about the vocals on both is that you can really hear my breathing (breaths) on them more than I like. Not sure why that is and I have not heard them stand out that much on other mixes.

Also, there seems to be a lot of clipping go on in both mixes...

Peter

Clipping can e fixed with automation, but km not going to do that for free. Vocals I'll take a look at and should be an easy fix. I take it you liked the rest then?

here's another version with different cymbals:

bloodsoaked2

again, just a rough mix, lacking automation and tweaks etc.

Yeah dude, liking the cymbals a lot better here, hi-hat is much better as well. Not sure I am totally sold on the snare but this was already one of my top mixes and now better cymbals...

Let me know if you might do the automation and tweaks so I could see what a final product might sound like.

Peter

I think you may have also missed my previous post, so here's an updated version :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9253529/Web Deliverable MP3/Oct 16/NoGod_fredoreo_V6.mp3

(Again, this is not mastered)

I will also send you a PM just in case ;)

Cheers
Fred

Sorry for not replying, must have lost track. I have all 4 of your tracks/mixes and they all seem to be very, very quiet, also seems to be missing some power/balls, could be because of the low volume.

I like how you did the fade-in with the vocals as the first break, a quick fade-in instead of the longer ones other have been doing...

Overall great mix but would like to hear it louder...

Clipping can e fixed with automation, but km not going to do that for free. Vocals I'll take a look at and should be an easy fix. I take it you liked the rest then?

Yeah dude, the is nice overall. The snare might be a bit loud but over yes, I like it...

Peter

Ok my mix is ready. Definitely not better than many of the awesome mixes already posted, but so far I´m fairly happy with it. one annoyance I do find is the guitars are a tad too dark, I might try to fix that some more later. I´ve heard many of the mixes and personally my favorite has to be somewhere bewteen coldthrn and Lasse, with some mild complaints in each, but overall both are the best to my ears, great job guys!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/954292/Music samples-stems/Mine to others/DanLights Bloodsoaked Mix.mp3

P.S. Lasse, didn´t Andy Sneap already tell you that subdrops are gay? hahaha j/k

Edit: OK not " a tad" too dark, just "too dark" hahaha, I´ll fix that tomorrow