Dick Sirloin, you faggot, get in here

ULYSSES i.e. greatest novel ever (even better than Atlas Shrugged :) ). Today is the anniversary of the day in which the novel takes place

Dick Sirloin said:
ULYSSES i.e. greatest novel ever (even better than Atlas Shrugged :) ). Today is the anniversary of the day in which the novel takes place

I shall look in to this my friend. As that quote blew me away with it's beauty.

Cheers :)

Dick Sirloin said:

argh, dammit. every year I plan a bloomsday celebration, then it always passes me by! oh well, day's not over yet, guess I can read some ulysses :p

RiA: you gotta read "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" first. It's not required exactly, but... oh fuck it, it's required :) (plus it's like 4th greatest book ever anyway so it won't be a big loss)

Dick Sirloin said:
RiA: you gotta read "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" first. It's not required exactly, but... oh fuck it, it's required :) (plus it's like 4th greatest book ever anyway so it won't be a big loss)

Ahhh I'll look in to this aswell. These recommendations are highly appreciated btw.

P.S I have a good friend who holds the name James Joyce. :cool:

okay...i need a book recc now that Im almost done with W&P....I dunno wtf to go with though. I was thinking of something along the American History lines but I dunno.

Whatever it is, it's gonna fucking PALE in comparison to War and Peace, Ill tell you that much.

gravity_rainbow.jpg

postmodern masterpiece that takes place in post-WW2 Europe. Trust me, it's >>>>>>>>> ANYTHING by Tolstoy. And I've read W&P

Dude, not to sound like a pretentious wank here (actually I'm not that upset about it, haha), but books like Ulysses and GR (and I guess you can throw The Recognitions in there) will make you say "Oh yeah. Ayn Rand. I used to read her until..." :p

Dick Sirloin said:
Dude, not to sound like a pretentious wank here (actually I'm not that upset about it, haha), but books like Ulysses and GR (and I guess you can throw The Recognitions in there) will make you say "Oh yeah. Ayn Rand. I used to read her until..." :p

Bro be as pretensious as your heart desires. I welcome these novels with open arms. If they are as good as you claim, I'll be the first to admit it. Defending an inferior work out of pride would be silly. Though I doubt these novels will make me discard Rand, as I wouldn't throw away my Metallica collection all because I discovered a new mind blowing album. I do await the possibility of being profoundly impacted by these works in much the same way as you appear to be.

:)

Wow, you're a lot more open-minded than I thought!

WARNING, though: you might be tempted to toss these novels after 50 pages. They're definitely not traditional in any sense... non-linear narratives, thousands of allusions, bizarre and dense language... But keep in mind: these are books to fall in love with, not books to read and say "Well, I finished it and I got the message. Time to move on to something else!" I keep copies of Ulysses and GR next to my bed. They're the kind of books that you can just open randomly and become immediately drawn into another dimension where the limitations of this one become transcended. But if you're willing to put in the effort, you will be initiated into what will feel like a deep and wondrous secret. Sounds gay, I know, but so does Buddhism until one becomes enlightened

Doomcifer said:
postmodern always seems to me the equivalent as PRETENSIOUS. Talk to me.

Says the person who just read War and Peace :lol:

Dude. DUDE. This isn't pretentious at all. Unless you call ungodly writing pretentious. More like "chemical-induced genius", although much more insightful and intricately planned than Burroughs. Some passages:

She watches Marvy's face as he pays Monika, watches him in this primal American act, paying, more deeply himself than when coming, or asleep, or maybe even dying.

--

What are the stars but points in the body of God where we insert the healing needles of our terror and longing?

--

It's a Rocket-raising: a festival new to this country. Soon it will come to the folk-attention how close Wernher von Braun's birthday is to the Spring Equinox, and the same German impulse that once rolled flower-boats through the towns and staged mock battles between young Spring and deathwhite old Winter will be erecting strange floral towers out in the clearings and meadows, and the young scientist-surrogate will be going round and round with Gravity or some such buffoon, and the children will be tickled, and laugh. . . .

Dick Sirloin said:
Says the person who just read War and Peace :lol:

lmfao :lol:

dude, W&P isnt pretensious at all. It's just very intricate, long, and has 12347865 characters. :loco:

Thos elittle exceprts were cool. Great imagery. Ok, I'll bite. I sense it will be a slow read as you need to comprehend every single word of every single sentence to follow the depth of the use of language, eh?

Not really, it's actually a surprisingly quick read. Just don't expect to "get" everything the first time through. A funnier, more entertaining book has never been written. You just have to fall under his spell.

But don't take my word for it, just ask Chromatose