Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

I see it this way...

There is a very good reason that metal is not particularly popular in mainstream culture: It's such an aquired taste. I honestly don't think that anyone can start listening to metal out of the blue, you know? Like, I don't think someone can go from listening to, say, hip-hop or more mainstream rock music, hear some metal and start to like it. I like it because when I first starting listening to music, I was listening to a lot of "nu-metal" stuff like Korn and shit, then graduated to actual metal, but my friends who already listen to other music? I can't see them ever getting into metal (except some very early metal, like the 70's stuff where you can really pick up the blues influence). That's not to say that metal isn't good- I think that, technically and artistically, it's better than most music out there- but it's just so different. What I mean to say is that I can certainly see why some people think it's offensive to listen to.

I can't stand when metal fans talk such trash about ALL other music. Hip-hop has it's moments, pop-rock and classic rock, funk, blues and yes even country (Johnny Cash, everybody); I mean, sometimes I want something I can snap my fingers to. It's kind of a shame, man- there's so much good music out there and so many metal fans refuse to hear it. You can love metal and still listen to rap every now and then. It can be catchy.

What's more, musicians who play metal tend to take themselves SO FUCKING SERIOUSLY OH MY GOD KILL ME. What makes it so ridiculous is that they are such fucking dorks a lot of the time. If you don't believe me, I'll remind you that Iced Earth released an album about Spawn, that Jon Schaffer wrote songs about Lord of the Rings and that Bolt Thrower named themselves after a weapon from a role playing game and write all their songs about said rpg (for the record, I love Iced Earth). If you still don't believe me, look at a picture of any black metal band. The whole "scary looking black metal dude" thing slays me the most, because they put SO MUCH effort into it. I can kind of understand why the bands do it- it worked for Kiss- a pop rock band- right? I can appreciate a band having a gimmick, but when the fans do it... they think they're showing everyone that they "don't give a fuck what people think of them", yet they just spent who knows how long getting ready to look like they don't care. "Fuckin conformists, man. I'll show them how unique I am by dressing up as Dimmu Borgir". That's why I like Anthrax. Thank God for a good metal band that can have fun with their music.

SHORT VERSION: Metal bands (and to a degree, metal fans) put so much effort into isolating people who don't already listen to metal that they ignore the other music available to them. I think metal is the best, but I see why so many people can't listen to it.

PS: If you doubt that hip-hop can be good, download "Ghostwriter" by RJD2.

why is bodom constantly getting bashed on this board??? their 1st 3 albums are all quite good and hatebreeder is ok as well

edit: ^^^ are you really justifying mainstream rap??

mainstream rap is atrocious beyond atrocious... bunch of fucking ignorant, illiterate morons rapping about going to the club over a 3 second drum beat + bass line

underground/old school stuff is awesome though

edit: ^^^ are you really justifying mainstream rap??

mainstream rap is atrocious beyond atrocious... bunch of fucking ignorant, illiterate morons rapping about going to the club over a 3 second drum beat + bass line

underground/old school stuff is awesome though

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but if you are, then no. I'm not "justifying" mainstream rap. In fact, I'm not sure if I even mentioned rap (I mentioned hip-hop, which is not the same). Why it needs "justifying", I don't know, but that's beside the point. I think that the vast majority of mainstream rap today is awful. Absolutley awful, man. I agree with you that it's atrocious and that underground hip-hop can be awesome.

Note, however, that I said "mainstream rap today". Gangster rap from the early 90's got pretty good at times. It actually rhymed, it was good beats and what's most important was that it had real emotion and a real point. So much early rap is concerned with the struggles of Urban life, but no it's all about bitches and hoes, dawg, bitches and hoes.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but if you are, then no. I'm not "justifying" mainstream rap. In fact, I'm not sure if I even mentioned rap (I mentioned hip-hop, which is not the same). Why it needs "justifying", I don't know, but that's beside the point. I think that the vast majority of mainstream rap today is awful. Absolutley awful, man. I agree with you that it's atrocious and that underground hip-hop can be awesome.

Note, however, that I said "mainstream rap today". Gangster rap from the early 90's got pretty good at times. It actually rhymed, it was good beats and what's most important was that it had real emotion and a real point. So much early rap is concerned with the struggles of Urban life, but no it's all about bitches and hoes, dawg, bitches and hoes.

:lol: :lol: I've been listening to hip hop on and off since I was 6 years old (I stopped for a year and I recently got into the backpacker/underground scene)... I grew up listening to dre, tupac, nwa etc... I know what you're talking about dude

I see it this way...

There is a very good reason that metal is not particularly popular in mainstream culture: It's such an aquired taste. I honestly don't think that anyone can start listening to metal out of the blue, you know? Like, I don't think someone can go from listening to, say, hip-hop or more mainstream rock music, hear some metal and start to like it. I like it because when I first starting listening to music, I was listening to a lot of "nu-metal" stuff like Korn and shit, then graduated to actual metal, but my friends who already listen to other music? I can't see them ever getting into metal (except some very early metal, like the 70's stuff where you can really pick up the blues influence). That's not to say that metal isn't good- I think that, technically and artistically, it's better than most music out there- but it's just so different. What I mean to say is that I can certainly see why some people think it's offensive to listen to.

fantastic quote here (I agree with metal wrath) - when I first listened to metal - it was amazing - it pretty much shattered every single thing I had ever been taught by society - and I loved it!!!!!!!!!

too many people online though only talk about extreme metal - so too many people think all of metal is the extreme stuff when there are thousands and thousands of excellent bands with proper singing

Can everyone that keeps fucking over this forum with your non-metal bullshit please add links to sound files of all the gay shit you talk about, so then i can listen and decide if what you are masterbating over is worth listening too, instead of having to read through your sentences of sexual eroticism towards bands/musicians that i am never going to look up, since, as i said before in the social thread, i'm not intrested in or else i would haved looked into it.

So to add some meaning to what you think is changing the "close-minded metal heads" here, i ask you to do this, you fucking annoying bastards.:yuk: :puke: :yuk:

Can everyone that keeps fucking over this forum with your non-metal bullshit please add links to sound files of all the gay shit you talk about, so then i can listen and decide if what you are masterbating over is worth listening too, instead of having to read through your sentences of sexual eroticism towards bands/musicians that i am never going to look up, since, as i said before in the social thread, i'm not intrested in or else i would haved looked into it.

So to add some meaning to what you think is changing the "close-minded metal heads" here, i ask you to do this, you fucking annoying bastards.:yuk: :puke: :yuk:

panacea - www.myspace.com/panaceanmusic
canibus - www.myspace.com/canibus
jedi mind tricks - www.myspace.com/panaceanmusic

look at the influences of jedi mind tricks (a white rapper) - death, cannibal corpse, obituary, pantera, merciful fate, black sabbath,

what the fuck??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

look at the influences of jedi mind tricks (a white rapper) - death, cannibal corpse, obituary, pantera, merciful fate, black sabbath,

what the fuck??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That Necro wanker is the same (also his album has a cover like leprosy, someone posted it here once). There is a local band that "rap" like him, it's terrible.

Now your all happy u fucks BWAH
I also sanction the same for metal bands, as The Greys does with his yousendit links in recommendations thread:kickass:

bodybuilder dude
get on soulseek and download 2nd II none's first album..one of the funnest hip hop albums ever made. I also grew up on west coast rap, but I've lost the urge to continue to listen to it. i dont care if its underground or not..i prefer listening to instrumentation over lyrics anyday. however, that 2nd II none is always fun to blast because it's filled up with killer funk samples.

Also I think that there is music which is more complex, such as Progressive Rock, and Classical Music, which I can imagine people who listen to must think of metal as being not even a real form of music.

Disregarding the fact that not all people solely remain within the boundaries of those genres.
Personally, I'm a fan of the proggy spectra, the occasional classical (having been exposed to it through various instruments), while also being a metal fan.

I don't look down on fans, per se - unless they consider their chosen genre the elite without having dined on more of what is offered on the musical table - but might consider their music subpar, ie. not up to my standards. The only people deemed trouble..-esque are those whose boats aren't floated by music. :zombie: :mad: I hope they find some nice goats. :cool:

I don't look down on fans, per se - unless they consider their chosen genre the elite without having dined on more of what is offered on the musical table - but might consider their music subpar, ie. not up to my standards. The only people deemed trouble..-esque are those whose boats aren't floated by music. :zombie: :mad: I hope they find some nice goats. :cool:

:zombie:

I can accept if someone is not into music, but most claim to be fans of music but have not been exposed to anything other than a miniscule amount of music which is not nearly of any substance or "part of a healthy diet". They are usually ignorant about music and limit themselves to a handful of music which fits into their little world without having to try anything "different"

lol death rap? That's strange. But it's good to know that not all rappers sing about money and women.

hip hop is a very versataille (SP?) genre of music man... it can cover everything from epic/science fiction/fantasy stuff (Canibus), relationships (atmosphere), life in the hood/gangbanging (mobb deep), history (countless rappers), violence, death, racial equality, politics (immortal technique, dead prez), society, future, the abstract, etc... etc... etc.... etc.... etc....

hip hop is a very versataille (SP?) genre of music man... it can cover everything from epic/science fiction/fantasy stuff (Canibus), relationships (atmosphere), life in the hood/gangbanging (mobb deep), history (countless rappers), violence, death, racial equality, politics (immortal technique, dead prez), society, future, the abstract, etc... etc... etc.... etc.... etc....
Not that it really offends me, but some underground rap also has anti-white lyrics (killing "devils" etc.).