Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

I thought Avril Lavigne was black metal...you're telling me she isn't? :rolleyes:

I don't watch TV and I've never watched MTV so I have no idea as to what they play. However, if you're telling me that Hip Hop isn't a very marketable genre of music, you've got to be joking.

Hip Pop is a very marketable/commercialized genre of music and widely enjoyed by sluts, morons, wiggers, tools, etc....

Hip Pop is nothing even remotely close to Hip Hop (just like pop punk - avril lavigne - is nothing remotely close to punk)

Hip Pop is a very marketable/commercialized genre of music and widely enjoyed by sluts, morons, wiggers, tools, etc....

Hip Pop is nothing even remotely close to Hip Hop (just like pop punk - avril lavigne - is nothing remotely close to punk)

Yes, I understand that groups like 50 Cent are pop artists, but theres many people I've met who listen to the commerical shit like that, in addition to listening to Hip Hop. You're making it sound like Hip Hop is some kind of obscure genre of music.

And yeah, its obvious Avril Lavigne is pop...I wasn't aware that Avril Lavigne is labelled pop punk since I see no punk influence either.

Yes, I understand that groups like 50 Cent are pop artists, but theres many people I've met who listen to the commerical shit like that, in addition to listening to Hip Hop. You're making it sound like Hip Hop is some kind of obscure genre of music.

there is no self-respecting hip hop fan who would ever listen to commercial shit like 50 cent - whoever you met is either a moron or a poser (who doesn't know anything about hip hop)

nobody hates bubblegum rap more than the hip hop community

Exactly, and I would even say that metal is marketable and has its commercial side (but to a far lesser extent than most genres).

So could you not consider that there is no art form that is essentially commercial, and that they all have a commercial side to them, however limited?

Even 'pop' exists outside mainstream commercial circles, though it usually extends the aesthetic of pop music into more serious songwriting and the like.

there is no self-respecting hip hop fan who would ever listen to commercial shit like 50 cent - whoever you met is either a moron or a poser (who doesn't know anything about hip hop)

nobody hates bubblegum rap more than the hip hop community

Well the guy I've talked to tells me he listens to Hip Hop. Jurassic 5 is the only group he named that I know of or could recall. And I can see what you mean but the point I was making was that Pop music like 50cent has brought commercial light to Hip Hop. So I don't find it odd that a person would listen to both.

Likewise bands like Cradle of Filth has brought much commerical success to black metal, though they aren't a black metal band. Yet, many people listen to those bands in addition to black metal. And bands like Dimmu Borgir have made black metal more marketable and commercial - yet, metal still falls short of the commercial success of many genres such as Hip Hop, pop etc.

Well the guy I've talked to tells me he listens to Hip Hop. Jurassic 5 is the only group he named that I know of or could recall. And I can see what you mean but the point I was making was that Pop music like 50cent has brought commercial light to Hip Hop. So I don't find it odd that a person would listen to both.

Likewise bands like Cradle of Filth has brought much commerical success to black metal, though they aren't a black metal band. Yet, many people listen to those bands in addition to black metal. And bands like Dimmu Borgir have made black metal more marketable and commercial - yet, metal still falls short of the commercial success of many genres such as Hip Hop, pop etc.

trust me, good hip hop is plenty obscure.... ask 100 random people in the streets - similar amount of people will tell you that they have ever heard of behemoth as they have heard of jedi mind tricks (pretty small percentage)

in any case - music is as cyclical thing

hip hop is popular today - nu metal was mid to late 90s - grunge was popular 15 years ago and hair metal was popular 20 years ago

just enjoy the music - stop worrying about the corporate machine

Popular music will always be mindless crap regardless of what genre it is

trust me, good hip hop is plenty obscure.... ask 100 random people in the streets - similar amount of people will tell you that they have ever heard of behemoth as they have heard of jedi mind tricks (pretty small percentage)

in any case - music is as cyclical thing

hip hop is popular today - nu metal was mid to late 90s - grunge was popular 15 years ago and hair metal was popular 20 years ago

just enjoy the music - stop worrying about the corporate machine

Popular music will always be mindless crap regardless of what genre it is

Yeah, music is music regardless so I'll stick to what I listen to and I can agree obscure stuff is usually far greater than mainstream. I have heard of the band Jedi Mind Tricks though I'm not familiar with their music. And I'm sure you're aware of it but Behemoth is quite popular and successful among extreme metal bands - but an obscure hip hop band is vastly more popular than an obscure black metal band.

Yeah, music is music regardless so I'll stick to what I listen to and I can agree obscure stuff is usually far greater than mainstream. I have heard of the band Jedi Mind Tricks though I'm not familiar with their music. And I'm sure you're aware of it but Behemoth is quite popular and successful among extreme metal bands - but an obscure hip hop band is vastly more popular than an obscure black metal band.

I disagree. I bet more people have heard of Behemoth than Jedi Mind Tricks.

I disagree. I bet more people have heard of Behemoth than Jedi Mind Tricks.

Thats a comparison between an underground hip-hop group against one of today's more popular extreme metal acts, so its a rather unfair comparison.

However, if you compare any obscure black metal band to any other group of any genre, chances are no one has heard and probably will never hear of the black metal band.

interesting

nobody really knows anything about black metal here in the states (or people that I've met)

most everybody Ive met thinks dimmu and COF are black metal

man is there anything in life without an underground/hardcore scene???