Do you think there's any hope for Iced Earth?

When I heard that they had Matt Barlow back in the band, I was pretty excited and eagerly awaited their next album. I liked Owens, but I think Barlow is better suited to Iced Earth than Owens.

But even with Barlow back, Iced Earth has been a disappointment. The Crucible of Man was pretty empty and, with the exception of one or two songs, a major step down.

I keep hoping that Schaffer will stop emphasizing the Something Wicked idea and return to normal songs, but even then, it seems like he keeps recycling the same riffs. The band needs some new direction to really reinvigorate everything.

Do you think it can be done, or will be done? I think their next album is key in which direction the band takes.

Just curious what people think.

Iced Earth is one of my all time favorite bands. One of the best bands ever! I really love their music.

There is very much hope for IE.

Remember that Jon wrote the songs for "Framing Armageddon" and TCOM mostly at the same time. Probably he just didn't write enough i guess. FA was a kick ass album full of everything awesome. TCOM has it's moments as well, but there are many songs that feel like they are "leftover" songs from FA. I believe that there has been lot's of things happening in his life, that have prevented him from working more on the TCOM songs. And so they ended up as they are. My personal opininon is that TCOM is ok, not bad, but a small disapointment. For the next album, Jon will have lot's of time to write songs, and he doesn't have to write so many of them this time. So my guess is that the next album will be a killer!

Currently IE has probably the best line up they ever had. Jon Schaffer (obviously), Matt Barlow, Brent Smedley, Troy Steele, and Freddie Vidales. All of them are really good and talented musicians with lot's of experience. From what i have read, heard, and seen. The shows with this line up have been awesome. I have read many interviews where Jon (and the other bandmembers) have said that the spirit of the band is now better than ever, and that the line up is really great. Also, IE is under new management, Jon has told us that the new manager is awesome as well. The band can now do more things what they really want. For example the "Summer Slaughter Tour" DVD, and the Something Wicked box set. And let's not forget the new fanclub.

So. My guess is that IE is doing pretty fucking good. Much much better than Metallica or Iron Maiden for example.

I just hope that on their next European tour, they will finally come to Finland and i can see them. That would be extra-awesome.

:kickass:

Burnt Offerings and Night Of The Stormrider are good enough to stand with Maidens classic stuff and still shine, but the other albums just don't make the cut.

Burnt Offerings and Night Of The Stormrider are good enough to stand with Maidens classic stuff and still shine
If by "shine" you mean "stand out" and by "stand out" you mean "stick out like a sore thumb" and by "stick out like a sore thumb" you mean "get shat on by pretty much anything by the infinitely more talented and creative Iron Fucking Maiden" then I wholeheartedly agree.

The problem comparing between Maiden and IE is when IE does a good album, the whole thing is listenable. Maiden did the "2 gold tracks and buncha filler" shit pretty much the entire '90s. Kind of drags down their entire catalogue.

Iced Earth has never done a bad album if you ask me. Even TCOM is quite good imo. My favorite is Alive In Athens. My favorite studio album? that's too hard...

The problem comparing between Maiden and IE is when IE does a good album, the whole thing is listenable. Maiden did the "2 gold tracks and buncha filler" shit pretty much the entire '90s. Kind of drags down their entire catalogue.

I mean, most people agree not to mention the 90s albums because it was a bad time and that's that.
And also they had a shitty vocalist for 2 of them.

I think the next album will determine whether they are really back with Barlow or not. He'll be there during the whole process compared to jumping into the studio.