Do the majority of people that...

i got my cousin very into them. most of my friends just don't appreciate it at all, one reffered to them as "bums with solos and long hair". tsk tsk
my dad says he's been gradually converted by the growls still get him a bit. every now and then though he gets into it.

For some reason, every time someone makes a comment like "what the fuck is this metal shit?" in response to Opeth it brings a smile to my face.

I'm more curious about how you all reacted to Opeth the first time you listened... I really loved the music, especially the acoustic segments, but I didn't like the growls until I read the lyrics and gave the band some serious attention. Once I listened to an album all the way through (which happened to be BWP), Opeth got me hooked. Definately my favourite band now. :)

Believe it or not, I have a harder time getting death metal fans into opeth than people who arent into death metal at all. I know something like 40+ metalheads here in NYC, maybe 10 out fo that 40+ like opeth, maybe 5 love them. Its really weird.

A lot of death metal kids are just as bad as those of the sheep mentality that many of them preach against.

They seem to think Opeth is too artsy.

Its funny, around work my regular customers are totally used to my music. Its hilarious when old people come in and say "what is this your listening to?"- I tell them Opeth and they're like- its... different. LOL
I'm very proud to say though that, I am now officially known as "the Opeth guy" by a few of my customers! Gotta love that!
This one black lady came in a few days ago while Wreath was playing and she said "wow- what the heck is that!?" I told her Opeth and she kinda shrugged... this same lady came in today while "Harvest" was playing and she said= "Now this I like- this is music!" You should've seen her face when I said- Its the same band! LOFL I love that. :D

Most of the people I've tried to get into Opeth have hated them, because of the growls. As one of my friends put it, "All that RAAARGH RAAARGH death metal shit SUCKS!" (And he owns a record store... go figure.) My girlfriend enjoys the clean vocals and progressive elements, but really only one person I've played them for has gotten into it, and that's my boss. Everyone else just pans it universally because a) it's metal or b) it has death vocals. Even the compilations I've made for people featuring only the clean tracks have been dubbed "boring" by those individuals. I just can't win. Blah.

well, most of my friends just says that all music I listen to is so called "satan-music" even though I tell them its death metal or whatever, but some friends like, some hate it, and some (few) love it. :p

Originally posted by Demonspell
LOL, I recently reacquainted my father with Crimson...he likes the first album, but finds LTIA and most of the others to be exceedingly strange...
Larks is the best! My favorite anyhow. My mom was the one to introduce King Crimson to me.

I let someone borrow Blackwater Park some time back, and he was completely blown away. I don't know many people, though, that I'd dare try to turn on to death metal.