Do you say "heavy metal" or just "metal"?

Oct 1, 2009
Boston, Massachusetts
I say the latter... I don't know why but I feel like a douche if I say "Heavy metal". Maybe it was ruined by people who say "You like heavy metal and rock'n'roll" and shit like that. :erk:

Also, anyone who just calls a band "Heavy Metal" as opposed to the the proper subgenre(which is usually Power/Speed/Thrash Metal) should be pecked by an ostrich in the breast. :mad:

^.

Realistically speaking, I usually say metal since I usually apply "Heavy Metal" to NWOBHM or metal bands from the 70s who weren't simply doom.

^.

Realistically speaking, I usually say metal since I usually apply "Heavy Metal" to NWOBHM or metal bands from the 70s who weren't simply doom.

Yeah, to me "heavy metal" is a specific sub-genre while saying only "metal" incudes all kind of metal music. And since I do not only like "heavy metal" I usually say only "metal" and included in that is everything from Morbid Angel and Anaal Nathrakh to Megadeth and Therion.

Depends on who I'm talking to. If it's just some ignorant bystander I say death metal or black metal to eliminate any chance of them chiming in with a comment about how much they love Disturbed (can't get away from that shit lately).

But if I'm talking to a fellow metalhead I call it metal, or the heavy shit, or some other comedic name.

I don't talk about metal to non-metal people. I'll just say metal and change the subject. If I say death, doom, black, etc, they'll get creeped out. I'd rather be forced to respond condescendingly to their mentioning of Disturbed than have everyone avoid me. Sometimes, though, if I want to get rid of someone, and they're all like "what's your favorite band broski McBroenstein" I'll be like "oh, I've really been getting into Brutally Fucked Corpses by Rape The Children lately, but Satan Satan Satan by Fuck Your God is pretty awesome too. Can't forget about Blood Guts Fuck Off, either." Otherwise I just say I listen to hard rock. If you can't tell what I listen to from my Amon Amarth shirt, you don't need to know.

I don't talk about metal to non-metal people. I'll just say metal and change the subject. If I say death, doom, black, etc, they'll get creeped out. I'd rather be forced to respond condescendingly to their mentioning of Disturbed than have everyone avoid me. Sometimes, though, if I want to get rid of someone, and they're all like "what's your favorite band broski McBroenstein" I'll be like "oh, I've really been getting into Brutally Fucked Corpses by Rape The Children lately, but Satan Satan Satan by Fuck Your God is pretty awesome too. Can't forget about Blood Guts Fuck Off, either." Otherwise I just say I listen to hard rock. If you can't tell what I listen to from my Amon Amarth shirt, you don't need to know.

Yeah dude, talking about metal is definitely a passive experience. I found out one of my coworkers actually knew shit about it, and we talked for a good half hour about our favorite subgenres. His friend was in a grindcore band we used to play with and he's coming to my next show.

I call it metal.

Also, quite a few workers at the coop like metal in some form or another. Although I think I'm the most into it. Me and this one dude there trade music, shits pretty cool.

Metal.

I'll pretty much talk with anyone about metal. You would be surprised what people may dig. One of my roomates and his friend became infatuated with Gorod's "Disavow Your God" when I played it for them and they usually listen to mainstream radio.

"Metal" is obviously a shortened version of "Heavy Metal", so I consider them synonymous, but since "Heavy Metal" has come to take on connotations of what could also be called "Traditional Metal" or "Classic Metal" it is no longer convenient or perhaps even coherent to refer to non-"classic" subgenres by the original term.

I suppose the same thing happened to "Rock 'n' Roll", where the original term now refers primarily to the originators of rock music and one must refer to prog/folk/jazz/etc. rock bands as simply "Rock" in order to be understood.