Digital Pic vs. Traditional>Scan

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I was wondering (again for Trav and other artists) when dealing with pictures you take, do you use mostly digital or traditional>scan?

If digital, I know it only goes to about 72 dpi still no matter the megapixel (unless I am wrong) so does it still handle well when printed (not home printing, but CD covers etc.).

I have an olympus 3000 3.3 Megapixel and love the hell out of it. Takes high quality pics! Was just wondering if they were useable in the cd cover World. Thanks!

I use traditional methods of scanning my photos and negatives. the only high quality digital camera that ive seen come through here at work (i work in a professional lab) is the Nikon D1. it costs an arm and a leg. but the quality is great. BUUUUUUUT on the other hand you can't get any kind of cool processing mistakes or alterations in the processing like you can with traditional negatives because of it being digital from the start.

did that make sense?

i use film and probaly wont touch digital for some time.
the image data in film is still way beyond what you can get in digital.
I'm no guru, but i understand there is even much more image data in a disposable film camera than in a 8,000 dollar digital camera.

i know you can get away with digital for letter size art but i dont know how the quality starts behaving when you stretch into posters and the like...

T

I only use digital images. I have a 3 megapixel camera and it works fine. It's enough resolution for CD-artwork, but as Travis said, if we are talking posters it's not the ultimate solution.

But I love the speed of it... to be able to take a walk and come home with 50-100 pictures. The one that is bad.. just throw them away.. no waste of film..

And I heard there are new cameras on the way with 6-10 megapixel... so the future looks bright.

Trav,

when you start doing pics do you do them straight into 300dpi or do you use even higher resolution? I mean if you do covers and you have to do posters out of them - 300 dpi isn't enough...

anyways what kinda mac do you use?

T