Divine Wings of Tragedy vs. The Odyssey

Diving Wings of Tragedy vs The Odyssey (songs not albums)

• Divine Wings of Tragedy

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • The Odyssey

Votes: 28 47.5%

• Total voters
I have a VERY hard time deciding between these two songs, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I guess what this means is that these are truely two absolute masterpieces.

In regards to the song I vote Divine Wings. To me, it's just more interesting and powerful. I like the Oyssey, but I don't love it. I love the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Album-wise, I don't know. I think I like them equally as much.

Odyssey--not even close. Russels voice is so low in the mix on DWOT it ruins the album--whoever mixed that should be shot for hiding his voice way back in all that reverb--plus his voice is awesome, but not as pro as it sounds now

scanner313 said:

Nice exclamation points. A/B Accolade 1 and 2. If you have any engineering experience you'll hear it immediately. Russells voice and the writing is not as polished as it is now---are you saying they-themselves-- would not agree with that?

There are some great parts and melodies--but there are also those left--over Malmsteen melodies that crept into everyone's music at that time which quite frankly is boring(it sounded like Allen hated singing those types of melodies too..if you know what Im talking about they are mozart type stuff). One thing is for sure --they are not on any of their new stuff

If your european you may still like that stuff. Hey..to each his own

John B. said:
Nice exclamation points. A/B Accolade 1 and 2. If you have any engineering experience you'll hear it immediately. Russells voice and the writing is not as polished as it is now---are you saying they-themselves-- would not agree with that?

There are some great parts and melodies--but there are also those left--over Malmsteen melodies that crept into everyone's music at that time which quite frankly is boring(it sounded like Allen hated singing those types of melodies too..if you know what Im talking about they are mozart type stuff). One thing is for sure --they are not on any of their new stuff

If your european you may still like that stuff. Hey..to each his own
Thanks, I like using exclamation points when I am trying to emphasize what I am saying, as in this case. I used 3 of them solely because of your statement that Russell's voice being low in the mix on TDWOT "ruins the album". I would have to assume that by "ruins" you are stating that it renders the album unlistenable. I just can't imagine anyone being that picky. I personally think the production on TDWOT is the best overall that they've had on any of the albums. I think everything blends together perfectly whereas on the later albums there's always been 1 or 2 things I didn't care for (drum mix on Twilight and Odyssey and the vocals on V). I don't believe Russ' voice is drowned in reverb, nor do I think it is at all too low in the mix (although I do think it's a little too low on "V", but that's a different subject).
Has the production gotten better (or at least crisper/cleaner) on later albums, sure. But I don't consider it necessarily better. There are things I like better on the later albums but when it comes to pure meshing of all sounds I think TDWOT is the best they have.
And as far as Russell's voice and writing being more polished on later albums, you would expect that from a band who is progressing in their music. Although I believe that the writing was pretty comparable from then to know. And I most definitely think Russell's voice (both in sound and use) on TDWOT was at a higher level than on The Odyssey, because it required a more dynamic range for those songs. And I highly doubt that Russ "hated" singing anything on TDWOT. Every song on that album is great, and his performance doesn't indicate any regret or contempt for what he's singing.
Anyway, I disagree with most of what you said. And if you think the production on TDWOT "ruins the album" then you are way too critical. Look past the production and listen to the music itself. I can't imagine what you must think of Damnation and the self titled albums.
And of course, it's your opinion, as is mine.