Do you think there's any hope for Iced Earth?

Jan 4, 2006
California
xatal.com
When I heard that they had Matt Barlow back in the band, I was pretty excited and eagerly awaited their next album. I liked Owens, but I think Barlow is better suited to Iced Earth than Owens.

But even with Barlow back, Iced Earth has been a disappointment. The Crucible of Man was pretty empty and, with the exception of one or two songs, a major step down.

I keep hoping that Schaffer will stop emphasizing the Something Wicked idea and return to normal songs, but even then, it seems like he keeps recycling the same riffs. The band needs some new direction to really reinvigorate everything.

Do you think it can be done, or will be done? I think their next album is key in which direction the band takes.

Just curious what people think.

I've only heard the new album once as a friend played it for me on a long drive but i must admit the songs seemed fairly bland.
I never felt that way about the older IE albums but yeah i agree the riffs are seeming a bit reused on this one.
Maybe Schaffer needs to let other people write some songs?

It was pretty boring.

We need someone to piss of Schaffer, and maybe we will see another Burnt Offerings.

Still haven't heard either Framing or Crucible, tbh.

I'm gonna wait for this supposed box set, and then I'll determine it's worth from there.

Schaffers songwriting has been downhill ever since he peaked with BO. However, while he is picking at the bottom of the barrel, he still puts out the occasional gem like Reflections/Ten Thousand Strong or The Clouding. If he could focus that into one album instead of just shitting out a whole bunch of crap to make up his story then he could conceivably go out in style.

Schaffers songwriting has been downhill ever since he peaked with BO. However, while he is picking at the bottom of the barrel, he still puts out the occasional gem like Reflections/Ten Thousand Strong or The Clouding. If he could focus that into one album instead of just shitting out a whole bunch of crap to make up his story then he could conceivably go out in style.

I agree with this. Every now and then he has songs that are pretty strong - the ones you mentioned are actually pretty good.

But it seems like the quality to shit ratio has been getting worse and worse D:

Owens is criminally underrated, he has pretty much been the saving grace for the past 2 albums, yet fans still think that having Matt 'one-note' Barlow back will solve all of Iced Earth's problems. Schaffer has always been very limited as a songwriter and that has become more and more apparent over the years. Now that Barlow is back the problem is going to be even worse as Barlow has zero versatility and limits greatly the type of song Schaffer can write. I think unless someone who knows how to write songs joins Iced Earth they have no hope.

Owens is criminally underrated, he has pretty much been the saving grace for the past 2 albums, yet fans still think that having Matt 'one-note' Barlow back will solve all of Iced Earth's problems. Schaffer has always been very limited as a songwriter and that has become more and more apparent over the years. Now that Barlow is back the problem is going to be even worse as Barlow has zero versatility and limits greatly the type of song Schaffer can write. I think unless someone who knows how to write songs joins Iced Earth they have no hope.

I'd rather have "one-note" Barlow in the band than a dude that sounds like a dying animal. :V

Iced Earth is one of those bands I occationally want to like. I put on a song and I dig the hell out of it. Then I listen thorugh an album and Im bored to death.

Had Shaffer been able to write more diverse riffs it would be alot better but its the same thing again and again and it tires me even listening to one album. It just gets boring very fast. HIs fast thrashy galopping tpe riffs or the slower mid-tempo stuff. It doesnt matter it just sounds uncreative when almost all riffs are based around the same idea.

Burn Offerings is the one album I think is god through and through that I dont get that tired listening to.