Do you think Awake was the last good disc of DT?

Awake: The last good disc??

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • I still like DT

Votes: 29 39.2%

• Total voters
as for the drumming, i'd say 6DoiT was the last good album. the overall drum sound on ToT makes me puke.

I agree on that, even if I wouldn't say that 6DOIT has a good drum sound either.
I never understood how a drummer of MP's quality can have such a bad taste in how his instrument should sound.
For me the only DT album with a convincing drum sound was IAW, and those were triggered.

Koncept Kosh

ambassador kosh said:
I agree on that, even if I wouldn't say that 6DOIT has a good drum sound either.
I never understood how a drummer of MP's quality can have such a bad taste in how his instrument should sound.
For me the only DT album with a convincing drum sound was IAW, and those were triggered.

Koncept Kosh

Honestly, if you say that, you have to hate Jason Rullo's drum sound. His drums sounds like crap! :Smug: Mike Portnoy's drums sounds great!

Actually, with the exception of 6:00 and Erotomania I hated Awake. Third from the bottom on my list, just slightly above WDADU and TOT.

And the triggered drum sounds were absolutely awful. Although I like IAW I can't listen to the whole thing at one time, because that incredibly bad snare sound just gets on my nerves after about 2 songs. Sounds so fake it's like nails on a chalk-board. I think his kit sounds much better now.

Incidentally, for all-around 'musicality' (is that a word?) - I'd pick Rullo over Portnoy, although both of them are incredible.

yeah, theres something bad i can say about the drum sound on all the DT cds. its never perfect. and i happen to really like rullo's sounds. they actually fit the music. portnoys set might sound better live, im hopin. speakin of drums, anyone heard the new Adagio drummer?

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
yeah, theres something bad i can say about the drum sound on all the DT cds. its never perfect. and i happen to really like rullo's sounds. they actually fit the music. portnoys set might sound better live, im hopin. speakin of drums, anyone heard the new Adagio drummer?

Scenes From New York! :loco: Incredible!

My favorites for Dream Theater albums :

1. Images & Words - The best one, period!
2. Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory - Amazing!
3. Train Of Thought - THIS IS METAL!!!
4. Awake - Great album!

I don't really like the other albums that much, but "A Chance Of Seasons" (song) is great!

So my opinion is that they've made great albums after "Awake"

Great music, from a great band! :headbang:

Demonspell said:
I think Images has the worst drum sound of any DT album due to the obvious triggering...

Most people think so, I just love this late 80s drumsound with the huge snares even if it's awfully electric.
Strange enough I prefer Jason Rullo's sound, cause it fits into the music very well.

Kontent Kosh

I still don't get what the problem with Falling is...

It's missing that egotistical calculated feeling and has some clunkers, butmakes up for it with well crafted songs and good ballads.

Awake was truley an amazing album, but not DT's last by far. Scenes From a Memory was just amazing and 6DOIT was also very good. TOT is pretty good, alot heavier, but also very mindless at times. Can't say much about Falling Into Infinty other then it had like a few good songs. :Smokedev:

Firstly there isn't really a DT album that i dislike. I do prefer Images and Words and Awake though. Apart from maybe having better songs i think the problem is that after Awake came out then so did the 100 other clone bands. Me being a dickhead went out and bought quite a few of them. I&W and Awake sounded pretty fresh when they came out and were doing something relatively new stylistically at the time. Most of the previous progrock/metal albums (or whatever style you want to call it) i had heard had been relatively hard to sit through....stuff like Watchtower-Control and Resistance, Psychotic Waltz-A Social Grace, Fates Warning-Perfect Symmetry were all musically complicated but lacked really melodic songs. There really wasn't a band out there that were technically great as well as being decent songwriters as well.
Anyway.........after Awake was released a whole new wave of progbands with
songcraft emerged like (these are only rough comparisons people) Vanden Plas, Symphony X, Leviathan, Ivanhoe, Conception blah blah blah blah).
Maybe FII was an attempt to differentiate themselves from the pack but it don't think anyone will ever consider it DT's finest hour......then came the Once in a livetime cd that really showcased how poor LaBries voice can sound. I used to like his voice before hearing that but since that moment it hasn't quite been the same.
By the time SFAM came out i think the scene was starting to get a bit played out. Lots of bands doing the repetitive E chord chugga chugga with the keys playing their
interpretation of the James Bond chord progression over the top.
Maybe i would have liked 6 Degrees a whole lot more if it had come out after A Change of Seasons.....its just that by the time it had come out it wasn't as exciting or new anymore.....only few albums in this genre really have really caught my attention in the past few years.....Ark-Burn the Sun, the last two SX albums, Star One (bring on the new Ayreon) and Beyond Twilight-Devils Hall of Fame(Jorn rules)......and although they don't really fit into this genre i really love Freak Kitchen :eek:)