Did Venom really start black metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
I'm aware of their album titled "Black Metal" but to my ears at least it doesn't sound like BM in the slightest...

I'm asking because I'm looking at the roots of BM as part of a speech on metal due soon. Maybe I should focus on Bathory more...

If I were to pick one Bathory song that sounds fairly BMish what should I go with?

You cant narrow the development of black metal to one band. Venom did not start the black metal sound. They paved the way for the ideology of black metal wit their satanic lyrics and the raw production. For your speech I would focus on Venom along with the other bands that paved the way like Bathory, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate and possibly move into Mayhem & possibly Emperor.

I don't understand why people place so much importance on finding one band that started a genre. All of the metal genres are a product of many influences from many bands. Can't we just agree that five, six, seven bands made contributions that shaped the 2nd wave?

It's like the Possessed vs. Death debate. Strictly in terms of when LPs came out Possessed was first, but Death was recording as far back as '83, iirc. It doesn't seem inconceivable that multiple bands, who didn't know one another, came to roughly the same musical place after hearing the same influences.

Venom gave Black Metal it's name.

Bathory gave Black Metal it's musical template.

Mercyful Fate gave it...corpsepaint.

What song from Bathory would you say define the sound? Stuff like A Fine Day to Die's one everyone knows but it sounds more thrash than BM to me (albeit thrash with epicness \m/).

What song from Bathory would you say define the sound? Stuff like A Fine Day to Die's one everyone knows but it sounds more thrash than BM to me (albeit thrash with epicness m/).

"Massacre", "Chariots of Fire", most songs in the first three albums.

Venom is unquestionably Black Metal. Anybody who says that Venom is not Black Metal is either appealing to revisionist history or is simply ignorant. Venom was Black Metal in 1982, and Varg fucking around with a guitar in Norway in 1992 did not change that in any way, regardless of whether or not Burzum doesn't sound like Venom (and since Venom was first, shouldn't Burzum sound like Venom if Burzum is to be Black Metal?). Black Metal is not defined solely on sound anyway.

I can see how some people label venom as black metal, due to their harsh-ish vocals and occult/satanic lyrical themes. Some of their stuff even sounds close to Bathory's sound, but some of it just sounds like fast, dirty heavy metal. So I think that it is reasonable to label them as black metal, whereas it is ridiculous to label a band like Mercyful Fate black metal.

Here's the thing:

Recent Hellhammer press release:
Martin Ain: "When we started out, we wanted to be Venom. They were the baddest."

In the film Metal: Headbanger's Journey, one can see the President of Roadrunner talking about how he was literally scared to buy a Venom album when they first came out.

Quorthon admitted later on that he was completely influenced by Venom when starting Bathory.

Mayhem COVERED Venom on their first ever studio release.

Venom started Black Metal.

Mercyful Fate's first EP and subsequent albums definitely had a hand though, but nowhere near the impact of Venom, however brilliant those albums may have been (and are).

Here's the thing:

Recent Hellhammer press release:
Martin Ain: "When we started out, we wanted to be Venom. They were the baddest."

In the film Metal: Headbanger's Journey, one can see the President of Roadrunner talking about how he was literally scared to buy a Venom album when they first came out.

Quorthon admitted later on that he was completely influenced by Venom when starting Bathory.

Mayhem COVERED Venom on their first ever studio release.

Venom started Black Metal.

Mercyful Fate's first EP and subsequent albums definitely had a hand though, but nowhere near the impact of Venom, however brilliant those albums may have been (and are).

Yea.Of course you had Sarcófago,666(thanks Nec for naming them) and Sodom, among others, who helped to the development.

Status
Not open for further replies.