Dissection vs. Sacramentum

Dissection or Sacramentum?

• Total voters

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
I'm completely on the fence here.

In terms of output, Dissection wins with two classic albums, but I think Far Away from the Sun topples both of them individually.

And castles are way cooler than grim reapers and carriage drivers.

The last Dissection album was pretty terrible but I still went with them anyway because they were one of the first extreme metal bands I really got into at a young age and Storm of the Light's Bane holds a special place in my heart.

i listen to dissection more, though i believe that sacramentum album is better.

Dawn's first album is the best of the style, though.

I'm going to put Undecided because, I've never heard anything from Sacramentum. Any suggestions on what I should check out?

The last Dissection album was pretty terrible but I still went with them anyway because they were one of the first extreme metal bands I really got into at a young age and Storm of the Light's Bane holds a special place in my heart.

This, except replace Storm... with The Somberlain. I've been into Sacramentum for almost as long anyway, and I do know that Far Away From the Sun is objectively better than anything Dissection recorded, but nothing sends chills down my spine like the title track from Dissection's debut. Even after all these years... magical album.

This, except replace Storm... with The Somberlain. I've been into Sacramentum for almost as long anyway, and I do know that Far Away From the Sun is objectively better than anything Dissection recorded, but nothing sends chills down my spine like the title track from Dissection's debut. Even after all these years... magical album.

traitor

2evydm9.jpg

i always get tingles just looking at this, probably because i know such AMAZING music is hiding within it. it is fucking excellent artwork though.

That title track on the first Dissection album is one of the best songs they ever recorded. I'd say FAFTS is better than anything Dissection ever did, and actually I think Sacramentum has a better track record. They never made a terrible album even though nothing ever matched up to FAFTS, but Dissection has done some really bad stuff. Oh and Dawn's first album ranks right up there with FAFTS imo. Seriously, if you haven't heard that album YOU MUST DO SO IMMEDIATELY OR ELSE YOU ARE FUCKING GAY ACCORDING TO MY IMPECCABLE JUDGMENT.

I've been into Sacramentum for almost as long anyway, and I do know that Far Away From the Sun is objectively better than anything Dissection recorded, but nothing sends chills down my spine like the title track from Dissection's debut.

So wrong and so right in the same post. I've never gotten into Far Away From The Sun at all, even though i have given it repeated listens. The song The Somberlain though is among the best metal songs created, the intro alone gives me goosebumps.

fafts can take a long time to get into, it definitely did for me, but it's SO INCREDIBLE when it hits. indescribable magic, esp. 'cries from a restless soul' through 'beyond all horizons' methinks. it has the feeling of a totally peaceful death, the sun going down after a long journey indicating that it's time to rest in the beautiful dark.

I'm not saying it's bad but i've just never been able to get into it in the years i've had it. I can get what people like about it, the desolate feeling and sometimes otherworldly emotional and bizzare melodies, and maybe i would have liked it if i heard it in another period of life, like you know some records you have special relations to because they remind you of something strongly. I don't have that kind of relationship to it.

As good as FAFTS is, it's kind of a shame how much attention it gets over The Coming of Chaos, which is pretty damn good as well. And Dissucktion is gay

Dawn's first album is the best of the style, though.

Fuck no. Dawn's first album is good, no doubt, but not nearly as engaging as Sacramentum at their best (Dawn are often bloated in their songwriting, Sacramentum are never this way).

Far Away From the Sun and Finis Malorum trump Dissection's best work several times over. And The Coming of Chaos is still pretty decent for what it is, unlike Dissection's third album--which is clearly rubbish. Therefore, anyone who votes for Dissection is a moron.