Doctors may have found a way to destroy HIV

Well, it might prevent them from multiplying if they weren't able to sneak into wealthier countries and find jobs to support themselves.
:lol: That's right. They should stick to their own sucky place and watch their family die of various diseases. Trust me, it's VERY easy for people like us to judge their decisions to move whereas its not actually possible to come even remotely close to feeling that pain of poverty and painful torture like they do. If any poor, dying, starving man had a choice of moving into shoes of somewhat prosperity or just plain simple 'ease', why wouldn't he?

:lol: That's right. They should stick to their own sucky place and watch their family die of various diseases. Trust me, it's VERY easy for people like us to judge their decisions to move whereas its not actually possible to come even remotely close to feeling that pain of poverty and painful torture like they do. If any poor, dying, starving man had a choice of moving into shoes of somewhat prosperity or just plain simple 'ease', why wouldn't he?

Well no shit. Since this whole conversation arose from Zeph referencing mass death as a means of population control, I wasn't really expecting anyone to take my comment too seriously.

Speaking seriously for a moment, though, I think the key to solving poverty is better population control - not in the form of killing people, of course, but in discouraging/forbidding them to have more children than they can afford to support. It really pisses me off that people would bring a child into this world who is doomed to suffer throughout their life, and possibly die of starvation or untreated illness. That seems really ignorant and irresponsible to me.

Poor people have more children because, at least in developing nations, the more children you have, the higher your potential income could be as a family because the children could start working sooner

Doesn't make it any less irresponsible, really.

And yes, I know it's largely the government's job to step in and do something about the problem. Not that that's easy to manage - though it's worked in China as far as I understand.

How would birth control laws make the U.S. "like China"? And what do you mean by that anyway?

I don't have time at the moment since I'm about to head to class, and I really have no idea what aspect of their laws you're talking about (though I'm aware that there have been some controversial incidents related to the policy), but if you're suggesting that restricting the number of kids a couple can have is a basic human rights violation, I would counter that clogging up the earth with more people can it can support is also a basic human rights violation.

Not really. We should focus on REFORMING whatever may be causing people to want to have children irresponsibly (usually benefits for such things I think?). I don't think of having a lot of children as a crime, ESPECIALLY in America (land of the free etc.). Wanting to restrict people's rights to have children is pretty much a violation of human rights.