Digital music vs Cds

But Karro are kids buying them online or downloading them illegally?

Thats the real question too.

Gimme CDs anyday.

that i don't know. i'm 40 and a musician so i don't support illegal downloading unless the music is out of print or bootleged and, most people trading that kind of music already have bought everything a band has to offer.

i don't think the general public are as rabid of music fans as say the people on this board so, i don't think it bothers them that they can't walk into best buy and get "among the living" on cd. the best buy near my house at least, has 1,000 copies of the fergie cd but if you want something that's not a new release all you can find are best of's and a few scattered releases. i think in the near future music fans will ultimatley have 2 choices (unless it's a new release). order cd's online or order downloads online. there are so many cd's by so many artists that these chain electronic stores just don't have the space to carry them. with online music shopping they really don't have the need to compete and try to carry them either.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still buy CDs of albums I want. A friend, however, has commented that she only buys digital muisc (mostly from iTunes). That scares me. I've had a hard drive and it's backup die on me before. Also, what about music quality? Is the ACC format from iTunes really that good? I have CDs made from 128kbs mp3s and I can definitely tell a difference in audio quality.

ask a 20 year old college student waliking to class with an ipod in his/her ear this and you'll get a "128kbs ?" look of confusion. people who are serious about music know what you're talking about but most people don't and i don't think it bothers them. if i'm waiting in the airport and listening to music on a 15 dollar set of headphones plugged into an mp3 player i dont care that much either.

i don't think the general public are as rabid of music fans as say the people on this board so, i don't think it bothers them that they can't walk into best buy and get "among the living" on cd. the best buy near my house at least, has 1,000 copies of the fergie cd but if you want something that's not a new release all you can find are best of's and a few scattered releases.

I have to admit that the Best Buy near me actually does have a decent selection, including Among The Living!:headbang: I was surprised to see it, but there it was!

I buy everything now on iTunes. First of all, the quality is just as good, if not, better than CD. iTunes don't scratch. They often give you bonus tracks and videos. I live in the city which means I have no car. My iPod is where all of my music is. Alot of CD's these days are encoded so that you can't burn them on to iTunes. Fuck the artwork, I just want the music.

I absolutely love getting the whole album instead of the "popular" songs. Often I go back and listen to an album I haven't heard in a while and find that I really like a song I may not have when I bought it.

I have to admit that the Best Buy near me actually does have a decent selection, including Among The Living!:headbang: I was surprised to see it, but there it was!

you're lucky dude, my neighborhood is pretty mixed but if you go to the mall or best buy you'd think everybody just needs hip hop apparel and cd's.

and a correction on my post about the mall not having a music store. hot topics still sells a very limited selection of cd's.

you're lucky dude, my neighborhood is pretty mixed but if you go to the mall or best buy you'd think everybody just needs hip hop apparel and cd's.

and a correction on my post about the mall not having a music store. hot topics still sells a very limited selection of cd's.

I haven't been in the Hot Topic in our mall...maybe they have CD's too, but I don't know.
Too many weird nu-metal kids in there! It's worse than Spencer's!:lol:

I haven't been in the Hot Topic in our mall...maybe they have CD's too, but I don't know.

my mall is scarey, it's like hip hop nation except hot topics which is full of white kids with hoodies and faces full of metal studs.

I go to Hot topic becuase I'm a rebel non conformist....just like all my friends.

Seriously, you know as well as I do since crows nest closed the only other place to buy music is best buy....or hot topic.

I absolutely love getting the whole album instead of the "popular" songs. Often I go back and listen to an album I haven't heard in a while and find that I really like a song I may not have when I bought it.

True, I do the same. Sometimes it takes years for a song to grow on you or for you to even "discover" it.

Played on a good system, yes you can.

I know this guy who is a sound freak. He knows EVERYTHING about speakers and "sound designing rooms" and so on. I´d like to test all kinds of media on his hi-fi equipment. He´s one of those guys who has CD´s full of people walking, birds and doors closing just to find the perfect sound.

För er svenskar här... killen är som Farbror Barbro, "Det finns inga genvägar till det perfekta soundet!" :lol: