Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

hip hop is a very versataille (SP?) genre of music man... it can cover everything from epic/science fiction/fantasy stuff (Canibus), relationships (atmosphere), life in the hood/gangbanging (mobb deep), history (countless rappers), violence, death, racial equality, politics (immortal technique, dead prez), society, future, the abstract, etc... etc... etc.... etc.... etc....

So does metal, and I've found this genre to be infinitely more fulfilling. I don't seem to find much rap that really appeals to my musical tastes, other than the ones you mentioned above.

I can tell if a certain jazz artist, or progressive hippie rock band is amazing, though the music is not my cup of tea. But when it comes to mainstream stuff that people generally rave over, I just can't. For instance, what is so amazing about Tupac or Radiohead? I just don't see it.

I can tell if a certain jazz artist, or progressive hippie rock band is amazing, though the music is not my cup of tea. But when it comes to mainstream stuff that people generally rave over, I just can't. For instance, what is so amazing about Tupac or Radiohead? I just don't see it.

pac was a very good rapper... so much passion and realism in his music... he could paint any picture beautifully... beautiful songs like dear mama, changes, keep ya head up as well as just pure gangster classics like ambitions as a rider or california love

you should watch some of his interviews... he was a very intelligent man and his interviews are quite fascinating

he's a bit overrated as his fans are extremely overzealous - but he was a fairly influential and a very good rapper/artist in his day

pac was a very good rapper... so much passion and realism in his music... he could paint any picture beautifully... beautiful songs like dear mama, changes, keep ya head up as well as just pure gangster classics like ambitions as a rider or california love

you should watch some of his interviews... he was a very intelligent man and his interviews are quite fascinating

he's a bit overrated as his fans are extremely overzealous - but he was a fairly influential and a very good rapper/artist in his day

Tupac was a great rapper possibly the best of all time, had an effortless flow and spoke about the true issues facing people in teh ghetto, and has recorded some very poignant and emotional music. Among his many classic rap songs are Me Against the World, Str8 Ballin, Life goes on, To Live and Die in L.A., 2 of Amerikaz most wanted, Against all odds, Lord Knows...... The facts surrounding his life and death continue to mystify and intrigue people from all spectrums of the music scene and he is still attracting new fans to this day who are drawn to his music which is very powerful and expressive in a way that most rap music is sorely lacking, especially these days...

Tupac was a great rapper possibly the best of all time, had an effortless flow and spoke about the true issues facing people in teh ghetto, and has recorded some very poignant and emotional music. Among his many classic rap songs are Me Against the World, Str8 Ballin, Life goes on, To Live and Die in L.A., 2 of Amerikaz most wanted, Against all odds, Lord Knows...... The facts surrounding his life and death continue to mystify and intrigue people from all spectrums of the music scene and he is still attracting new fans to this day who are drawn to his music which is very powerful and expressive in a way that most rap music is sorely lacking, especially these days...

very well stated... the amount of people who like pac but can't stand any other rap is countless

:zombie:

I can accept if someone is not into music,

Call me a close-minded bugger, but I can’t understand why anyone would want to dismiss music. It predates mankind even, and has played an essential role to humans (as a means of communication/enjoyment) ever since we came into the (audible) picture. Stone agers had their own stone n’ roll much like we have ours.
Being deaf is the only valid excuse to not finding music appealing, if you were to ask me.
Maybe it’s not contempt I feel for those people, but pity.

Call me a close-minded bugger, but I can’t understand why anyone would want to dismiss music. It predates mankind even, and has played an essential role to humans (as a means of communication/enjoyment) ever since we came into the (audible) picture. Stone agers had their own stone n’ roll much like we have ours.
Being deaf is the only valid excuse to not finding music appealing, if you were to ask me.
Maybe it’s not contempt I feel for those people, but pity.

it's just a form of entertainment

like if somebody didn't want to watch TV or play videogames

Can everyone that keeps fucking over this forum with your non-metal bullshit please add links to sound files of all the gay shit you talk about, so then i can listen and decide if what you are masterbating over is worth listening too, instead of having to read through your sentences of sexual eroticism towards bands/musicians that i am never going to look up, since, as i said before in the social thread, i'm not intrested in or else i would haved looked into it.

So to add some meaning to what you think is changing the "close-minded metal heads" here, i ask you to do this, you fucking annoying bastards.:yuk: :puke: :yuk:

hea

Talk Talk - New Grass

Fennesz - Rivers of Sand

Autechre - Cipater

it's just a form of entertainment

like if somebody didn't want to watch TV or play videogames

I strongly disagree. TV and videogames are a relatively new invention, so they haven't really completely ingrained themselves into life (though that's debatable in some cases), but music has been around nearly as long, if not as long as, mankind itself. It is a natural instinct in our humanity to love, enjoy, and create music. Television and videogames are an entirely different case.

I look down on rap, pop and techno and similar "music" (or rather people that consider it music) because all they do is sample other (real)musicians work, and claim it as their own.
I suppose same thing could be said about most of the 'clones' in metal as well.

You've obviously never heard any good techno.

The only three genres worth mentioning are black metal, death metal, and last but sure not least viking metal the rest esp. s**t hop rap crap is not music pop music and other such types of music is for retards.-ken
Cross-posting this from another forum.

Do you?

Well, I don't to a great extent... Metal has made me more 'musically enlightened', so to speak... but I still abhor trance, hiphop and pop, and the fans who speak like they're the ultimate authority about music. It's sacriliegious to call those genres music, IMHO.

Post your views.

The only three genres worth mentioning are black metal, death metal, and last but sure not least viking metal the rest esp. s**t hop rap crap is not music pop music and other such types of music is for retards.-ken

hopefully you don't consider grind to be crap. then again, what do I know....this board sometimes likes to shit on good music.