Do you consider this a "rip-off" or accident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroraven

Nov 21, 2007
I think that it's pretty known knowledge that verse of Lil' bloodred ridin' hood is taken from Dissection's Unhallowed and lil' bloodred ridin' hood's chorus is from Dissection's Night's Blood since you can read it from SOB. But has someone noticed this?

Listen to the part 1:57-2:01 from Dissection's song In the Cold Winds of Nowhere and part and 2:19-2:22 from lil' bloodred ridin' hood.

Normally I would have thought that this is just a small accident but since the song already has 2 riffs/melodies taken from Dissection I thought that this could be borrowed too.

But it's just a small part and I don't really care. Just wanted to ask you out of curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sort of thing honestly happens a lot.

Especially when you're in a similar genre of music, with similar influences.

Probably not intentional. It usually isn't. Aside from sheer coincidence, or two musicians getting an idea from shared influence, there's another reason that accounts for this happening a lot.

Sometimes you just hear a cool riff in a song, and forget about it, but it's still there in the back of your mind. Then, however long down the road, you end up playing it, no longer remembering where it came from.

I think any guitarist can say they've had moments where they thought they had just created the greatest riff/melody, and then realizes they heard it somewhere else first. Or that someone else had just come up with it before.

EDIT: It's like Angels Don't Kill sounding like that theme from Miami Vice, or Sixpounder sounding similar to Pantera's "A New Level". Hell, even Enter Sandman, by Metallica, sounds like a Stone song (which came first).

It's weird because the rips are from same band. Bodom has ripped stuff like SO obvious rip-off from Pantera, Punch me I bleed.

Hell, even Enter Sandman, by Metallica, sounds like a Stone song (which came first).

And that sir is bullshit. Metallica copied Stone? No fuckin way.

I bet that you Delanoir, wouldn't have heard the similarity with those songs (which is nearly nothing) if you hadn't read that Roope interview. Use your own ears.

Go fuck yourself, fanboi.

This happens alot, there are tonnes and tonnes of riffs and etc that can be invented and some are surely to sound very similar.

PS. this doesn't even sound -THAT- similar.

Yeah, it's not exactly the same. Alexi has just probably heard the original song and subconsciously put the same riff in the song or something. Just wanted to hear what others thought of this :)

In case you were talking about this dissection-bodom thing. But I dont know about stone-metallica thing...

It's such a little piece really fitting for the genre. To me it seems highly likely that Alexi just came up with that, without listening to Dissections song. But of course, I don't know.

That might be true. But I just thought that it might be borrowed since the song already has two riffs borrowed from Dissection. But that's not a big deal anyway.

I hate it when I "come up" with something just to realize that it already exists, but it does happen quite some times. Also happens that I copy myself and I'm like "hell this is nice!" and then I'm rehearsing and I hear the same structure, maybe with different ntoes but same structure, and notice that I've already used that. But it's normal. I mean there's so many musicians around that it's almost impossible that we all always come up with original ideas and never "copy" someone else by accident. To me call the Dissection-COB thing a rip-off is as stupid as to say that Alexi rips Zakk Wylde because he plays the same kind of pentatonic pattern Zakk is known for or because Sixpounder's 2nd solo arpegios instantly recall (at least to me) PG's string skipped arpegios. I'm not callig you stupid, I just say that I don't get why in solos we talk of influences and in riffs we talk of rip-offs.

It's weird because the rips are from same band. Bodom has ripped stuff like SO obvious rip-off from Pantera, Punch me I bleed.

I bet that you Delanoir, wouldn't have heard the similarity with those songs (which is nearly nothing) if you hadn't read that Roope interview. Use your own ears.

So to you Punch Me I Bleed is a so obvious ripp off from Pantera but Stone's and Metallica's which sound more similar aren't, right? Good job!

That dissection and cob riff just sounds like some scale played in thirds kinda like the intro to the solo in Silent Night Bodom night. It's typical, not a rip off imo.

While on the other hand knuckleduster almost sounds like a complete rip off of Roots Bloody Roots by Sepultura and IYF sounds kinda like a rip off of I use my third arm by Pantera.

Holy shit, kid. You need to calm the fuck down and stop crying.

You completely missed my point. My point is that this shit just happens, and usually isn't something on purpose or intentional. Not only that, but sometimes you do take something from another band, but forgot where it came from.

And yeah, the Sandman one was from the interview. It's called using an example. I'm saying Metallica most likely DIDN'T copy Stone. But that similarities happen, for any number of reasons.

and thank you CoCOB.

He and Viking are right. Another reason this happens is because of the same (or similar) musical patterns just being used. Like Minor/Major triads, certain scales, and thirds, fifths, fourths, etc.

Also, to prove how often this happens, here:

And there's at least 7 more of these by the same guy alone. A lot of things can just sound a lot alike, and aren't intentionally "stolen".

Last edited by a moderator:
So to you Punch Me I Bleed is a so obvious ripp off from Pantera but Stone's and Metallica's which sound more similar aren't, right? Good job!

Omg you're so right! Metallica ripped Stone so obviously! Death magnetic is rip from Colours and st.anger from No anaesthesia! Yeah you totally know everything and thanks to you every Metallica fan must be informed about this, cuz no-one else never saw this thing until you did.

honestly you're all stupid, the lil bloodred riding hood or whatever riff similarities are hardly similar at all, especially the intro vs nights blood is completely different chords and movement blah blah blah. riffs sound the same, they don't copy it just happens or you come up with something and its subconciously copied, i doubt anyone in a metal band would copy something off a famous band since they know some nerds on the internet will be like OMG YOU FUCKIN STOLE IT ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG

Unless you've somehow managed to spawn from some spores down in a desolate cave, survive, and then compose something with instruments you created down there, in complete darkness, then your music as well as everyone else's music is influenced from other people's music in this world. So where can one draw the line of HOW much influence is too much? Unless it is a quite obvious intricate melody ripoff. But the example the TS provided is such a basic piece of music:

5th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 3rd, root, 2nd, 7th, coupled with a basic harmony of thirds. Doesn't take a music theory genius to come up with that one.

Omg you're so right! Metallica ripped Stone so obviously! Death magnetic is rip from Colours and st.anger from No anaesthesia! Yeah you totally know everything and thanks to you every Metallica fan must be informed about this, cuz no-one else never saw this thing until you did.

I guess you are the boy here...
Come back when your beard grows.

Wow, tremendous fucking cunt alert.

Sounds like you're the fanboy here, fucking children all over the place, you make me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.