Discovering Opeth

i saw opeth live at the sounds of the underground tour. the girl i was with had a friend there that told us opeth sucked so we didn't watch them. we ended up catching the last bit of whatever song was on, and then they played demon of the fall, which blew me away. i never heard such powerful, raw metal vocals. i was so impressed i bought my arms, your hearse which had demon of the fall on it (up until then it was the only song i had ever heard by them so that was what i was going by). i still think my arms, your hearse is by far their greatest record.

I first heard Blackwater and wasn't really impressed. I think it was because the first song I heard was Harvest and to this day I can't really get into that song. Anywho, I listened to more of the other songs on the cd and soon began to really like it. Then I listened to Morningrise and fell in love! I realised one day that I was playing Morningrise more than any other cd. Soon I got the whole collection of Opeth and liked them FAR more than Borgir or Cradle. They also got me into some other metal bands like Arch Enemy who I now also love. So I guess for me it took a short while before it REALLY grew on me. Oh also, the first time someone said check out Opeth I mistaked them for Otep and was like "This band sucks". It took a while before my friend and I realised we were talking about two different bands :D

blimey said:
Mike knocked on my door and said "ummm...hi, want to listen to my band?". True story.

but you're not Lee_B :p

about 7 years ago i bought a century media sampler CD... Identity IV. When was on that compilation. Didn't think too much of it, but i went ahead and bought the 3 albums Opeth had out at the time anyway, since i read a bunch of reviews saying they were an untouchable metal band. For a few months i half assed listened to those albums but still didn't see the big deal. One night when no one was home i put on Morningrise and went to bed. Woke up to the end of TNATSW in a cold sweat and listened through the rest of the album in the dark in awe. 5 years of nearly hopeless obsession ensued. Possibly still my favorite metal band.