Dio-Master Of The Moon

Walter_Langkowski

Neuroses Facilitator
Well, this has been officially released now for almost a week and I picked it up last Friday. I think I've played it about 5-6 times now so I think I can comment on it now.

This was hyped a bit by Ronnie saying how it was going to be a lot like Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer in the heaviness department of things, as his last album Killing The Dragon was a bit more Rock-oriented in sound. I would have to say that it has it's moments with some borderline BS riffs from Craig Goldy, but overall I wouldn NOT say that it is in the same league as Dehumanizer.

Dio as always sounds fantastic, and there are some definite stand-out tracks, such as "The Eyes", "In Dreams", "One More For The Road", and "Shivers". However, a lot of the rest of the tracks fall right in the middle of a problematic area, being that the songs are either too slow to rock out, or that they are not heavy enough for a slower direction (too little for Dehumanizer.) Still, the songs do rattle around in your head enough for some quality moments.

If I were to rate this CD, I would give it a solid 7 out of 10, as I am a huge fan of Ronnie's voice. For newer fans (or not as crazed ones) this would probably warrant a 6 out of 10.

Whatever you think of the music though, the cover still rules big time! :worship:

Ahh, I was about to make a Thread about this album but then I saw this.

Yeah, I've listened to it a few times, but I'm really digging it. Especially the One more for the Road, the title track, Shivers, The Eyes, Living a Lie, and I Am. THe Man and In Dreams are pretty awesome too. The End of the World and Death By Love are so so, but not bad. I just really enjoy it, maybe a bit more than Killing the Dragon (That one was pretty cool too).

and I'm gonna go see him on the 2nd of October.

\\m//

Dio's always going to hold a special place in my heart and I see him play live most any chance I get.

That said, his biggest problem, IMHO, is everything tends to be the same tempo. It's a good formula, but sometimes it does sound like a formula.

I've listened to the disk a few times now & I'm not impressed. It's a bit heavier than killing the Dragon, but none of the songs have any real killer hooks (musically or vocally). I'd rank it a notch below KtD, which is unfortuante since I don't like KtD all that much.

Dio's 90s & 00s output (with the exception of Magica & maybe Strange Highways) has been pretty mediocre.

wdiv said:
I've listened to the disk a few times now & I'm not impressed. It's a bit heavier than killing the Dragon, but none of the songs have any real killer hooks (musically or vocally). I'd rank it a notch below KtD, which is unfortuante since I don't like KtD all that much.

Dio's 90s & 00s output (with the exception of Magica & maybe Strange Highways) has been pretty mediocre.
Wow....you've just got to love the differences that fans of the same band(s) can experience.

For example, I find Master of the Moon to have the MOST hooks of any Dio solo records, particularly the choruses in "Man Who Would Be King" & "In Dreams".
The album is full of melody (The Eyes, Shiver, title track).

Although 'Killing the Dragon' was a strong record, in my view, 'Master' blows it away.

Also, in my view, "Magica" is a dull bore-fest. After repeated listens, it tends to grow on you, but you almost have to "force" it on yourself.

But, that's the beauty of opinion!