Do you all buy Opeth cd's?

But reviews are only opinions of special people that have written them and not always represent your own taste. You cant say "oh you like Dream Theatre? Than you WILL like Opeth.....". For example, I searched Amazon and after i bought an Isis Cd, i could see that "other people that bought the same item also bought..." thing. I found Neurosis and Cult of Luna....and i think it was Dillinger Escape Plan. I was reading through the reviews of different cds of these bands. Most of them were rated 5 out of 5 stars, so i gave them a try with a download tool. If i would buy by review i would now own 3cds that are NOT my taste and that I would find very boring....

What's wrong with those record stores? The only interesting album they had was Anthems, for 19 €, way too much. The other store had nothing. They've put all their metal albums into 2 shelves... Linkin Park etc...
Because of the lack of metal, I bought Tubular Bells 2003, € 10, 2 discs :D

i'm glad someone brought up libraries. i love reading and i read alot. thusly, i buy alot of books. i rarely go to the library because mine happens to be kinda creepy - with all the homeless people chillin in it. when i lived in a small town, i virtually lived at the library - it was a different experience. anyway, i have mixed feelings about libraries. it appears that the literature industry is doing well - with the proliferation of borders and barnes and nobles and countless others. but, i feel strange renting books for free (despite that my taxes have already paid for them). then again, libraries are a hallmark of an intelligent and educated civilization. it's hard for me to criticize them but i see the parallels to the subject at hand. i'll have some more thoughts later.

ps: one thing i'm trying to stop doing is going to the bookstore and reading magazines for free. sometimes i'll justify it by buying an overpriced coffee but i'm still stealing the written word. anyone remember when bookstores would kick your ass out if you stood there and read magazines? i do.

pps: something that makes me cringe is at these bookstores, when a couple sits down with a bunch of books, reads them, and then leaves without putting them back. it's so rude.

You've brought a few good memories again, Dorian.
Sometimes when I had no money to buy books or to do some investigations for that they were asking me in my high school years, I used to go to the Library and I love/loved to spend hours reading any thing. Reading is a very good activity when you're bored, I hardly prefer reading instead of watch tv...
Now I'm finishing Faust (Goetthe) and about to begin a book that is some kind of tribute to Tolkkien with 10 fantastic chapters. (I haven't had the possibility of reading anything by Tolkkien, due to the high prices of the books in these moments, but as soon as I finish what I'm reading, I'm going to borrow it of someone).
As for what you said of staying in the 'bookstores', regrettably here it continues happening. They bet for a more and more ignorant country instead of leaving people submerge a little bit in a very interesting reading. It is very sad.
But thank you for the memories.

Luz.-

dorian gray said:
ps: one thing i'm trying to stop doing is going to the bookstore and reading magazines for free. sometimes i'll justify it by buying an overpriced coffee but i'm still stealing the written word. anyone remember when bookstores would kick your ass out if you stood there and read magazines? i do.

pps: something that makes me cringe is at these bookstores, when a couple sits down with a bunch of books, reads them, and then leaves without putting them back. it's so rude.

i buy books if they are a series that i know i'm into. i also buy books that i've read, and liked so much that i want to have with me to read again at a later time. however, i also enjoy the library as a kind of mp3 database where i can go and check out a book. literally... and figuratively "check out" to see if i like it.

No, reviews are pointless and pathetic. They merely are the voice of a whining journalist / critic who's opinion soley reflects his / her opinion. If I want something I would rather expierance it then hear about it from someone.

Interesting points.

Libraries are in some ways similar. To my knowledge though, if you go and rent a book and like it (or want to finish reading it at a later time) you go and buy the book so that you may use it in the way that anyone else that owns it may. I am not aware of people that go and borrow a book from a library and then photocopy it in its entirity. Do you? Certainly in this country, when you borrow a book from a library if you don't comply with the terms of the lending (or reviewing), there are fines to pay. I assume this is a global standard. I am not much of a reader since my formative years, so cannot really comment from a personal perspective. Music has been my life since then.

My "reaction" is not against reviewing purposes, it never was. It is against people that try and distort the principles that most people have been describing as reviewing to the extent that they can feel justified in what they are doing.

I really do feel sorry for a lot of the people that are so defensive on this thread. I can only assume that you will never know the thrill of the postman delivering an unheard "Orchid" after only hearing "The Apostle In Triumph" ,or whatever track it was on The Candlelight Compilation, or for "Morningrise" to finally arrive when you have waited SO long for its release and know that the reviews are telling of "To Bid You Farewell" (still probably my favourite track). Similarly, searching through the sale sections of record stores, wading through racks of utter toss and finding a real bargain that you have been wanting to hear for what seems like ever. There is a real... almost romance to this. THAT feeling is what is probably responsible for me buying literally thousands of CDs (and going without many a meal for the privelege!).

If you were to apply your same unflinching justifications of "if it is crap, I won't buy it" to music journalism then you would see the quality either rise, or you would discover so many amazing things. It is not difficult to use a search engine, read up on bands, download the tracks that the bands offer up for review purposes, listen to cover mount CDs, etc. I still tape trade with people (albeit these days with compilation CDs). Without this I would not have heard Derek Sherinian for quite some time, after hearing it I found a copy of another of his CDs that I already have at home, so that has been in heavy rotation in my stereo of late too.

Maybe this is easier for me because I like many many different styles of music and can appreciate most things for their merit. Maybe it is just because I am not looking for a free meal with no repercussions...

i used to enjoy buying books as soon as they came out but quickly learned that they are incredibly overpriced (in the sense that in a month, they will be 35-50% off) and are extremely annoying when moving. i moves to a smaller house and wish i has less books. i probably wont buy anymore. but that leaves me with going to the library to read books. i dont feel right about that. BUT, i do pay taxes. so, have i, in a sense, already paid for my privilege to read the books? ive paid for SOMEONE to read them. it might as well be me. i dunno.

as far as the feeling of delivery: i agree completely. my personal favorite is going to the store and just picking something that looks cool. when i play it in my car on the way and home and it's a good album - that's a great feeling.

dorian gray said:
as far as the feeling of delivery: i agree completely. my personal favorite is going to the store and just picking something that looks cool. when i play it in my car on the way and home and it's a good album - that's a great feeling.
yeah, i am known to buy randomly at lasercd.com or at the bargain bin at record stores. its a fun thing to do, but i also like to be sure what i'm getting is quality if i am low on money. if i'm out of money, then no cds. but if i have enough for just one, i'd like to make my money count. surprises are great though.

thing with the library is, even if you bought a book i doubt you'd photocopy the whole thing. nobody does that... at least that i've heard of. the experience of owning a song is to hear it, to have a book is to read it, but once you know the story, most of the time (at least for me) you've retained that experience even if you return it. a song however, is so short that to experience it fully requires many many many plays. whether it's the same as downloading/renting a book is not really clear.

Silent Song said:
thing with the library is, even if you bought a book i doubt you'd photocopy the whole thing. nobody does that... at least that i've heard of. the experience of owning a song is to hear it, to have a book is to read it, but once you know the story, most of the time (at least for me) you've retained that experience even if you return it. a song however, is so short that to experience it fully requires many many many plays. whether it's the same as downloading/renting a book is not really clear.
The analogy with mp3's is this: sometimes I download an album, listen to it for some time and then delete it because I'm tired of it. Pretty much like a book from the library :)

damn, im late for this wonderful thread.

here's the situation in turkey:

foreign CDs are REALLY expensive here. yes, when you change the price to euros, it's very much the same: 15-17 euros.

a-ha, but here's the bloody twist:

a euro is 1.8 turkish liras (it used to be 18,000,000 but we just recently got rid of 6 zeros). so that makes a CD around 30 liras.

well, that couldnt possibly mean much to those of you who havent been here.

the lowest wage as set by the law is 350 liras. thats probably what the poorest person gets from his job.

someone who has a standard job at an office probably gets around 650-700. people with more experience at their work get more.

the lowest rent for an apartment (in istanbul...and it's the most expensive city in turkey of course) in a decent town is between 200-300. and thats probably only fit for one person (at most two).

hmmm let me see what else i can tell you.

i know many people who get by for a few days for the price of a single foreign CD.

i, myself, can have one REALLY decent meal (with its drink, dessert and all that) at a posh restaurant. but i have fairly good life standards, so dont take me into consideration. many people in turkey cant afford to go to the cinema as it costs about 7-8 euros per person.

now, i was actually going to tell you about a curious thing here: local CDs here, at most cost 15 liras (thats 10 euros). but because of piracy (and yes only because of that because record company officials made statements about that in the press), turkish record companies lowered some of their CD prices to 5-7.5 million! thats 3-4 euros.

now this showed everyone that those companies COULD actually make money with that price. so have been ripped off all these years?

and that makes me think...are foreign record compaines ripping off millions of people around the world? thats something for everyone to chew on.

and here's a wonderful site about it:

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/facts/truth

p.s. i have all opeth albums as originals. hey, theyre my fave band after all.

new porsches are quite expensive. i think i might steal one because my choice of career, income, and economy doesnt allow me to afford it. hopefully, if i can get enough middle income people to steal porsches, they'll eventually lower the price.

that's basically what you said as it applies here. sorry you live in a relatively poor country, but that doesn't justify stealing music. no offense intended - just calling you out on your logic.

Luz said:
(I haven't had the possibility of reading anything by Tolkkien, due to the high prices of the books in these moments, but as soon as I finish what I'm reading, I'm going to borrow it of someone)

That´s true... they´re REALLY expensive... Lord of the Rings with the drawings it´s about 120 euros... (I bought it long time ago for 25) and some Tolkien´s books are impossible to find...

Libraries are subsidized by the government and thus your and our taxes and library fees are what is paying for you to view these books.
Music is not subsidized thus there are no Music Libraries.
To those here that say they can't afford to buy the music,
lemme ask you this: How much did the computer cost that you are using to download this music and what is the monthly charge for internet access?
It prolly means that your parents bought the comp, pay the monthly fees,buy you clothes, feed you, pay your way through life up to age 21 or so and give you money to spend, like an allowance.
You prolly take that money to buy blank CD's and party with the rest of it unless there is a pair of shoes, or something that you can't get for free, that you just have to acquire.
I really think the "abuse" of this downloading thing lies in the parents of these 15 to 18 year olds that buy their kids anything they want except for the music CD's.
Spoiled children that believe they can do no wrong are the ones at fault here and they have brought us to this point; where it is illegal to download songs off the internet.
Not all teenagers, just the majority of music downloaders.JAFO

Don Corleone: very interesting words and links. But I'm not going to add anything else to this thread since it's been some pages now that everything is repited all over again. The truth is, however illegal it is, and however criminal millions of people all over the world are, the whole music industry will have to find a way somehow because there's nobody and no law and no prison which can stop right now the huge social revolution which is taking place. Most people will still buy their favourite band CD's, there's no doubt about it, and most of them will also save some cash in a product which some times is crappy. This thread could go on forever...