Do you mix with a subwoofer?

rlcramer

Tone is not in MY fingers
Apr 16, 2008
I am currently using Mackie HR624's for monitoring / mixing. I really like the way they sound, and my mixes are starting to translate relatively well to other audio systems. My question is - do you guys think it would make a big difference if I picked up a subwoofer and started mixing / monitoring on a 2.1 system?

Let me know what you think, or what you are currently set up for in terms of your own studio monitoring.

Thanks,

Bobby

It depends how well your environment is treated to absorb sub frequencies. If the subs are just going to bounce around, then there's no point. It helps to hear down there, but only if what your hearing is giving you a clear picture.

I have no need for a sub. The ASP8s go very low, as will the Opals I replace them with.

I use one on my passive monitor system, but not with my actives...And I use both during a mix...TBH, I don't think my mixes sound any better because I use it, but it's more pleasing to listen to when editing with it on!

I want to get a sub for my Tannoys to really know what's going on in the lows, but I still am certain that I would only turn it on to check, the majority of the mix I prefer to do on less bassy speakers because that's what most consumer systems are, and one has to work harder to get the kick and bass to still be audible, and they sound much better in the end because of it IMO!

There's so many consumer subs out there that just sound like blind bass to me, nothing musical about them.
My sub with my old 5.1 system was the same way.

I always get confused if I have to mix with a sub, I always mix bass light with them and the kick and bass won't translate at all. That's why I don't use one myself and don't really think about getting one either. What I do is I constantly switch between headphones and speakers when mixing the lows, and I find I'm doing most of the eq etc. with the headphones and just checking on the speakers.

Yeah, i do at the studio i work on, but the room is annoyingly bassy and if i move my head a feet back i get totally different bass response. Without it, i get no bass drum, tho' (from a pair of i-dont-know-what-model mackies).

At home i have KRKs RP8s that i am dying to replace with anything with or without a sub that sound a better

i use a genelec sub also and i noticed a huge improvement in my mixes after not using one. it helps to hear whats going on down there. from time to time i will turn it off to see how well it holds up with other ref. mixes since a ton of systems people listen to will not go that low.

i also take a mix home and listen on mac book pro speakers to see how it holds up as many people listen to music on laptop speakers and my main headphone reference is actually sennheiser ipod earbuds which are very revealing actually. i like to test a mix out in real world environment ie walking down the street with cars and traffic and stuff. there's not that many people listening to mixes in tuned rooms with subs and sitting in the sweet spot in isolation...

oh and guitargodgt made a great point also, it helps get rid of a lot of mud for poorly recorded material and really helps me get the kick kicking. sometimes you can get too excited with low end, this kind of keeps you in check so in that respect it helps reduce stuff and as andy once told me in an aim chat you don't have to drive your main speakers as much to get that "full" effect which helps ear fatigue tremendously and enables you to mix quieter.

i have a pair of quested monitors, and NS 10. i mix with em both. the ns10 also has a subwoofer wich i can turn on from time to time. it helps me more to kill low noise than to mix in lows. so its more to control.