Do you as a metal listener look down upon other genres of music/their fans?

Décadent;5615838 said:
ANYONE who lets something like their musical tastes dictate their personality, behaviour or lifestyle should be looked down upon.
I disagree. What about those who are dedicated enough to music and have enough talent to make a career out of being in a band? Or those who decide to get into the business and run a label or something? These are worthwhile pursuits.

For many of those people, the music they listen to suits their lifestyle. It's a sensible choice to listen to metal if you're going to be a diehard for whatever you believe in. What I mean is, people who change themselves to suit the perceived lifestyle affiliated with the music they listen to, for no other reason other than to appear more "metal" or whatever.

Real metal philosophy

METAL

FUCK EVERYBODY

BEER AND DESTRUCTION(THE BAND)

RAP IS SHIT

FUCK OFF AND DIE, EAT COW DUNG

I look down on rap, pop and techno and similar "music" (or rather people that consider it music) because all they do is sample other (real)musicians work, and claim it as their own.
I suppose same thing could be said about most of the 'clones' in metal as well.

I agree with The Greys here. All music is equally valid? WHAT IS THIS CRAP? I pick the music I listen to because it's not the same moronic trash other sitzpinkel morons like some here listen to. Rap, valid? Maybe -- but useful? No, it's garbage. Techno? Garbage. Most rock? Garbage. Most metal? Garbage. Waste your time on crap music if you want to, but it says a lot about how you value yourself... not much.

Who said all music is equally valid? And who the fuck listens to music they think is crap? And what the fuck are you on about?

Who said all music is equally valid? And who the fuck listens to music they think is crap? And what the fuck are you on about?

its prozak, actually addressing the debate at hand is of secondary importance to pushing his "transcendental" agenda, and he'll misinterpret your point in order to do so, motherfucker!

Well obviously. Stop generalising. How do you know that all Jazz and Classical musicians are "stupid stuck up Mensa rejects"? You're being as closed minded as anyone who says metal is stupid noise.

The same goes for The Greys. Hip Hop is as valid a style as any other; your "rappers just talk. it's so fucking retarded" comment just shows your lack of perspective and maturity.

I was making a joke, sort of. instead of getting the usual "lol"s, I get a bunch of people with their panties in a twist. I've learned my lesson. I guess from now on I wont make subtle jokes. I'm sorry.

I was making a joke, sort of. instead of getting the usual "lol"s, I get a bunch of people with their panties in a twist. I've learned my lesson. I guess from now on I wont make subtle jokes. I'm sorry.

a joke which you defended by telling me not to make asinine assumptions and then neg repping me saying i obviously don't know how to read.

you're a fucking invalid ohiogrinder. get aids.

The thing I respect the most in people is willingness to progress in all forms of life whether this be intellectually or culturally etc and if I meet someone who has got into Goth and from there got into Dead Can Dance or This Mortal Coil then great. Or if someone who started listening to Fatboy Slim and then looked for more artists and found Venetian Snares then great. I am an elitist in the sense I do respect people more for researching genres of music and progressing their knowledge about it, rather than simply taking what the radio gives to them and leaving it at that. On the flip side though I also dislike people who have gone so far into one genre e.g. black metal that they can't see the positives in other types of music or even most music from their genre. For me its idiotic for people wanting a genre to not progress and stay stagnant in the same place.

I do have friends who listen to rap, pop, and all that crap, but don't hold it against them because they have nothing against my music. I only have about 2 friends who are into metal like I am. It's cool to hang out with friends who like the same music as me though. Metal is what brings myself and my metalhead friends together. Nothing like partying, drinking, and talking about metal with other metalheads. Although if I made friends based only on if they're into metal, I'd be a loner with few or no friends.

The thing I respect the most in people is willingness to progress in all forms of life whether this be intellectually or culturally etc and if I meet someone who has got into Goth and from there got into Dead Can Dance or This Mortal Coil then great. Or if someone who started listening to Fatboy Slim and then looked for more artists and found Venetian Snares then great. I am an elitist in the sense I do respect people more for researching genres of music and progressing their knowledge about it, rather than simply taking what the radio gives to them and leaving it at that. On the flip side though I also dislike people who have gone so far into one genre e.g. black metal that they can't see the positives in other types of music or even most music from their genre. For me its idiotic for people wanting a genre to not progress and stay stagnant in the same place.

I agree with you. I am mostly into power metal myself, but I also get into other genres such as black and some death metal. When I first got into metal at about the age of 10 or 11, I listened to the radio. I was into hair metal and the more known bands like Kiss, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. Over time I researched and found other bands to listen to as well as other sub generes.

No, I don't. I listen to nearly all types of music. This may sound retarded, but when I'm listening to metal it makes me feel like I'm in another realm, which most other genres can't do to me. Metal is very powerful music.

I do have friends who listen to rap, pop, and all that crap, but don't hold it against them because they have nothing against my music. I only have about 2 friends who are into metal like I am. It's cool to hang out with friends who like the same music as me though. Metal is what brings myself and my metalhead friends together. Nothing like partying, drinking, and talking about metal with other metalheads. Although if I made friends based only on if they're into metal, I'd be a loner with few or no friends.

my friends are the opposite. they are all very disrespectful towards my musical taste. "its all crap" or "its all noise". I find it very hard to find people into metal around here. I would be forever grateful if I had metalhead friends. its hard to come by around here. people would rather just let MTV and the radio tell them what to listen to instead of finding good bands to listen to. its sad really. but I really don't have a choice in who my friends are because I am not allowed to drive.

When you just sit around only listening to grindcore and noise of course everyone around you is going to think it's noise. what the fuck do you expect!!!

I have a friend who grew up listenting to green day, blink 182, third eye blind, bowling for soup, fall out boy, and any other emo/pop punk. Whenever I listen to 80s metal around him he just laughs at it and calls it mullet rock. He tells me the only thing else I need is a mullet and a camaro. When I first met him, he didn't even know what power metal was and couldn't even comment on it.

Then, I have another friend I met at work who just moved here from New Jersey. He's kinda one of those gangsta people who listens to rap. Whenever he's around me he hears my metal and says he actually digs alot of it and asks me to burn him some of my CDs. Weird but what can I say.

I've also realized that you also can't determine what kind of music someone listens to by the way they look and dress. I've met many metalheads who are all clean cut and look like business people. I even talked to a diehard power and black metal fan at school who looked like a total wigger.