Does the existance/nonexistance of choice help prove/disprove religious beliefs?

YaYo

whendaydescends.com
May 6, 2001
If there is no choice (either on the human level, or the atomic level, or any level), if everything is simply a calculated reaction to everything else then what does that mean to you?
When i choose to type these words, am i really choosing? or is my brain simply reacting to its current knowledge and situation (etc) in a way that it would always act under the exact same circumstances... ?
Can there be choice on a higher level if the building blocks have no choice? (if the stuff we are made of is just affected by action/reaction stuff then can us humans have choice if we are made of only those things?)
If there is choice on the atomic (or lower) level then how would that work, since it has no brain to make the choice...?
Or is it just the possibility for choice that exists at these levels, and a higher being is required to make use of such possibilities?
If there is no choice on any level then does that disprove religion? and vice versa....

hmmmmm..... questions, questions, questions....
:)

Interesting question, but vague with regards to the "religious beliefs" because there are so many different religions that don't deal directly with the premise of your question. However, speaking of christianity, I would answer it this way...

The human ability to choose creates certain problems for the christian religion validity.

Wow. I used to ask myself the same thing all the time. I personally believe in a higher being (meaning God). Of course I can't offer you any scientific proof or anything like that, but it is what I believe. I have faith in God and that is what Christianity is all about. There are so many different explanations and theories out there though. It really all boils down to your own personal beliefs. I struggled with the same thoughts and had a tough time finding out who I was spiritually and what I was all about. But now I've found out and I'm happier because of it.

n/p: Enslaved-Mardraum

Surely it could be both? Yes you choosing is a chemical reaction in your brain,nothing more, but you are still responsible for the choice - you can affect which way you decide so it isn't completely out of your hands....
Mayb choosing is "simply reacting to its current knowledge and situation (etc) in a way that it would always act under the exact same circumstances" untill youchanged your currrent knowledge

I hope that made sense as I don't quite get what ur aiming at...

I don't quite get what ur aiming at...
seems i confused ppl by asking too many vague questions as usual.... i guess my main focus is on 'choice' (if it exists, how it exists.. ), not on religion..

i guess what im interested in is the following:
Does science know of any form of decision? Something that doesnt belong to the action-reaction world i was taught in physics...

And if everything is simply a reaction then we have no control right? so therefore the idea of some elements of christianity and other similar religions seems a bit weird (since were sposed to choose to believe, or choose to be good)... of course the idea of a 'creator', and other religious beliefs, are still valid..

you are still responsible for the choice - you can affect which way you decide
explain this to me.... can we really affect what we choose?

IMO yes, Its a chemical reaction if you go down far enough, but you have power over the reaction - I mean you can choose either way - or I think you can. But I think you're toying with the idea of fate here - if there is fate then no you can't choose. Your choice will be pre-ordained. Just as it is a chemical reaction doesn'tmean you have no control over that reaction...