Death - still a certainty?

Blowtus

Jul 14, 2006
Straya
It's been a pretty widely philosophised upon topic, the whole 'death' thing. Technology is seemingly well on the way to removing it as a certainty from our lives. Whether it does so in enough time to effect any of us is as yet unseen, of course. This certainly throws a bit of a spanner in the works as far as ideas such as Heidegger's 'facing death in order to live authentically' goes ;)

What would it be to 'face immortality'? Death is a closed unknown, but the idea of continually existing seems just as hard to wrap my head around, and would have to dramatically change the way people responded to their lives, how much of our urgency and motivation would be lost? Interested in any thoughts on the matter.

While I do find the concept of infinite existence just as disturbing as that of nonexistence, I would definitely like to be immortal as long as I could die if I chose to.

Oh boy :rolleyes:. Well it would undoubtedly be exclusive to the elite that could afford "all the work"... wouldnt that be great :rolleyes:. The puppet masters getting to live forever. Still nothing a cold piece of steel could not cure. Better yet... think of the money the insurance companies and the rest of the "health care" industry could make off the deal. I wish science would crawl back under the rock, all the money spent on the physically weak and inept, space dreams, large explosive devices and other war machines while the bulk of the planets population lives in a poverty form of slavery, earning the money others waste. Brilliant Watson

I miss my youth, my more vital years, the body is going to age, how many years does one want to live "old" ? How much bullshit can one sit by and watch during their life ? How long would I want to perpetuate this ? Then what becomes of the population with all the baby mills running rampant on the planet ? All the retards that still think their worth is directly represented by the number of children they have floating around... then what ? Oh let me guess... thats why we need space exploration.............

I would love to be immortal. There is so much to experience and learn. I would happily face immortality.

Yeah I'd be all for it. I think it would certainly change peoples outlook, no longer could adulthood be viewed as having finished learning, as many people seem to treat it. It's hard for me to conceive of living life without some over arching time pressure - I wonder if the lack of such would make people more or less 'happy'. On one hand I can imagine greater relaxation and more time spent on what is important now, but on the other I can see less motivation to worry about 'now' as there will always be 'the future'...

>human. I fully support surpassing death. But I wouldn't take part in immortality personally, not being one who particularly appreciates life in the first place.

On one hand I can imagine greater relaxation and more time spent on what is important now, but on the other I can see less motivation to worry about 'now' as there will always be 'the future'...

And a shitload of procrastination.

While on the other hand mankind could become more concerned about his waste and damage rather then the current view of passing it down for his children to worry about..........