Divine Wings of Tragedy

SymphonyXV

Mar 9, 2010
Albany, NY
Well for the last few years or so I've been addicted to the V album and I was willing to call it the greatest album I had ever heard...until last night. I listened to the Divine Wings of Tragedy album in full for the first time and it was the single best thing that ever went through my ears ever. I don't think I could ever find a better album. I like it more than Into the Electric Castle, The Wall, Operation Mindcrime and The Final Experiment.

Has anyone else really been attached to a single Symphony X album before turning onto another one of their albums? Also just wondering has anyone seen SX in 1997 when they toured for this album and did they play the title track? The only time I have ever heard of the title track being played was on the live album.

stay :headbang:

Well I'm kinda surprised you've been into V for years and haven't checked DWOT until now. Glad you liked it though. :cool:

The Accolade and the title track are timeless gems.

Well I'm kinda surprised you've been into V for years and haven't checked DWOT until now. Glad you liked it though. :cool:

The Accolade and the title track are timeless gems.

Well first in summer of 2008 I heard about SX's V on a best of prog list online and bought it then I didn't really understand what it was all about I kind of put it on my shelf until October then I fell in love with it and bought the Odyssey and Paradise Lost and they kind of disappointed me because they sounded nothing like V and I hadn't really gotten into SX's discography until I heard the live album on a long airplane flight from NYC to LA and got to learn a lot more about their songs so I bought Twilight in Olympus and Divine Wings and I love them. I am just starting to get used to SX's newer stuff.

I think Witching Hour has great music but crappy vocal melodies, Pharaoh has great vocals but sub-par music, and Medusa is pretty good all-around (although the quiet interlude doesn't really fit). The rest of the album is excellent, though; the title track and Candlelight Fantasia are both in my top 10 Symphony X tunes.

Eh, all three of those songs feel like one big "The Sacrifice" to me. Though, I actually think "The Sacrifice" is a better song.

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Olympus
DISC 1:
1. Of Sins and Shadows
2. Sea of Lies
3. Out of the Ashes
4. The Accolade
5. Smoke and Mirrors
6. Orion - The Hunter
7. Through the Looking Glass

DISC 2:
1. Sonata
2. In the Dragon's Den
3. The Relic
4. Church of the Machine (now minus the intro)
5. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
6. Candlelight Fantasia
JAPANESE BONUS TRACK: Lady of the Snow

Eh, all three of those songs feel like one big "The Sacrifice" to me. Though, I actually think "The Sacrifice" is a better song.

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Olympus
DISC 1:
1. Of Sins and Shadows
2. Sea of Lies
3. Out of the Ashes
4. The Accolade
5. Smoke and Mirrors
6. Orion - The Hunter
7. Through the Looking Glass

DISC 2:
1. Sonata
2. In the Dragon's Den
3. The Relic
4. Church of the Machine (now minus the intro)
5. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
6. Candlelight Fantasia
JAPANESE BONUS TRACK: Lady of the Snow

Is there really a cd for with this tracklist? And no I loved the Pharaoh. It makes me happy that what's done is done and even though most the fans hate a particular song, it's staying on the CD no matter what. But I do think the 50 second intro of Church of the Machine is kind of annoying but I consider it like going on a roller coaster and that first minute it like you going up the hill then when the song starts you go down a steep drop and the thing goes in full motion!

Also I think Twilight and Divine have 2 completely different atmospheres so it's best they are 2 seperate albums.

Is there really a cd for with this tracklist? And no I loved the Pharaoh. It makes me happy that what's done is done and even though most the fans hate a particular song, it's staying on the CD no matter what. But I do think the 50 second intro of Church of the Machine is kind of annoying but I consider it like going on a roller coaster and that first minute it like you going up the hill then when the song starts you go down a steep drop and the thing goes in full motion!

Also I think Twilight and Divine have 2 completely different atmospheres so it's best they are 2 seperate albums.

No, I made that up.

Honestly the reason I don't like Pharoah, Witching, and Medusa is because of the vocals. I just really don't like the melodies on any of them, and as a vocal-obsessed listener I can't get past that. The music in them is pretty cool.

No, I made that up.

Honestly the reason I don't like Pharoah, Witching, and Medusa is because of the vocals. I just really don't like the melodies on any of them, and as a vocal-obsessed listener I can't get past that. The music in them is pretty cool.

Man, I love the vocals on pharoah and medusa, nice balance of aggression. Though at first I disliked the vocals on these tracks but they grew on me over time.

I felt this way about Wicked on The Odyssey but that too grew on me.

Witching is well... it's interesting :p

I think when it comes to "bad" tracks on Divine Wings, my only problem really is Out of The Ashes. The rest of the tracks are good to great imo. Just can't really stand that one.

I think when it comes to "bad" tracks on Divine Wings, my only problem really is Out of The Ashes. The rest of the tracks are good to great imo. Just can't really stand that one.

:OMG:

To each their own, I guess.

As far as Pharaoh goes, I do like the song overall. However, I do think it drags on for too long (in the middle), and is easily overshadowed by like six or seven other songs from that album (in most people's opinions).

It has cool bass and catchy-as-hell chorus.

@ eyeballs comment about Pharaoh vocals : Its an odd approach for sure but I like it for that, kind of makes you listen and think "hummm". Interesting that I have been sitting here right now listening to AIC Dirt thinking about how it has a few really wierd melodies and "why?"