Don't be fucking pussies....

Brutal death>>>>>>>>>>>melodic bubble-gum death

I loves me some Immolation, Asphyx (if they can be called brutal death), Bolt Thrower, Nile, and just recently got the Suffocation discography. All great stuff.

How's Obituary?

I want to get some Incantation badly. I have the 2 x CD version of Morgion's Solinari and the second CD is a sampler. I can't remember which Incantation song is on it, but it is the best song on the CD.

I wouldn't necessarily say Bolt Thrower are all that brutal though? They're along the same level as Amon Amarth to me.

Papa Josh - how's our Works of Carnage promo working out for ya?! Fucking Brazilians know what they're doing.

Bolt Thrower the same as Amon Amarth? I place AA in the same realm as the other Swedish melo-death bands. Granted, they are more brutal than those bands but still place melody in their songs. Either way, I like both bands.

No not the same. Amon Amarth are slightly more melodic, for sure - but they play at that mid-paced head-crunching tempo. Bolt Thrower are at that exact same mid-paced riffing, except they might grind things along a little more like a fucking tank!

Both bands also release albums which sound almost identical to their previous. At the end of the day, you only ever need to own one AA and one BT to get an idea of what they play.

Suffocation, Obituary, and Nile are infinitely more brutal than Bolt Thrower.

Nile
Honestly I think In Their Darkened Shrines will go down as a highlight to the entire extreme metal genre, what an incredible album

Morbid Angel
Eh, not as brutal as most, but they can still be pretty manic. Formulas would definitely qualify.

Aborted
Oh my lord these guys are good, and fucking sick! One thing that is so cool about them is that it is all out insanity, but they never drift into noise.

Cannibal Corpse
The only reason these guys get slagged is because everyone knows the name, even Bob Dole. Nice crazy death/gore/grind/poop/brutal/shite.

JayKeeley said:
No not the same. Amon Amarth are slightly more melodic, for sure - but they play at that mid-paced head-crunching tempo. Bolt Thrower are at that exact same mid-paced riffing, except they might grind things along a little more like a fucking tank!
yeah, that's why I consider BT in the brutal category, because some of their albums are essentially grind/death metal, especially the first couple.

I may be crossing the brutal death metal tag here, but Akercocke are pretty damn pummeling.

The Chasm are on the line. They incorporate some melody, at times. Then other times they can be quite the brutal noise mongers.

What about Napalm Death?

And I've always considered grind bands to basically be brutal death metal bands. Bands like Cephalic Carnage, Brutal Truth, and The Red Chord really could be considered brutal death, as least musically.

Dreamlord said:
How's Obituary?

Obituary is an interesting breed.

On one hand they were always good and heavy. However, they can get repetitive, and the well known fact that the singer never sang any real lyrics.. until "World Demise"....

"Cause Of Death" is quite good.

"The End Complete" was also a good one, I like the really dry production on it.

Papa Josh said:
..and the well known fact that the singer never sang any real lyrics..
That's f'ing ridiculous. Is that true? Man, that takes away a lot for me thinking that this guy just showed up to scream arbitrarily into a microphone and then leave for the day.

JayKeeley said:
That's f'ing ridiculous. Is that true? Man, that takes away a lot for me thinking that this guy just showed up to scream arbitrarily into a microphone and then leave for the day.
Not ridiculous at all. I think Tardy's best vocal work is on Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death, both in which he only sang lyrics part of the time. In fact, both are some of my favorite vocal performances of all time.
He used his voice as an instrument. He sang actual words about half the time, the other half it sounded like he was saying something, you just couldn't tell what it was. I think it was far from just showing up and screaming arbitrarily.

I think it's kinda cool he didn't sing words on an album or two, not like I can understand more than half the bands I listen to anyhow.

I've yet to hear Obituary though, d'oh.

bloodfiredeath said:
Not ridiculous at all. I think Tardy's best vocal work is on Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death, both in which he only sang lyrics part of the time. In fact, both are some of my favorite vocal performances of all time.
He used his voice as an instrument. He sang actual words about half the time, the other half it sounded like he was saying something, you just couldn't tell what it was. I think it was far from just showing up and screaming arbitrarily.
OK then this is different. To use the voice as an instrument to add to the music, then I can see that working. I'll have to dig out my old tapes of Obituary and revisit.

The way I had imagined it though was as if someone like Karl Sanders spent months researching something about a demonic cult of ancient egypt, wrote some fascinating lyrics, and just showed up to go "Waahh whahah ahahha rghhhhh aatgghh". Even though it sounds like that anyway, I'd hate to think that the vocalist couldn't be bothered to deliver the actual lyrics.

Anyway, the point is moot. :)

I picked up some Nile a while back, Black Seeds of Vengeance to be exact and its pretty good. Got Morbid Angel's Domination a couple days ago and I've got a billion bands on my infinitely long list of cds to buy.

Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Decapitated, Vital Remains, Immolation, Mithras, Obituary, Suffocation, Vehemence, Monstrosity, Krisiun and Hate Eternal are all on the list along with bands like Morbid Angel, Nile and Cryptopsy that I already have cds by but still want more cds by.

Brutal death. Fucking god damn fucking I dunno u gt uI like it. Go dmdamn everyone knows I l;isten to some fucked up shit. Does Aborted coutn? Cannibal Corpose.? Fucknol. Gaotsblloood? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,.,jmhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm other shit. CQn't thkn. Fuck me, mhhhammerred.

fuCk, I 'm drujnuuuuuujhnk.