Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

interesting

nobody really knows anything about black metal here in the states (or people that I've met)

most everybody Ive met thinks dimmu and COF are black metal

man is there anything in life without an underground/hardcore scene???

Yeah, I remember being in high school couple years back and not a single person even knew that there was a genre called black metal, or what metal was. The only people who were into black metal were Me, as well as my friends but only because I had gotten them into it.

To the average idiot who I've talked to:
Death metal: Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Slipknot etc
Heavy Metal: System of a Down, Mudvayne, Korn etc

well it's not quite that bad here - I have met few hardcore DM fans out here but they don't know jackshit about black metal (nor do I really but they think COF and dimmu is BM)

overall, can't really complain about the metal "awareness" in my area, I know 9 people who are all very hardcore DM/thrash fans who are into pretty obscure stuff - the one thing (strange thing I have noticed) is that 6 of those 9 guys are bigtime pantera fans along with the DM

well it's not quite that bad here - I have met few hardcore DM fans out here but they don't know jackshit about black metal (nor do I really but they think COF and dimmu is BM)

overall, can't really complain about the metal "awareness" in my area, I know 9 people who are all very hardcore DM/thrash fans who are into pretty obscure stuff - the one thing (strange thing I have noticed) is that 6 of those 9 guys are bigtime pantera fans along with the DM

The metal awareness in my area is lame. Since Canada's metal scene is basically underground - and judging from the metal shows I've been to - I wouldnt say its very good either imo. It seems to be death metal but almost with a hardcore/metalcore attitude (which I'm not very fond of).

Well I have a friend who is into black metal, and fav bands include Mayhem, Gorgoroth, Emperor, Pink Floyd, Tool.

Yeah, I remember being in high school couple years back and not a single person even knew that there was a genre called black metal, or what metal was. The only people who were into black metal were Me, as well as my friends but only because I had gotten them into it.

To the average idiot who I've talked to:
Death metal: Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Slipknot etc
Heavy Metal: System of a Down, Mudvayne, Korn etc

:lol: :puke:

I love conversations with people who know nothing about metal and I explain to them about most of it and they try making me feel like I'm a "weird" person for liking some of this stuff...and then turn it around to make them feel like the "weird" person for not liking it. fuckin pwned

I showed one of my buddies who listens to rock some slayer and then some morbid angel

the speed of slayer just blew his mind - then I played "god of emptiness" and he couldn't even handle it for 10 seconds (slow, crushing songs)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if it's current and it's not on the radio or on TV, it's underground IMO

Well, they have done tons of touring and are one of the more well known extreme metal acts, internationally. They even did their first Canadian tour last year (and they were supposed to play where i lived but never showed up). And well, where I live there is no metal on radio or tv really. But they are quite popular - maybe not on the level of Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom or Cradle of Filth or those bands but nevertheless they have a large fanbase and receive lots of recognition.

dude you can say the same thing with Jedi mind tricks (who have a large fanbase as well)

so the comparison between the 2 is very valid

But still it must be taken into consideration that you're comparing a band that may be lesser known in hiphop vs a band that is well known in extreme metal - so thats why the numbers are relatively close, so its sort of unbalanced in that sense.

For example, I just typed in a lesser known black metal band Anti (who in my opinion easily released the best black metal album of 2006) and aren't even on that site.

there are plenty of hip hop artists every bit as obscure as that

Yes, likewise with any genre. But you could compare a pop group that not many people have heard of to a popular metal band like Behemoth and then say Behemoth has more fans - sure it may be true, but its not a good comparison since it won't actually justify anything.

This would only prove that a hip hop group of average or lesser popularity is still more popular/or equal to that of a more well known metal band.