Interest post on STDs - is this accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell Awaits Us All

New Metal Member
Oct 22, 2006
Killing You
from bodybuilding.com

ok, soon to be Dr. Mycophage has a LOAD to say!

those health classes you got in high school, and those trojan advertisements are NOTHING but sensationalist propaganda. in actuality, STDs are VERY hard to transmit, and the bacterial ones are SUPER easy to treat. we're talking ONE dose of a $3 antibiotic.

ok, so after getting a blood transfusion from an HIV+ person, and sharing needles, the next most dangerous way to get HIV is by being the recipient of anal intercourse. sounds like a REALLY risky endeavor, especially without a condom, right? according to my textbook that serves as a review for the medical liscencing exam, if you take part in that activity, your chances of contracting HIV range from 1 in 10 to a WHOPPING 1 in 1600. in the united states, there are about 1 million people living with HIV out of a total population of over 300 million, so that makes your chances of having sex with an infected person 1:300. now take into account that a huge proportion of those cases are gay men, and 54% of new HIV cases are to blacks, as long as you're not into having sex with either of those groups, then your chances are even lower.

Contracting HIV does have some pretty serious consequences, but honestly, is it intelligent to worry about something that's so freaking hard to contract?! i don't think so. to put some more perspective on this, tobacco kills 435,000 people a year, where sexual activities only kill 20,000. call me crazy, but i'd also presume way more people have sex than there are smokers.

oh, i could do a similar write up on how amazingly hard it is to get herpes, but you can read wikipedia and do the math yourself. there's only an 8-10% YEARLY transmission rate for sex with a partner with FREQUENT outbreak...and that's not even using condoms. i don't know how many times the couples in the study had sex a year, but i think it's safe to assume over 50.

i'm REALLY mad at those high school health classes. they make sex seem like such a freaking risky proposition, and make people unnecessarily paranoid. i have a good friend who was so paranoid about AIDS that he couldn't even shake a person's hand until he was 21. those classes are abusive to young people, and DO NOT SHOW anything close to average cases for the diseases they attempt to "educate" you on.

well, that's my 2 cents. i can't wait for a bunch of poorly thought out, unintelligent, and stereotypical responses from people not qualified to speak on the subject. flame away.

While I have no idea as to how accurate his claims are, I will agree that sex-ed classes do seem hellbent on making sex seem scary and dangerous.

I asked him - so what are the chances of getting aids from having unprotected sex with any random girl? like 1 in a 3,000?

he responds - WAY less. i'm not gonna get up from my bed right now to go get my referrence books, but as a guy, you're set. it's WAAAAY harder for women to transmit disease to men than the other way around (that's why planned parenthood does free STI testing for men...we're the spreaders!).

if you can have sex with 1000+ girls to make the chances of you getting it significant, i doubt it matters, because you'll be dying a happy man ;-)

PS if anyone wants to rep me for spending nearly 5 minutes writing that informative post, feel free :)

I don't know how accurate those numbers are but I don't see any reason to take stupid chances. The radio show "Love Line" is syndicated I think pretty much everywhere across the US. If you listen to that show there's someone that contracted something that calls everytime.

I'm suspicious of that guys logic though. Yes, there are 300 million people in the US, but how many of them are children or people in totally committed relationships or are otherwise not contributing the the number for people sharing diseases with each other?

I don't know how accurate those numbers are but I don't see any reason to take stupid chances. The radio show "Love Line" is syndicated I think pretty much everywhere across the US. If you listen to that show there's someone that contracted something that calls everytime.

I'm suspicious of that guys logic though. Yes, there are 300 million people in the US, but how many of them are children or people in totally committed relationships or are otherwise not contributing the the number for people sharing diseases with each other?

well... 1 in 150 isn't exactly a very high percentage either.

well... 1 in 150 isn't exactly a very high percentage either.

Critical thinking isn't exactly your forte, is it?

I'll try to make this easy...

I'm trying to sell you a car. I say it gets 100 miles to a gallon. You say, "100? Are you sure?" and I say, "Well, make it's more like 50."

At this point are you happy that we're closer to reality or suspicious of why I lied in the first place?

Is high school health class a bunch of crap? Maybe, the high school I did attend was an all girl catholic school and we didn't learn about any of this.

Is this guy full of crap? Maybe again.

Schools have a good reason to try to keep kids from becoming sexually intimate: pregnant girls miss school, they get paid by the body, by the day. That's why they have such a hardon about attendence.

What is this guy's reason for distorting reality? I don't know, but there must be some reason because he did it.

Personally, I make a guy use a condom. My boyfriend has been allowed to go bareback for the last year or so because I trust that we're in a monogomous relationship and he's had an HIV test. I don't take stupid chances with my health, and I would advise you not to either. But maybe more importantly, I wouldn't get medical advise from a metal message board.

The main goal of sex ed is to keep you from getting pregnant, not to keep you from getting STDs. The STD talks are a scare tactic to further this end. Regardless of STD risk, people should always be using condoms anyway, unless in monogamous relationships.

Statistics indicate that teen pregnancy rates have gone down quite a bit, but I don't know how much is due to sex ed and STD fears in particular.

those health classes you got in high school, and those trojan advertisements are NOTHING but sensationalist propaganda. in actuality, STDs are VERY hard to transmit, and the bacterial ones are SUPER easy to treat. we're talking ONE dose of a $3 antibiotic.

Incorrect. STD's are very easy to transmit and treating even bacterial infections can cost quite a bit, plus cause a lot of discomfort.

Contracting HIV does have some pretty serious consequences, but honestly, is it intelligent to worry about something that's so freaking hard to contract?!

:rolleyes: Considering there's no cure, yes. There's no way I'm living with that the rest of my life.

i'm REALLY mad at those high school health classes. they make sex seem like such a freaking risky proposition, and make people unnecessarily paranoid. i have a good friend who was so paranoid about AIDS that he couldn't even shake a person's hand until he was 21. those classes are abusive to young people, and DO NOT SHOW anything close to average cases for the diseases they attempt to "educate" you on.

Hah. Brilliant. Let's just tell everyone "Yeah, the chances are low that you'll get these diseases, so don't worry about. It defenitely won't happen to you"

btw, hardly anyone pays any attention is those classes anyway.

well, that's my 2 cents. i can't wait for a bunch of poorly thought out, unintelligent, and stereotypical responses from people not qualified to speak on the subject. flame away.

Try making a thought out thread for once, jackass.

try reading the first part of the post there buddy, where I stated "from bodybuilding.com".

The mycophage guy is 26 and claims to be a medical student. so I am not sure whether to believe him or not. I need to do more research on STD's however.

seriously Dave... you can't be that stupid to even consider not wearing a condom with a random girl because of some yo yo who claims to be a medical student on a website or magazine... anyone can be anything on any medium... but regardless even if he is, it is stupid for any medical student or doctor to give advice of "don't worry about it because the chances of you getting it in a population of 300 million are very slim".... but you go ahead Dave and fuck some random girl who you don't know who she has been with (ahh like a drug addict who shoots up or even a bisexual man or has a operation that required a blood transfusion) without a condom.... if your dick falls off... let us know if you still believe that guy...

Vital Statistics

Worldwide:

* Over 22 million people have died from AIDS.
* Over 19 million women are living with HIV/AIDS.
* By the year 2010, five countries (Ethiopia, Nigeria, China, India, and Russia) with 40 percent of the world's population will add 50 to 75 million infected people to the worldwide pool of HIV disease.
* Kevin Bacon There are 14,000 new infections every day (95 percent in developing countries). HIV/AIDS is a "disease of young people" with half of the 5 million new infections each year occurring among people ages 15 to 24.
* The UN estimates that, currently, there are 14 million AIDS orphans and that by 2010 there will be 25 million.

United States:

* An estimated one million people are currently living with HIV in the United States, with approximately 40,000 new infections occurring each year.
* 70 percent of these new infections occur in men and 30 percent occur in women.
* By race, 54 percent of the new infections in the United States occur among African Americans, and 64 percent of the new infections in women occur in African American women.
* 75 percent of the new infections in women are heterosexually transmitted.
* Half of all new infections in the United States occur in people 25 years of age or younger.

From until.org

So, what's this guys point? That one's chances of getting HIV are low, therefore one should not even take measures to protect ones self?

You know, the chances are pretty low that I'm going to swerve off the road and into a tree tomorrow, but I'm still going to wear my fucking seat belt.

So, what's this guys point? That one's chances of getting HIV are low, therefore one should not even take measures to protect ones self?

You know, the chances are pretty low that I'm going to swerve off the road and into a tree tomorrow, but I'm still going to wear my fucking seat belt.

My girlfriend hates logic like that. Like when I told her I was going to apply for the Indianapolis PD she said "it's too dangerous! you could be hurt or killed!" and I'd retort with "but baby, the plant I work at could blow up at any moment, there's risk in everything." Makes sense to me. =P

Vital Statistics

Worldwide:

* Over 22 million people have died from AIDS.
* Over 19 million women are living with HIV/AIDS.
* By the year 2010, five countries (Ethiopia, Nigeria, China, India, and Russia) with 40 percent of the world's population will add 50 to 75 million infected people to the worldwide pool of HIV disease.
* Kevin Bacon There are 14,000 new infections every day (95 percent in developing countries). HIV/AIDS is a "disease of young people" with half of the 5 million new infections each year occurring among people ages 15 to 24.
* The UN estimates that, currently, there are 14 million AIDS orphans and that by 2010 there will be 25 million.

United States:

* An estimated one million people are currently living with HIV in the United States, with approximately 40,000 new infections occurring each year.
* 70 percent of these new infections occur in men and 30 percent occur in women.
* By race, 54 percent of the new infections in the United States occur among African Americans, and 64 percent of the new infections in women occur in African American women.
* 75 percent of the new infections in women are heterosexually transmitted.
* Half of all new infections in the United States occur in people 25 years of age or younger.

From until.org

none of this really disproves anything the guy said. Outside of "70 percent of new infections occur in men". The guy says it is much more difficult for men to get it from their female partners

anybody with any sort of medical background can shed some light on this?

if what he is saying is correct, it sounds like the odds of getting aids from unprotected sex is like 1 in a 100,000 (assuming you are not having sex with anybody who is black and you are a straight male).

Status
Not open for further replies.