Do you say "heavy metal" or just "metal"?

Heavy metal (actually, hebi metaru) in Japanese

Metal in English

When I talk to people who don't like metal I just say "metal" and they're like "oh like Metallica?" and I say "yeah something like that." I also just say "death metal" in the same situation because people know what that is but I feel like a retard explaining what black metal, folk metal, Viking metal, power metal etc means.

"death metal" in the same situation because people know what that is but I feel like a retard explaining what black metal, folk metal, Viking metal, power metal etc means.

Same for me.

I've said black metal and got "Oh like megadeth!"....:erk:

For me:

"Metal" = Umbrella term for all metal sub-genres
"Heavy metal" = Genre for bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.

Same for me.

I've said black metal and got "Oh like megadeth!"....:erk:

Yeah! "Death metal" puts most people off and so we will not have a tense conversation about why human suffering and misanthropy or wizards and Thor are worthy subjects for music lyrics.

For me:

"Metal" = Umbrella term for all metal sub-genres
"Heavy metal" = Genre for bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.

Yeah, most metal heads will use the word that way when it comes to classifying the genre of those bands.. The term heavy metal can be a little ambiguous either referring to the sub genre or all metal as a whole. I sometimes like to classify all metal as a whole as heavy metal and classify the sub genre as traditional heavy metal.

I've got by with saying "extreme metal" and they usually reply with "oh the really heavy stuff". Then of course there are the ones that still reply with "So like Tool?"
I don't mind explaining sub-genres, but it is usually worthless as they are still stuck on "Why would someone listen to that?"

yeah and it's not like i'm out to CONVERT people or anything like that. i tend to just say "yeah i love metal too but i bet you don't" and they usually say "yeah not really" and if they say "oh i like that too" i get all excited

yeah and it's not like i'm out to CONVERT people or anything like that. i tend to just say "yeah i love metal too but i bet you don't" and they usually say "yeah not really" and if they say "oh i like that too" i get all excited

Yeah, except when I follow up with "so what bands do you like?"
the best I get is Slayer.

I'm different from most people here.

"Heavy metal" = "metal" = all subgenres.
"Traditional metal" = classic/early stuff.

That's probably just my journalistic instincts kicking in, though. That'd be proper AP format. Slayer is a heavy-metal band. Poison were a heavy-metal band. Any subgenre, even "false" ones, would get called metal.

Ahhhh, the wonderful world of pretentious labeling.

Also, I like Disturbed, dammit. :loco: --okay, SOME Disturbed.

I usually feel extremely awkward when telling people about my taste in music. When I tell people I'm into metal I always wonder if they're thinking "Oh, so he's into that Slipknot stuff."

Anyway, I usually use 'metal' as a catch-all term, but I also use 'heavy metal' in the same way. I rarely refer to stuff like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest as 'heavy metal.' I usually say 'traditional metal' if I want to make that distinction. Actually, I really don't like the term 'heavy metal' very much because it tends to evoke in my mind images of really bad 80s compilation albums of poodle-haired bands that say 'womaaaaan!' in their songs.

^ please Slayer was one of the four origional Thrash bands, Poison was pop metal... Iron Maiden was heavy metal
-----------------------------------------------------

I just say metal, than eloborate from there and usually only if Im talking to a musician thats been around awhile, that knows what the fuck they are talking about. Theres not really alot of metal I listen to in the full spectrum of things today.

and ya'll are practicing twats, well in line with surpassing my twatual abilities... congratulations
----------------------------------------------------------------

cythral - see the post times and figure it out.

I agree with the other poster, that it is similar to how Rock 'n' roll is not used anymore other than referring to traditional Rock 'n' roll bands. Any other type of rock is just called rock. The same goes with Metal. Calling a Death metal band Heavy Metal just doesn't make sense.

I get annoyed when people say "oh he likes the Heavy metal stuff" :rolleyes:

Maybe if I tell people, that I like Extreme Underground Brutal Metal they will realize they don't have a fucking clue what I am talking about.