Den standiga resan - Did Mikael ripped off a riff?

holdyourlight

New Metal Member
Aug 5, 2008
I dont know if this have been mentioned before. From the very first time I listened to Opeth's cover "Den standiga resan", I couldn't help but notice that the riff that plays at the beginning of the song and after every chorus is very similar to the one from "To bid you farewell" right before the heavy part enters. I checked the original song, it's there as well.

Mikael has used a lot of riffs that sound a lot like riffs from other songs. Remember that The Moor/ABBA topic a while back?

its called paying homage, almost all artists do it. Opeth has never been afraid to show their influences, hence why the ended up covering the song. If they where afraid of someone like you pointing out that they "ripped it off" they would obviously not have ended up covering the song.

its called paying homage, almost all artists do it. Opeth has never been afraid to show their influences, hence why the ended up covering the song. If they where afraid of someone like you pointing out that they "ripped it off" they would obviously not have ended up covering the song.

it's not very original, seems like those parts were born in lack of inspiration, don't know though... opeth does absolutely not lack originality and they wouldn't have been less awesome without them, that's why the ripoffs feel so unnecessary, like tiny shit stains over a beautiful white dress.

Mike already answered this question and acknowledged that it was indeed an homage......./end thread .........PEAC EOUT