Do you know someone who likes Opeth more than Isis?

I just downloaded "Carry" from the link someone provided and I must say, I was fucking floored. The music is filled with so many of those "come together" moments, when everything seems to click. With the bit of clean vocals mixed in at the end of this song, this song went far beyond my expectations. Now, I shall be downloading some more from them and if all goes well, ordering a CD or two.

Isis create a very different mood from Opeth for me.

So I can't really compare the two. They have something in common though, I like them both very much. ;)

oh well, i've listened to it 5 times now and I still feel the same way... i will persist.

I also bought DT's Scenes from a memory because of all the hype, and i hated it at first. but it got somewhat better... right now I only don't like the lyrics on most songs, and the slow songs... "the spirit carries on" is just GOD AWFUL. (the lyrics make the music sound worse)

I also bought Pain of salvation's concrete lake because of all the hype, hated at first, then 8 months later and 30 listens later its my 5th favorite album :eek:

oh well...why the hell am i saying this.

Why do I have to compare the two bands, is it impossible to like more than one band? When I´m in the mood for some Isis I like Isis better, cause I´m not in the mood for Opeth. Now If I´m in the mood for Opeth...... blah blah blah...

Originally posted by O'blivion
yes, this is intentional. the vocals are used as an instrument more than anything.
Wouldn't he need to actually hit diffrent notes for it to be considered an instrument? And even when there is clean singing it doesn't fit with the music. Like the begining of hymn. I bought the CD and really wasn't impressed.

Originally posted by Poison Godmachine
Wouldn't he need to actually hit diffrent notes for it to be considered an instrument? And even when there is clean singing it doesn't fit with the music. Like the begining of hymn. I bought the CD and really wasn't impressed.
Huh? Aaron hits tones that Warrell Dane can only dream about. standard vocalization such as WD's can become very boring after a while (although WD is still one of my favourite vocalists). ISIS utilize vocal expression perfectly. the emotion and tone are, well, perfect. you're just disorientated by what you hear, kind of like the first time you hear death growls. as for your question, i believe Lakestream already answered it.

I knew that someone was going to veiw me as a hypocrite and I'm glad that I made you laugh! I've purchased this disc and sat home with the head phones on and the booklet open while listening to it. This is no where near the same as sampling a few songs at the store! I agree that sometimes a cd take many listens before the "magic" is recognized and I'm sorry to say that it will not happen on this disc for me. I bought it because of all the positive things said out here and I'm disappointed that this band is no where near Opeth's attitude in song writing and when you group that in with the horrible vocal style I'm not interested.
i disagree. listening to something ONCE is still listening to something ONCE. END. it is pretty hilarious though if you compare both comments:p

Ever since someone compared Katatonia to Opeth and reccomended them to me based on that, I have taken to not believing any band in this world shares a sound with Opeth.

I believe I am right. They are too unique for comparisons.

i d/l the album from Johan, i think it was, after d/l deliverance. when i´ve seen this thread i just had to check it out. i did this many times before with recommendations from this forum. i was never as dissapointed as i was with isis before. they don´t do anything for ME, i think they´re totally boring.
i kind of wondered if these downloads were a fake or something. could you make this clear Johan?

well this is only my opinion. ;)