Did anyone else notice?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
There was almost no mention of Dio at the festival by any of the bands (or at least none that I heard... I could have been in the bar when he was mentioned), much less any Dio tributes/cover songs. Personally, I think this was a mistake, especially for the smaller bands. If I was in one of the lower slot bands, I would have began my set with a Dio classic, such as the "The Last in Line". Aside from the fact that I believe Dio is deserving of such a tribute, I believe this could have paid several dividends for the band...
  • Created a festival highlight with the entire venue people singing every word of the song.
  • Immediately won over the crowd. This would have positioned the band to grab people's attention with the remainder of their set.
Once you have people's attention and you've endeared yourself to them by paying tribute to one of their heroes, you're more likely to create more new fans. With more new fans comes more disc and t-shirts. With more new fans comes more future buzz about a return appearance.

So whether it be out of genuine affection for Dio, self-serving promotional purposes or some combination there of, it just seems like a mistake that no one did this.

I actually saw a post about it. Although I agree with you that it would have been super cool to see a Dio cover or at least a mention, I think we have to remember that most of these bands have played concerts in between Dio's passing and ProgPower USA. Let's remember the fact that most of them are from Europe (European Festival Season was before ProgPower). There's a really big chance these bands paid their tribute at shows before one way or another (be it playing a cover, mentioning it onstage, dedicating a song to Dio, etc.) In my eyes, it just seems that ProgPower happened "a little too late" if you know what I mean.

I must add that Andrea from DGM, Oyvind from Illusion Suite and Charlotte from Delain have mentioned DIO in the conversations I had with them during the ProgPower bands interview process. While two of these instances were not during the interview, the other one was simply not included in it simply because of the length of the interview going way over what it was meant to be.

Let's remember the fact that most of them are from Europe (European Festival Season was before ProgPower). There's a really big chance these bands paid their tribute at shows before one way or another (be it playing a cover, mentioning it onstage, dedicating a song to Dio, etc.) In my eyes, it just seems that ProgPower happened "a little too late" if you know what I mean.
Good point.

My thought is this with a "lower slot band." -

'I didn't fly several thousand miles, cross an ocean, pay a fortune for everything, and gone through the hassle of getting an american visa for a 45 minute set to play someone elses material.'

Also every benefit you've pointed out makes it nothing but a silly gimmick.

Agreed on AngraRULES's post.
I was a LITTLE bit surprised at no Dio covers, but in a negative way. I have no question of any of these bands' feelings toward Dio nor any of ProgPower attendees; we remember and honor Dio every time we rock out to one of his albums, for the rest of our lives. I also think a good way to carry on the torch is just for these newer bands to play their own music with as much enthusiasm and heart as possible. To bring the same spirit to their music that Dio brought to his.

Agreed on AngraRULES's post.
I was a LITTLE bit surprised at no Dio covers, but in a negative way. I have no question of any of these bands' feelings toward Dio nor any of ProgPower attendees; we remember and honor Dio every time we rock out to one of his albums, for the rest of our lives. I also think a good way to carry on the torch is just for these newer bands to play their own music with as much enthusiasm and heart as possible. To bring the same spirit to their music that Dio brought to his.

I agree. Although I do appreciate the occasional cover (which a lot of times can be a lot of fun), unless it's a very special occasion (Ie. Circus Maximus last year or the All Star Jam), I think they're unnecessary for the most part. I mean, I see some people suggesting tribute bands on another thread. I will be honest though, I almost cringe just to think about a tribute band playing a festival of the caliber of ProgPower. I missed Mindcrime and I heard they were a lot of fun. That's great. I'd just prefer to see the bands playing their own original material instead.

I didn't fly several thousand miles, cross an ocean, pay a fortune for everything, and gone through the hassle of getting an american visa for a 45 minute set to play someone elses material.'
A fair reason to have blown off Jorn's set from a few years ago. However, I wasn't suggesting anything more than a single track.

Also every benefit you've pointed out makes it nothing but a silly gimmick.
Paying tribute to a hero out of genuine affection sounds like a gimmick?

A fair reason to have blown off Jorn's set from a few years ago. However, I wasn't suggesting anything more than a single track.

Paying tribute to a hero out of genuine affection sounds like a gimmick?

Nice that you mention Jorn's set from a few years ago. I am a huge fan of the guy's voice, and I love most of the bands he's been involved with (surprisingly enough, a lot of his solo stuff I don't care for). As much as I enjoyed seeing him live for the first time, I was disappointed to see that he gave that much room in his set to covers. Yeah, break a Whitesnake song - that's cool. I just think he should have focused more on HIS music.

As for the gimmick comment, playing a cover is NOT a gimmick. Being a cover band, however is. The only reason I was being negative towards it is because before you know, there's a bunch of people over here suggesting "Man, that Maiden tribute band from whatever," or "there's a great king diamond cover band up in NY that should play the showcase," or whatever.

That would be a double edged sword (power metal reference!) for a lower tier band. If they did a Dio cover WELL they might win over the crowd. But if they botched it or just made it sound bad .... well ..... might as well grab all the CDs they hoped to sell and go home.

I remember way back at PP III Stride was playing the pre-party and started the opening parts of 2112. My initial reaction was, "Man, in this crowd, attempting a Rush cover is dangerous territory." But they nailed the SOB; Gary Belin channeled Geddy without blinking. It was awesome, and not surprisingly, that combined with their own music made them one of my favorite bands, immediately. Had they not done it well, though, my opinion might have been different.

But all in all, it was strange to have no mention of Dio. The crowd certainly remembered, there were lots of Dio shirts, especially on Thursday. I had expected *something* from someone, and even started an over / under thread a couple of days before the fest on how many covers we'd hear. Turns out anyone guessing anything but 0 was wrong!

Ken

I guess there's also the fact that we automatically think every band in the world will pay a tribute to Dio just because he was Dio. I am not saying he didn't deserve it or that it wouldn't have been awesome. However, just because the bands didn't play a single Dio song, it doesn't mean they didn't respect him or didn't like him. For certain bands, ProgPower is the very best opportunity for a smaller band to showcase their music and try to grow. They only get 45 minutes. I would hope that they'd take this opportunity and make the most out of it. A Dio cover will not gain them new fans. Their music (if it's awesome) will.

As for the gimmick comment, playing a cover is NOT a gimmick. Being a cover band, however is.

In some cases, maybe, but not all. For people in bands that don't make enough to support them full time, playing in a cover band is often another way to generate enough kaching to support the original band. I'd hate to dismiss that as a "gimmick" when it might be something they really enjoy, and also brings in the cash that helps support the other band.

Locally in Chicago, some of the guys I know in Novembers Doom also play in cover bands, and that's where most of their musical income comes from. Chris from Reading Zero was telling me about his cover band Ten Ton Roller-skate, which seems to be giving him a descent revenue stream. These don't replace full time jobs, but the reality is that cover bands can often make them more money from gigs than their "real" band can make them from CD sales.

Ken

In some cases, maybe, but not all. For people in bands that don't make enough to support them full time, playing in a cover band is often another way to generate enough kaching to support the original band. I'd hate to dismiss that as a "gimmick" when it might be something they really enjoy, and also brings in the cash that helps support the other band.

Locally in Chicago, some of the guys I know in Novembers Doom also play in cover bands, and that's where most of their musical income comes from. Chris from Reading Zero was telling me about his cover band Ten Ton Roller-skate, which seems to be giving him a descent revenue stream. These don't replace full time jobs, but the reality is that cover bands can often make them more money from gigs than their "real" band can make them from CD sales.

Ken

You know, I think I can agree with you in part. Sure, cover bands are a great little way for someone to make money playing music. In fact, it's probably the easiest way. A really good friend of mine, Marc Ferreira (lead vocalist for the prog metal outfit Venturia and the melodic rock band Goodbye Thrill) makes his living by playing covers locally. Your friends in Novembers Doom seem to do the same thing.

However, these guys all have one thing in common - they have the cover bands AND their bands of originals. That in my book is totally acceptable. In my mind, it's almost lazy to have only a cover band. I mean, ok cool you can play Bon Jovi songs perfectly. Now write me a really awesome song.

Being in a band is a job. Look at Jon's many quotes regarding Savatage and what actually pays his mortgage (TSO). If you want to make a living playing music you're probably in 2-3 bands.

Bar owners want asses in their bar to sell their booze to make their money. Original bands don't do that well unless they got their finger on the pulse of the nation and can haul in 100-300 people on their name alone. Cover bands will make more money than most original bands any night of the week. It's a fact. If you disagree, you've probably never tried to pack a bar being an unknown all original band.

Bar owners want asses in their bar to sell their booze to make their money. Original bands don't do that well unless they got their finger on the pulse of the nation and can haul in 100-300 people on their name alone. Cover bands will make more money than most original bands any night of the week. It's a fact. If you disagree, you've probably never tried to pack a bar being an unknown all original band.

That's a perfect assessment. I agree 100%, but that still doesn't change my opinion about playing only in a cover band (unless you're making good money).

You know, I think I can agree with you in part. Sure, cover bands are a great little way for someone to make money playing music. In fact, it's probably the easiest way. A really good friend of mine, Marc Ferreira (lead vocalist for the prog metal outfit Venturia and the melodic rock band Goodbye Thrill) makes his living by playing covers locally. Your friends in Novembers Doom seem to do the same thing.

However, these guys all have one thing in common - they have the cover bands AND their bands of originals. That in my book is totally acceptable. In my mind, it's almost lazy to have only a cover band. I mean, ok cool you can play Bon Jovi songs perfectly. Now write me a really awesome song.

Just remember not everyone can write a good song. It's not as easy as a lot of people make it seem (not saying that you are). If I could make an honest living, pay my bills, child support (I have 50% custody - figure that one out), doctor bills, etc... being in an Alice Cooper tribute band or something like that, it would sure beat working McDonalds and I would have a BLAST doing it. If your job is FUN then you will love your job and more power to you.

Just remember not everyone can write a good song. It's not as easy as a lot of people make it seem (not saying that you are). If I could make an honest living, pay my bills, child support (I have 50% custody - figure that one out), doctor bills, etc... being in an Alice Cooper tribute band or something like that, it would sure beat working McDonalds and I would have a BLAST doing it. If your job is FUN then you will love your job and more power to you.

Certainly a point I hadn't considered. When you it into perspective like that, I have to agree.

I dunno. If I came to see a band and find out they cut out a song I really wanted to hear of their material to cover someone else's song, even as a tribute, I'd be pretty annoyed. Especially the lower tiered bands that often have several CDs and only 45m to play. Maybe if they only have one CD and certain songs don't work live, it'd be another matter but I'd much rather hear everyone's original material than a bunch of Dio or any future tribute stuff even if an unfortunate death happens closer to the fest. Do a shoutout and honor their memory with some awesome original material instead.

If we're talking about opening bands on a tour, I'd say its a different matter since people going for a headliner often ignore openers and aren't familiar with their material. PP isn't that kind of show though.

Ken

There's also the Maiden cover band Clairvoyants, who put out an album of original material last year that was one of the absolute best power metal albums of 2009.

No one is saying every band had to do a Dio cover, but for his passing to go unmentioned at an event where nearly all of the bands were influenced by his music is more than a little odd. Hammerfall already has at least one Rainbow song in their repertoire. It would have been the perfect way to close the fest.