Did anyone watch Ghost Hunters: Live last night?

Haha damn it, I was going to expand upon my previous argument but then I realized a really awful flaw in it.

Anyways - this world can not be explained completely in scientific terms, those who attempt to do so will ultimately fail - just like I am going to if I continue this argument. I should have approached it from a different angle and not backed myself into the corner :p but then again if you don't see where my flaw lies in ... (and it isn't in my beliefs.)
You sound like my philosophy teacher, he tends to believe in trance states or at least I think he does and badmouths science occasionally.

Mathiäs;6661219 said:
WTF are you talking about? I don't care about your views on religion. My point was that when someone says something like my example you to try to best them with your "kvlt" nonsense.

The Correct term is uber-inverted-moonlit-KvLt nonsense.

Mathiäs;6661219 said:
And that free thought argument is total bullshit in the modern world (excluding the middle east, obviously)

Obviously you weren't raised by fundamentalist right wing christian nutjobs. I was. I had to talk myself out of several burnings.

Your flaws lies in thinking that because something cannot be disproven, it is valid to believe it or that the existence of dead spirits that have a physical manifestation cannot be tested by science.

You're a fool for believing that science can explain everything. Science is a great way to analyze the world, but it is not perfect and can NOT explain everything.

Just because you are so adamant that everything can be scientifically explained does not make that so.

It is perfectly fine to believe in something if science is unable to prove it - because that is not the only way of analyzing things.

You're a fool for believing that science can explain everything. Science is a great way to analyze the world, but it is not perfect and can NOT explain everything.

Just because you are so adamant that everything can be scientifically explained does not make that so.

It is perfectly fine to believe in something if science is unable to prove it - because that is not the only way of analyzing things.
This post makes me extremely mad. Science cannot explain everything yet, but that in no way justifies believing in something without any evidence. YOU are a fool. There has never been any reliable other way of discovering facts about the universe. Please tell me what other ways we can discover the nature of reality. Because everything else besides science has ALWAYS been wrong. You have offered NOTHING to back up your claims of non-scientific truth, whereas I can offer every scientific discovery ever made.

Also, if ghosts can indeed be seen, heard, felt or sensed IN ANY WAY as you claim, then they most definitely can be tested by science. You are a fucking idiot if you can't see this. Science tests reality and if we can perceive with something so unrefined as human sense then science can definitely test it. Ghosts don't hide when they see scientists and come out when the coast is clear.

I feel like I am trying to explain to someone why 1+1=2. Please try to be more logical.

Hah, truth and reality are relative to the individual. I've never liked the concept of a single universal truth.

Ah some of you guys crack me up I tell ya.

FYI - I love Ghost Hunters! Don't worry about missing the live thing, they'll compile all they found in an episode within the next couple weeks, if not this coming.

Mort, I like ya bro, but you're not comprehending anything I'm saying.

I'm comprehending it - I just see it differently. That which can be experienced but not explained is as real to me as anything that science can explain. I have experienced ghosts, I have encountered them, they are real - perhaps to me and the millions of others but not to you and the millions of other skeptics.

Why has a scientific study never experienced them?

I'm not aware of any scientific studies that even attempted to experience them, and on the same token just because something hasn't been "scientifically discovered" just yet doesn't mean it won't in the future.

However, I think I'll end this foolishness with a quote.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true." - Søren Kierkegaard (1813-55)

Perhaps I am being fooled, yet perhaps you are as well.

1) There have been several attempts to scientifically examine the paranormal.

2) You're misinterpreting the quote.

Now that I think about it I remember one show testing haunted places scientifically, but don't remember the results of it.

All I can say in my defense involves me bringing up cryptozoology and I really don't want to make myself out to be a further joke.

I prefer quoting Betrand Russell

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way."

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

"When one admits that nothing is certain one must, I think, also admit that some things are much more nearly certain than others."