Does God exist?

Silent Song said:
1. if the being is perfect, their thoughts and actions are also perfect. your argument relies on the basis that creating imperfection renders the creator imperfect. i disagree.

Ok are you just gonna say you disagree with nothing to back it up or are you gonna try and explain LOGICALLY how a perfect mind has imperfect thoughts?

Silent Song said:
2. keep in mind you are discussing christianity with a christian. i feel qualified to tell someone when i think they have misunderstood what it represents.

Will you please get off your high horse already? For one I was Christian until the age of 16. I went to Church often. I read the Bible often. My mom is a hardcore Christian. My Grandma is a hardcore Catholic. The majority of my moms family is one form of Christain or another. I went to Catholic school from Kindergarden to First Grade and again from Seventh to Eighth grade. I was taught in a Christian home-schooling program from 2nd-4th grade. My three oldest friends are Christian. The majority of people that have known me for more then five years are Chritstian. I grew up in a predominately black baptist community. I know a shitload about the religion and how it funtions, its basic ideals, its overall worldview, and the different ways it is interpretated. So yeah just cuz you happen to be Christian doesn't mean that you're the only one that understands the religion.

@ Silent Song

With your argumentation you draw a circle. You basically try to prove the bible with what is claimed as given, in the bible. If God is omnipotent, no argument could suffice for anything. So you render every reasonable argument useless, you allow no discussion. I'd have to prove God isn't omnipotent, or what?

The other thing is that you claim there's proof of the bible as an accurate account of historical events. Surely there is much historical background, but I see no proof of divine influence. That's why I bring up silly analogies. There are lots of tales and stories that may have historical background but that also claim divine or supernatural influence. I still take it granted the bible is just one of them.

@ Silent Song and Guitarmaster

About the christian moral: I know the 10 commandments and the christian conception of man as a sinner and I know I'm against the purpose. While the old Testament is plain evil, the new is effectively destructive for a culture. I wouldn't give it two more millennia to prove it's use. But that's a whole different topic, so... maybe later?!

bornlivedie said:
About the christian moral: I know the 10 commandments and the christian conception of man as a sinner and I know I'm against the purpose.

Explain why you're against that purpose, Born, simply because I'm curious to find the reason why you are. Not to debase you, or stoop this discussion even lower to a pointless argument.

bornlivedie said:
While the old Testament is plain evil, the new is effectively destructive for a culture.

Evil, even for the extreme bigoted customs of the Old Testament, could be considered too strong a word. Many were barbaric zealots, and their close-mindedness was renown, but there are enough examples that displayed the true image of God, when you removed the layers of selfishness and hate found in men that corrupted God's message. The image that clearly illustrated a loving creator. And I believe that could be considered a redeeming value for books that were rife with petty laws of man.

I'll also have to ask: Why do you believe that the New Testament, including the Gospels, are destructive for today's culture? If an individual chooses to follow that way of life, and chooses to disregard all immorality in order to follow a code--realizing that he/she doesn't need to preach to others continually--how are they harming a culture that is already deteriorating by selfishness, greed, and materialism?

When you look deep beyond the surface of matters and study the core, the true message of Christ's message, it doesn't differ much from the teachings of the Buddha. Buddhism, in my opinion, is one of the greatest beliefs in the world, one I would recommend any to study. But, take a look at the Eightfold Path, and then look at the Ten Commandments, in the end, there isn't a large difference.
And neither system of belief is harmful to the individual; the promotion of selfless love, no mindedness, and being devoid of useless desires for material matters can't be considered a hindrance, or a danger to a culture.

I'm of the mindset of, "Live and let live", however, I certainly do realize that in today's society, the pursuit for money and all material things is useless. It promotes selfishness and greed, which is destructive to a culture.

crimsonfloyd said:
Ok are you just gonna say you disagree with nothing to back it up or are you gonna try and explain LOGICALLY how a perfect mind has imperfect thoughts?

Will you please get off your high horse already? For one I was Christian until the age of 16. I went to Church often. I read the Bible often. My mom is a hardcore Christian. My Grandma is a hardcore Catholic. The majority of my moms family is one form of Christain or another. I went to Catholic school from Kindergarden to First Grade and again from Seventh to Eighth grade. I was taught in a Christian home-schooling program from 2nd-4th grade. My three oldest friends are Christian. The majority of people that have known me for more then five years are Chritstian. I grew up in a predominately black baptist community. I know a shitload about the religion and how it funtions, its basic ideals, its overall worldview, and the different ways it is interpretated. So yeah just cuz you happen to be Christian doesn't mean that you're the only one that understands the religion.
if that is the case, i doubt your grasp of it due to some kind of resentment for being "told" it all your life, resulting in a rebellious nature towards it and thus you call it "evil". surely you would not call your mother, your 3 oldest friends, etc... evil?

Silent Song said:
if that is the case, i doubt your grasp of it due to some kind of resentment for being "told" it all your life, resulting in a rebellious nature towards it and thus you call it "evil". surely you would not call your mother, your 3 oldest friends, etc... evil?

For one, I really wish you would reply to my comments on the possibility of god with the premises we were speaking of earlier with something better then simply "I disagree". Honestly, I'm interested to know your oppinion.

Second of all, its not about rebellion. When I was younger I didn't like a lot of Chruch, but I really did believe I had a good "relationship" with god, and considered Christianity to be an important part of my life. Eventually I started realizing there was no basis for my belief in this god and furthermore saw that his message and his actions were often contradictory to one another, as well as contradicory to what I believed.

Third of all, I never said anything about anyone being evil. That was someone else, you really need to pay attention to who is talking when. I don't think my mother or friends are evil people, though I see a lot of issues that they suffer from, many of which I used to suffer from as well, that I can see direct corolations to their religous worldview. For example almost all Christians I know are extremely co-dependent, which would make sense considering they put their faith in a diety rather then themselves.

Silent Song said:
there is actual evidence and research concerning the (possible) existance of Jesus and God.
show us the proofs. i esp. want to see the evidence for god's existence you mentioned
Silent Song said:
further, biblical events have been shown to correlate to historical events (such as the great flood of Noah).
again, you have to prove that. there is no evidence for the flood and there is no evidence for the ark.
Silent Song said:
furthermore, people around the world attest to God's miracles and influence.
this is no proof at all. people want to get attention and fame. and don't forget the strength of one's faith. your mind can let you see things, even if they are not there.

3. the theory of macro evolution has many flaws. you cannot claim that is fact when even still it is called theory

Haven't we already gone over the scientific definition of theory before? It is a theory and a fact. At the same time.

@ Silent Song

My initial Intention was not to discuss the bible's content, but to find a general rule to render those discussions useless, using Christianity with the bible as an obvious example. I mean a rule or standard that goes for any supernatural, inexplicable being. And that standard IS science, in the sense of reason. Looking for obvious Authorities on this that I know, I found a statement by Richard Dawkins. He says basically the same as me (+ more), but in case I didn't make my point clear, I woudn't find better words than these:

On debating Religion

If you want to go the long way, proving details of the bible, proving the existence of God, proving his omnipotence, go ahead! You might as well prove any other faith wrong, or the omnipotence of another's god will beat that of yours.

@ Guitarmaster and Silent Song

I dislike Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism alike. Obviously there are countless prophets and saviours with well-meaning advices for a good life. They all have some moral contents I like, some I dislike, but I'm not going to argue over them. It would be a useless endeavor. I may agree with one on this topic and with another on that topic, but don't want to follow one of the aforementioned religions.

All of them claim to have a key to salvation. And that's supposed to mean happiness, through breaking the circle of reincarnation, climbing a caste or giving yourself in the hands of God. You will be rewarded in Heaven or Nirvana. But what makes them think people need salvation?

The more a culture suffers under crime, war, and poverty the more prophets it brings forth, who offer a set of rules that will save people. It's either fighting greed or selfishness, or promoting respect or justice or someting along those lines. But they need all people to agree on this. If everyone was christian and followed their understanding of these things, we'd all be happy, right? But people tend to call different things „justice“ or „greed“. And tell me, when was the last time all people agreed on something?

„Crimes“ like murder or thievery will always happen, if the conditions make it likely. No outlawing has ever stopped it. No commandment will ever stop anyone. No one is right about everything. You won't find a concept that works for everyone alike, because people tend to be individuals.

So, the prophets ask, what is wrong if conditions constantly stay the same? Of course, they say, god created us imperfect! We are sinners! People want to behave like that and give the devil way. And if you don't believe ME you're doomed. You have to live like me, they say. You won't make it on your own, because I have the key.

Starting from these premises, who wonders they end up fighting each other? What they want is peace but they think it's the people's fault it doesn't work. The system of being kind and just to each other is flawless, right? I know exactly what is right. So it MUST be the people.

But I strongly suggest that people are not sinners, and that neither „imperfect“ nor „perfect“ does them justice. All those prophets, they don't come to the simple conclusion, that their system cannot work for everyone alike. It's not that people SHOULD be nicer and kinder to each other. They will be if they have reason to! People don't need a god to tell them a damn thing about moral. Whatever WORKS for people, will be done, not what is RIGHT for people. You don't need to be a „righteous“ person in this culture to have success, and that's the only reason why there are „greed“ and „crime“.

And Jesus answer to that: Altruism, self-denial, as the path to salvation, which is entering heaven. Don't seek wealth or keep it. If it was actually true, that giving up things makes you happy, we wouldn't have a problem here. You can't win the hearts of all people by telling them salvation means losing something. That well-meaning but misguided part of Christianity couldn't possibly succeed over the millennia. It's main audience is naturally the poor. The prophets have in those the most obedient listeners. To them it makes perfect sense to believe that giving up things and possessing little will bring you to heaven. Great idea!

But do you really think that's luring for someone who owns a lot? Those are happy that the poor love being poor. (Remember what Marx said about Religion as Opium?). That's why Christianity has proven to be a perfectly fitting religion for societies living under kings and that it supports hierarchies very well. (Because finally the hierarchies will be inverted, right?)

What I descibe is not what is meant by Jesus or Moses or God, it's just how I see it work in a culture. If I would want to discuss the intentions of the bible I would just quote some verses from the bible. Certainly I know lots of Passages I don't like, that are threatening or evil. Certainly the bible is full of blood. But as I said, I'm not going to argue over moral here. That's up to the individual. My point is just that the concept doesn't WORK.

Hypnos said:
show us the proofs. i esp. want to see the evidence for god's existence you mentioned

again, you have to prove that. there is no evidence for the flood and there is no evidence for the ark.

this is no proof at all. people want to get attention and fame. and don't forget the strength of one's faith. your mind can let you see things, even if they are not there.
there is proof to those who seek it. there is nothing to those with closed minds.

bornlivedie: i'm sorry you hold such a pessimistic view of the world. the very reason why these evils still exist in the world is because people like you do nothing to change it, and claim "you just can't win".

Silent Song said:
there is proof to those who seek it. there is nothing to those with closed minds.
you sound like one of those Jehova's Witnesses who go from house to house and never stop to show how they all know everything better than the other people...

infoterror said:
Most people are too fucking stupid to figure out much of anything for themselves. That's why.

:lol:

In today's society, yes, the majority seem to be pretty pathetic.