Did a gig with 8505 live last night

I'm sorry, a laptop in the backline is hip and sleek and 21st century and all that, but toting a fucking desktop, keyboard, mouse, and monitor to every gig (and maybe a card table to set them all up on :D) is such a ridiculously goofy mental image :lol: But hey, laptops can be expensive, so if none of you currently have one, I certainly can't hate for making do with what you have rather than plunking down ~$1k!

I'm actually getting a rackmount for it. It will be locked down whenever we're not on stage and it will sit comfortably at tha back of the stage with the drummer. I'm pretty sure it will work out pretty well.

I've played a show with MKII and got a great deal of compliments, definitely a nice little gimmick (and affordable gear alternative) to add to the band. Just make sure you get make proper cooling for your laptop or he just might get a heatstroke. Can happen very easily if you're not careful...especially on a laptop.

Sounds like a cool idea.
tempted to program a midi session in pro tools to switch my glab for me... that d be sweeeet,
best of both worlds

Im actually planning on using a similar setup when I get my band on the road. Im thinking of losing real drums too! fact is that you can get a much tighter live sound this way. Using automation live is an audio engineers dream (obviously). the ability to have ur computer control channel switching/effects is awesome, and being able to have backing tracks is cool too. Only problem is that real drums are going to drown out everyone on stage, making it hard to get good monitoring. In ear monitoring would be best (since every musician should be hearing a click) anyways glad to see that someone else has the same ideas :)

http://www.fileguru.com/ADIG-Human-Synchronizer/screenshot

This is similar to what I was talking about for control the tempo in real time, I think?? don't know this would effect sample lengths and pitch, hurts just thinking about it.

I like I said at times it was a technical nightmare, but when we pulled it off it was sooooo cool! Are music jumped all over the map, with tempo,genre, effects. I would play the drums on my guitar and the drummer would trigger samples of my guitar, so he was playing the guitar on his drums. after the show we would have so many people come up to us and say how f did you guys do that!

Im actually planning on using a similar setup when I get my band on the road. Im thinking of losing real drums too! fact is that you can get a much tighter live sound this way. Using automation live is an audio engineers dream (obviously). the ability to have ur computer control channel switching/effects is awesome, and being able to have backing tracks is cool too. Only problem is that real drums are going to drown out everyone on stage, making it hard to get good monitoring. In ear monitoring would be best (since every musician should be hearing a click) anyways glad to see that someone else has the same ideas :)

Jesus, why not just playback the songs? I can see the benefit of having orchestral backing tracks if you don't have a keyboard player, running the guitars through an amp sim etc., but even dropping the drums in favor of programmed ones takes away a big reason to see a band live IMO. I may be old school, but I don't watch bands live in hopes of them sounding just like they do on record.

I do NOT recommend losing the real drummer. You will NOT get taken seriously and will be immediately written off by anyone that sees you.

^

Maybe he means he's using an E-kit. Real drummer, fake kit.

I wonder how that would sound or if people would be into it? With a nice multisampled library and some V Drums it could be pretty tight.

^

Maybe he means he's using an E-kit. Real drummer, fake kit.

I wonder how that would sound or if people would be into it? With a nice multisampled library and some V Drums it could be pretty tight.

meh, we had a band called "Trigger the Bloodshed" open for meshuggah in berlin, and the guy had the most terrible drum and snare sounds ever on his e-drums, and placed an acoustic kickdrum in front of his e-drum pad :)erk: ), and even though they sounded good as a band (besides the stupid kick and snare), people were still making fun of them.

Matt, the YouTube vid doesn't do your sound justice I'm sure but even still it was impressive. That YouTube vid sounded better than most of the live mixes I've heard in person around here. I admire folks that are willing to brave technology in the effort to express themselves.

Matt, the YouTube vid doesn't do your sound justice I'm sure but even still it was impressive. That YouTube vid sounded better than most of the live mixes I've heard in person around here. I admire folks that are willing to brave technology in the effort to express themselves.

Thanks man. I plan on getting a video recording of one of our rehearsals... The tone is really impressive, and our overall mix is great. And then eventually maybe we'll play a show with the same sound :loco: