Do you make a living out of recording and mixing music?

Do you make a living out of recording and mixing music?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • Partly.

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters
I would love to be able to make a living out of purely audio related stuff as an independent (whatever pays, as many have said, I would just love to be my own boss so I'm responsible for my own schedules and stuff), hopefully in a few years I will make it possible, for now doing my best at recording, mixing, editing, programming, etc etc as a side thing, pretty much investing everything I earn into new gear and other studio costs (which isn't much so far) while my dayjob along with my wife's provides a decent living for the both of us.

Nope, music and audio-related stuff is more often than not the cause of me being broke at any given time. With all the students around the area giving out stupidly cheap/free "studio" time, I'm surprised anyone here can make a living as an engineer. One of these days I'll relocate and maybe have a chance at success.

My only job at the moment is audio stuff. Mainly live gigs with the odd bit of studio work. Trying to dig myself out of my overdraft at the mo and considering getting a "real job" to do so, would be a bit less stressful I think.

About 10% of my income here... the day job at the music store and teaching lessons make up most of it. Need to get a bigger portfolio so I can get more paid recording gigs!