Depressive Metal

GrayRain

Jun 12, 2010
Seattle
I'm already into early Katatonia, Forgotten Tomb, and Dolorian. Any suggestions that are similar to these?

Katatonia and Dolorian are very different...but what the hell, if there's any of these you don't have, get them asap:

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens
Mournful Congregation - An Epic Dream of Desire
My Dying Bride - As the Flowers Wither
Worship - Last Tape Before Doomsday
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Before the Rain - ...One Day Less
Also, Unholy, though I'm not sure which album to recommend.

And I know it's not really that similar to any of those but you should listen to ColdWorld because it's the most despondent black metal album ever :)

I would recomend.....

Draconian ( any album)
Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale
Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation
Agalloch - The Mantle
Windir - Valfar, ein Windir
Write to Forget - Write to Forget
Loss - Life Without Hope
November's Doom

If you have not heard of this bands before, I strongly recomend all of them. Many of this songs invoke some of the darkest emotions we as people can have. Very very chilling =) Enjoy!

Awesome. Thanks for the responses. Katatonia may be quite different from Dolorian and Forgotten Tomb but it's pretty much in the same spirit.

I already had a lot of the funeral doom stuff and love it, but I could never get into Mournful Congregation. I really liked Draconian, Loss, and especially Coldworld. I can't believe I hadn't heard of them before.

Here's one for ya

51Ds2e0XLdL._SS500_.jpg

I downloaded Melancholie^2 and I really like the way the guy sings, but I wish he sang more on the album. The song Tortured by Solitude is what got me hooked. He sounds super tormented, and kind of angry in that song. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet though.

I don't know if you'd technically call any of this depressive, but I find some of these albums to be pretty emotionally despairing - though not quite as much as the very best depressive metal (to me, Stormcrowfleet, Watching From a Distance, Melancholie^2and Dance of December Souls). I've definitely shed tears a few different times to some of these songs though.

Vali - "Doedens Evige Kall"
Alcest - "Sur L'Ocean Couleur De Fer"
Agalloch - "A Desolation Song"
The Cure - "The Same Deep Water As You"
Tenhi - "Nakin Laulu"
Sigur Ros - "Untitled 3"
Townes Van Zandt - "Black Crow Blues"

Also, listen to Jaaportit, a dark ambient group that captures the whole wintry atmosphere thing better than anyone bar ColdWorld.

Here's one for ya

51Ds2e0XLdL._SS500_.jpg

I can't believe I've never come across this, this is great. I haven't heard the whole album yet but what I've heard so far is great. I looked them up and they are labeled as shoe-gazer post-rock, but it seems like metal to me, distorted guitars, metal drumming, not to mention how dark it is, though there is some Pink Floyd influence here and there.