Doom Metal?

BlackMetalTyrant

CHECK OUT THESE MUSCLES!!
Jul 10, 2005
Does anyone like much Doom Metal in here? I dont get it, I tried to listen to cathedral and couldnt get through a song. What are some better DM bands, or is DM even worth listening to?

Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General, Candlemass, Trouble, Sleep, Reverend Bizarre, and about one million others to pick from. I hope you can read my reccomendations before, y'know, you get banned.

Aarni is probably my favorite doom band as of late.Its extremely off beat and quirky, but very cynical at the same time. I highly recomend both their split with Umbra Nihil as well as their full-length "Bathos".

pre-1997 Katatonia

Everything by them is great, but after Discouraged Ones, the really doomy sound kind of dissapated.

Place Of Skulls, Sourvein, Internal Void, BLACK SABBATH (fucking cunts didn't mention the originators and one of the best), Pentagram, St. Vitus, Forsaken, Thorr's Hammer, Burning Witch, Goatsnake, Cathedral (the early stuff), Bretwaldas Of Heathen Doom, Count Raven, Dark Quarterer, Doomshine, Doomsword, Electric Wizard, Grand Magus, The Hidden Hand, High On Fire, The Obsessed, Lair Of The Minotaur, Memento Mori, Nemesis, Orodruin, Penance, Sacrilege (Turn Back Trilobite), Sorcerer, Spirit Caravan, Voodooshock, Wall Of Sleep, Warhorse. Also, obviously, Jean-Pierre's list, at well as Decadent's mention of Goat Horn, though not entirely doomy...

I love doom metal! Here are a few songs to download to get a taste of different types of doom:

Pagan Altar "Pagan Altar"
Candlemass "Solitude"
Solitude Aeturnus "The Seeds of the Desolate"
Reverend Bizarre "Burn in Hell!"
St. Vitus "Born Too Late"

My Dying Bride "Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium"
Anathema "We, the Gods"
Forest of Shadows "Under the Dying Sun"
Winter "Servants of the Warsmen"
diSEMBOWELMENT "The Tree of Life and Death"

Skepticism "Sign of a Storm"
Thergothon "Elemental"
Esoteric "The Blood of the Eyes"

Pagan Altar are excellent, though they're more of a NWOBHM band. Candlemass and Solitude Aeternus are both enjoyable doomy heavy metal. Disembowelment, Skepticism, Esoteric and Winter all kick ass, and to a lesser extent Thergothon and early MDB are seconded. Sleep are quite interesting though I'm not really into their style. Goatsnake, Burning Witch, Warhorse and of course early Cathedral are all great too.

Edit: Forgot to second the Witchfinder General recommendation.

As for my own additions:
Ceremonium
Eyes of Ligeia
Nortt

Cathedral is a great band. Not all their stuff is doom either but still has remaining elements. The stuff after 'Forest of Equilibrium' is more upbeat and stonerish. The band is not even hard to listen to either. They rock very hard unlike 'black metal' bands'.

I hate people with ADD. Black Metal is going to warp your perception on music.

Cathedral is one of the most easy listening doom,sludge,stoner bands on earth. They are very enjoyable and fun to listen too.

Some of the doom in this thread is like the animal below. You might aswell not even give the genre a chance.
sloth.gif

I recall thinking Cultus Sanguine sounded like Anathema, or am I thinking of someone else?

I'm somehow unable to focus on Evoken for an extended period of time, despite finding them fairly tasteful. They just seem to bore me.