Difference between thrash and death

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time thinking of any Judas Priest songs that are particularly fast pre-Painkiller. Now I'll be the first to admit that I don't know shit about Priest, so maybe someone could point them out to me.

Sinner, Call for the Priest, Exciter, Rapid Fire, a good portion of Defenders and Ram it Down... I'd mention Dissident Aggressor too if it wasn't practically thrash metal.

EDIT: Yeah, a lot of speed metal bands don't play it consistently. When I said "Judas Priest is speed metal" I meant their faster songs to contrast with what is thrash; obviously leaving it as "Judas Priest are unadulterated gods of metal" is the most accurate. I'm not so sure that I'd call it a real metal sub-genre either, but as a descriptor it's fine to apply to speedy traditional metal bands.

Those don't sound all that fast...fast, but still just sounds like trad metal to me.

On the other hand, I consider this speed metal:

And it's not really much faster...idk.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Black Dahlia Murder? To be honest I thought they were Deathcore, but a different friend of mine thinks they are modern death metal. I love Obituary as well, but again they are more along the lines of thrash-influenced death.

I'll dig into my Morbid Angel collection as well thank you.

Unhallowed is melodic death metal. Pretty much pure AtG worship, imo. Miasma has deathcore influences but isn't deathcore (no breakdowns or other such extreme faggotry). Nocturnal is a mix of AtG worship and CC worship and is honestly just death metal. Haven't heard the new one, but judging by the cover it's just a recording the band made of themselves having gay sex, no metal at all.

lol ok, I guess BDM gets no love around here. That's kind of how I feel about The Acacia Strain, but I think that BDM actually has good riffs and instrumentation. 'Worship Only What You Bleed' gets me every time.

WTF genre is Meshuggah. I just have to say that I really freaking love this band and anything they put on record, except for the extended sections of feedback like on the track 'Elastic' Nobody I know has been able to agree on a genre for them though. Technical Death Metal is about as close as anyone can come and still agree, but that's a rather old sub-genre and Meshuggah is anything but old.

First 2 from Black Dahlia Murder are great and good, respectively, but Nocturnal is just crap. Meshuggah would be categorized as technical progressive thrash, I guess. I can't really be bothered to listen to them long enough to give it a genre, really. Also, since Meshuggah has been around for 22 years, I think they qualify as "old"

I consider Meshuggah to me more thrash than death (no death vocals, chugging groove riffage, Metallica worshipping origins...) but almost everyone calls them technical death metal. Don't really get it.
shrug.gif

EDIT: Same thing goes when people call Nevermore progressive/power. I mean, wot?

Why do you say they're not real death metal?
I don't think anyone could deny this is death metal:

Not good death metal, but undeniably death metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meshuggah moved into groove metal in their later years. Catch ThirtyThree has virtually no thrash metal elements at all, it's all about the grooving on that album.

Too much 'core'.

Not in the actual music. You don't want them to be death metal because their fanbase is mostly scene kids and they look like a deathcore band and their second album had deathcore influences, but Nocturnal is a death metal album. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.