Do you all buy Opeth cd's?

@don corleone: thanks for the response. i dont know, but maybe the situation in turkey is different. maybe album distributors really are ripping people off. perhaps they are doing something illegal and wrong there. you would know better than i.
@silent song, shadows skulk: interesting thoughts. however, i think the relative costs of CDs *has* dropped. they were $15 ten years ago and they are $15 now. we have a higher standard of living now and thus, although the actual price hasn't changed, the *cost* to average consumers has dropped. i think you are leaving out some information that only good research could bring to the forefront - like how licensing was arranged with the inventors of the CD and CD player. although i empathize, it's probably not accurate to call out the "corporate assholes" without good evidence that they *are* ripping people off. my belief is that it boils down to basic market forces. downloading pirated music is a market force - but it's *illegal*, just like insider trading. it's a big market force but it'sm illegal -for obvious reasons.

I downloaded a total of 3 Opeth tracks when I first started to get into the band, Under the weeping moon, Demon of the fall and Harvest. That was just to check them out and get an idea of what they were like before I bought anything by them. Now I only buy CD's, I hate it when I have a cheap copy, it feels like theres something missing, like theres a sort of distance between me and the music. That sounds strange, but do you know what I mean? I always seem to enjoy it more when I have the booklet in my hands and I can see the artwork and read the lyrics. I'm always getting told I'm wasting my money, but its much more satisfying to watch your cd collection grow and grow instead of some strange numbers on an MP3 player.

^yes. agreed.

so, when people say "you're wasting your money", they're really saying, "i'm stealing music, you should too". right? time for new friends.

dorian gray said:
so, when people say "you're wasting your money", they're really saying, "i'm stealing music, you should too". right? time for new friends.
:) Maybe they're saying that, but I don't do everything my friends tell me to do.
There aren't much ideologists on this planet, and those who are, are usually boring people who won't listen to decent arguments (this is not about any of the forum members, just about people)

mountain goat said:
I downloaded a total of 3 Opeth tracks when I first started to get into the band, Under the weeping moon, Demon of the fall and Harvest. That was just to check them out and get an idea of what they were like before I bought anything by them. Now I only buy CD's, I hate it when I have a cheap copy, it feels like theres something missing, like theres a sort of distance between me and the music. That sounds strange, but do you know what I mean? I always seem to enjoy it more when I have the booklet in my hands and I can see the artwork and read the lyrics. I'm always getting told I'm wasting my money, but its much more satisfying to watch your cd collection grow and grow instead of some strange numbers on an MP3 player.

I know I have been quite outspoken at various places on this thread, but you have really hit one of my nails on the head with your final sentence...

To give you a little background:

I had about 250 CDs when I gave up smoking and I spent all the cash I saved from not buying cigarettes on music. The theory was that even if my resolve broke, I would not be in a position to go and buy more cigarettes due to lack of funds (to put this in perspective, I gather a packet of 20 cigarettes here is now about £5 GBP, which I believe is the equivalent to $9USD).

Since then I have watched my collection outgrow the space I have to keep it in (and I live in a fucking big house!). Some may call me sad, but I now have a collection that runs into many thousands, not to mention a multitude of styles and rarities.

THAT, I am really proud of.

OK, so I am sad and a geek, but everone has to have a hobby.

Collecting good music on legit CD is not sad or geeky, it's common logic. On the rare occasion that I have an income, about 60% goes on music (the rest on alcohol). If I had a more consistent cash flow, I'd probably have thousands of CD's (and be much more drunk).

Décadent said:
Collecting good music on legit CD is not sad or geeky, it's common logic. On the rare occasion that I have an income, about 60% goes on music (the rest on alcohol). If I had a more consistent cash flow, I'd probably have thousands of CD's (and be much more drunk).

I have rarely found anything as satisfying as finding a real bargain CD that is rare as fuck and you have been looking for since you cannot remember when... then down the pub to celebrate with about 20 pints of Ireland's finest.

It has been a way of life for so long now.

Maybe if I had ever got into drugs things would have been different...

mountain goat said:

I know exactly what you mean. Having all the music there on the playlist, so readily accessible... it feels cheap, almost like fast food. You can lap the shit up and it tastes good, but you still feel empty afterwards. I just think that sort of mp3 hoarding really creates a gap between the listener and the music. When the music is so readily available it's alot easier dismissed and not paid as much attention as it would be due.

I think that's the deal. Most people want their music readily accessible in the one place... they don't care about anything else. The music industry basically is like the fast food industry and this is just a logical offspring.

I got introduced to Opeth by a cousin who visited me from the US. Fortunately, he knew a buddy who was letting go of Blackwater Park, Orchid, and My Arms, Your Hearse. I bought them all, and have since ordered the other albums.

at the same time moonlapse, a lot of people want the satisfaction of earning the material. if buying it is a sacrifice, and it's worth listening to, that makes it that much more satisfying knowing your sacrifice paid off. at least for me. i've spent just about all the money i don't use for food/expenses on 2 things: guitar equip which i've pretty much completed now, and cds. tons and tons of cds.

i take great pride when people come into my room and are shocked at how many stacks of binders full of CDs i own. and even more proud when they see that most of them are the real deal and not burned or downloaded. even the burned ones are usually the case of "i used to own this, but it was somehow tragically lost or damaged so i burned a new copy instead of buying it twice". in the case of my favorite bands, i have bought discs twice. i believe my family owns 3 copies of Maiden's Rock in Rio, and 4 copies of Metallica's S&M.

still, downloading is a useful tool to check out music or replace what has been lost, at least temporarily. like alexguinness, i'm a collector type.

DLing from P2P networks IMO, would fall under exception and not as a norm. The original material still is worth getting(hell, I live halfway across the globe, but I still walk the extra mile in saving up and ordering Symphony X/Threshold/Opeth or stuff from any other group that I won't expect to find in my backyard), and I look at DLing only as a last resort. Besides, I'm not on broadband yet. roflmao

I really think that buing CD's is a good thing. Around here, most people just download whatever music they want. I usually buy the cd's after I've downloaded a few songs to "check the quality". I own Orchid (I love Orchid), Damnation, Deliverance, Still life and Morningrise, and I'm very happy about that. I think Opeth is one of the bands I've got the most original CD's from.

I like to buy CD's whenever I can afford them (Expensive.. Way Expensive..), because it simply supports the bands and the record industry.

Found a new program on the web: Mercora.

You can't download songs, you can only listen to someone elses songs, like an internet radio. It's completely legal, free from adware, and an end of the (also used by me) argument "I download because I need to know what I'm going to buy."
http://www.mercora.com/

I went into town today and noticed that there is a bit of a sale on some metal stuff in my local HMV.

Loads of stuff, Opeth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, At The Gates, Nightwish, Vital Remains, etc., etc... Seem to be from £5.99 to £8.99.

I am considering buying the reissues of Orchid and Morningrise as I still do not have the bonus tracks, not have I even heard them yet. I believe that these are the only 2 released Opeth tracks I do not have.

What are they like, are they worth about nine quid, or should I just wait to pick up a cheaper copy?

I saw Ayreon at Best Buy. i was shocked. i'd have bought it but i already had the album they had for sale.

i have never EVER seen Threshold or Zero Hour or Pink Cream 69 in any record store. i had to buy them online.

Zero Hour: Imagine flipping the roles of guitar and drums, throw in a wicked singer, and themes of independence from the systems and cliches of society. their second album "Towers of Avarice" is a straight through headbangfest with odd time sigs and wicked musicianship. the epic "Demise and Vestige" is a brilliant song. Their first album "Metamorphosis" is a bit more laid back, but at the same time more intense. It has some softer sections but still amazing. ZH is actually my favorite band. They have a new album that should be out sometime soon.

This is probably a bit over-praising, but i snagged this summary from the label's site: <----- btw, that label has a ton of other great bands.
Zero Hour represent the cutting edge of tech metal. The band features twin brothers Jasun and Troy Tipton on guitars and bass, drummer Mike Guy, and vocalist Erik Rosvold. Working with Dino Alden the band has now produced The Towers of Avarice, a conceptual work that conjures a bleak vision of the future. The story tells the tale of two societies - one above ground obsessed with consumption and the restless slaves living underground that are under their control. The band has intensified their already intricate sound by eschewing longwinded solos in exchange for complexity and power. Guitar and bass interlock seamlessly only to be interrupted by a staccato assault of crushing guitar riffs and soaring vocals. Rosvold is a truly gifted singer, often compared to Ronnie James Dio and John Arch. He grabs the spotlight with his angst ridden vocals, conveying all the drama that unfolds in the tale. This truly is a future classic of complex progressive metal.

Threshold is a british prog metal band that some people compare to Dream Theater, but I think they are Dream Theater with less wankery and more melody. "Critical Mass" is a great album by them, as is their newest "Subsurface" which is very political. Older stuff that rocks just as much- "Clone" and "Hypothetical". Favorite Threshold Songs: "Light and Space" and "Ground Control"

Pink Cream 69: Think 80's. Sometimes cheesy lyrics, but the louder you turn it up the more the compulsion to headbang tears at you. I just got into these guys after hearing they'll be at ProgPowerVI. I've got their latest "Thunderdome" which rocks very hard with songs like "Another Wrong Makes A Right". Also listening to their older album "Electrified" which is a bit less metal but no less good.

I own all 7 Opeth albums along with about 450-500 others, many of them random underground CD's. I'm a student and from a wretchedly poor family to boot (thankfully I don't pay fees and have a large student loan), but I still manage to but 5 CD's a month, the cost of this varies but I rarely pay more than £10 for a CD and Never more than £11. I have a collection of 120+ MP3's of single song from album's I want to get (no more than 1 song per album) and at the beginning of each month I'll buy the albums that go with the top 2 most played songs off this list according to my audioscrobbler along with 2 CD's from bands I've seen live since my last order or am seeing live soon, the fifth is always a random underground CD or demo. This is just me and I know I'm sad for having a system but hey I'm eccentric as fuck:D

Uk residents should try these sites:
http://www.goldenlakeprods.co.uk (just about anything can be got here)
http://www.earache.com (check the webstore, US Version also available)
http://www.play.co.uk (you'd be surprised what you can get here)
http://www.grindethic.co.uk (mainly an underground Death Metal store)
http://www.peaceville.co.uk (only really good for thier own stuff but dirt cheap)
http://www.centurymedia.net (only stock their own artists but very cheap)
http://www.kolobosdistribution.co.uk (mainly Death/Black here but quick delivery)
http://www.supernalmusic.com (lot of stuff but unreliable)
http://www.plastichead.co.uk (tonnes of stuff but sloooooow delivery)
http://www.redstream.org (surprisingly efficiant international delivery and quite cheap)
http://www.theendrecords.com (again very reliable for international mail order)

or course bands homepages often stock their own stuff and Ebay is good for bargains, shopping about is great:D