Do Most Iron Maiden Fans Understand the Songs?

Acujer

Apr 14, 2008
What do you guys think? Do most fans look into the lyrics or just bang their heads?

Do you guys know what they are referring to:

1) Wickerman is who and was used by what group of people?
2) 2 Minutes to Midnight is referring to what clock?
3) Revelations is a guy doing what?
4) What is a Moonchild? Who made this phrase popular and wrote a book titled this?
5) Who is Alexander the Great about? ok, maybe this one is easy. Duh!
6) Brighter Than a Thousand Suns is a quote about what?
7) 22 Acacia Ave- I assume everyone gets this. Or maybe you've been there? I mean 15 Quid is cheaper than most dates. This is a sequel to what song?
8) Aces High- No, it isn't a card game.
9) To Tame a Land is about what book?
10) Mr. Roboto is about what? Who was Kilroy and why was he here?- Just wanted to see if you're paying attention.

Yes it does matter. It's Iron Maiden, not metal fluff, and they take the time to write intelligent lyrics about particular topics that they want people to comprehend. These aren't just feel good songs with lyrics like "Tutty fruity oh rudy." This is intelligent poetry. Not all the lyrics to all the songs can be understood as some are subjective and open to interpretation, but they obviously write them as not just fun little sounds, but as any poet takes the time to write meaningful poems.

Yes it does matter. It's Iron Maiden, not metal fluff, and they take the time to write intelligent lyrics about particular topics that they want people to comprehend. These aren't just feel good songs with lyrics like "Tutty fruity oh rudy." This is intelligent poetry. Not all the lyrics to all the songs can be understood as some are subjective and open to interpretation, but they obviously write them as not just fun little sounds, but as any poet takes the time to write meaningful poems.

To be honest, I don't really care. A good song is a good song regardless of the lyrics. I've never been a lyrics freak, they just don't matter that much to me.

So you both post on this thread to say you don't care? If you don't care, then why even say anthing here? Do you know how braindead it sounds to not even understand or even care to understand the lyrics of one of your favorite bands and make a point to not want to understand? I guess thinking hurts your brain. Oh no, can't do that!

So you both post on this thread to say you don't care? If you don't care, then why even say anthing here? Do you know how braindead it sounds to not even understand or even care to understand the lyrics of one of your favorite bands and make a point to not want to understand? I guess thinking hurts your brain. Oh no, can't do that!

Because most of heavy metal themes are pretty much the same: self-empowerment, evil, battles, rise up, sorrow, death, the devil, backstabbing women, suicide, genocide, etc. Why would one want to dwell on that stuff? I don't want to be depressed! lol.

Ok so let me rephrase.

What do you guys think? Do most fans look into the lyrics or just bang their heads?

Do you guys know what they are referring to:

1) Wickerman is who and was used by what group of people?
2) 2 Minutes to Midnight is referring to what clock?
3) Revelations is a guy doing what?
4) What is a Moonchild? Who made this phrase popular and wrote a book titled this?
5) Who is Alexander the Great about? ok, maybe this one is easy. Duh!
6) Brighter Than a Thousand Suns is a quote about what?
7) 22 Acacia Ave- I assume everyone gets this. Or maybe you've been there? I mean 15 Quid is cheaper than most dates. This is a sequel to what song?
8) Aces High- No, it isn't a card game.
9) To Tame a Land is about what book?
10) Mr. Roboto is about what? Who was Kilroy and why was he here?- Just wanted to see if you're paying attention.

I probably do but I don't read into lyrics that much so I don't think about it. We're not all as intellectual as you apparently.

Excuse me whilst I go and stare at some walls because I'm braindead... :rolleyes:

So I guess I got my answer. At least for the people on this forum the answer is NO!
Well that's too bad since Maiden has some brilliant lyrics about interesting books, historical events and esoteric rituals. Like the Doomsday Clock for 2 Minutes to Midnight or the Druid rituals with the Wickerman, Crowley's Moonchild and a song referencing Frank Herbert's Dune. Not fair to describe them as you did Nav.

Maidens lyrics are above typical fare but many folks don't pay attention. If you do you are in for a treat.

Rhime, Powerslave, Alexander, Aces, Quest, The Longest Day. I could go on and on.

Longest Day is one where the mood of the music and the lyrical content go hand in hand.

Jim

I know the answers to about 2/3rds of those questions, and while I certainly appreciate (greatly) that Maiden song lyrics are generally intelligent with plenty of historical subjects and references, it's the music that does it for me.

In my 8th grade English class our teacher played "Rime" in class because we were studying Samuel Taylor Coleridge. That was the only cool thing she ever did.

Kirsten "Bruce Chickinson";10413631 said:
I know the answers to about 2/3rds of those questions, and while I certainly appreciate (greatly) that Maiden song lyrics are generally intelligent with plenty of historical subjects and references, it's the music that does it for me.

In my 8th grade English class our teacher played "Rime" in class because we were studying Samuel Taylor Coleridge. That was the only cool thing she ever did.

Exactly,I feel the same way.I`m into metal and it`s all about the music for me.I`m drawn to the guitars,the dual harmonies,the solo`s,the opening riff that gets you into the song.You just can`t beat it.If I was so into the lyrics I would be reading poetry or something not getting into metal.I saw an interview once with Bruce who said for him it`s all about the music and the lyrics are secondary, but he also said for him to sing it he has to get his mind into the story of the song.

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Music consists of words and instruments. So you have to only chose 1? It isn't like they just took a poem out of some book and sang it along to music. They write the lyrics and music to go together as 1 unit. To just dismiss as, "I only like the music" is like dude, what the hell? The lyrics are there, you are singing them, you never just took a second and wondered, what am I singing about? Or better yet, don't even care? This whole thing of its the music I like not the lyrics doesn't make sense. Obviously you can't always figure them out and you can't always analyze them, but to just dismiss the lyrics as not important, is pretty lame! Especially when they took the time to write such intricate meaningful lyrics. On an Iron Maiden forum, one can't even have a discussion about the lyrics. Very strange. Is Maiden like Rave music to you guys?
"Oooh yeah, that beat is dope. Aawwwe yeah ya feel dat grove? oh yeah baby!"

insulting forum users just cuz they like the music over the lyrics isn't cool yo.

This. Not everyone is the same.

Like I said before, I love Rammstein but I can't understand a word they're saying cos I don't speak much German. What about Maiden fans all over the world who can't speak English, yet are so passionate about the band? Do you really think the lyrics are the focal point for them? What about Losfer Words or Genghis Khan? We can't enjoy them the same cos they have no words??

Uh no. I am not saying music is only about words and instrumental music is inferior. What you are saying is you don't even care to know what the songs are about, think a discussion is worthless, and don't even pay attention to the lyrics, never want to, and think Iron Maiden is just a groove to dance to at some after hours club, while freakin with some white boy in dread locks yelling, "Woo hoo!".

Uh no. I am not saying music is only about words and instrumental music is inferior. What you are saying is you don't even care to know what the songs are about, think a discussion is worthless, and don't even pay attention to the lyrics, never want to, and think Iron Maiden is just a groove to dance to at some after hours club, while freakin with some white boy in dread locks yelling, "Woo hoo!".

Not at all. To me, lyrics take a MASSIVE backseat to the music and you need to accept others opinons on here, instead of insulting them for thinking differently to you. You have asked a question, we've answered it - so don't get all pissy cos you didn't get the answer you wanted.