Dream Theater- BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS Coming June 23rd

This is easily the best album of 2009, with The Incident and Polaris close behind. I don't think I've ever followed an album release so closely, though that may change assuming Rush releases a new album.

This is easily the best album of 2009, with The Incident and Polaris close behind. I don't think I've ever followed an album release so closely, though that may change assuming Rush releases a new album.

wtf is wrong with you!?!?!?!? :OMG::OMG::OMG:

wtf is wrong with you!?!?!?!? :OMG::OMG::OMG:

Well, I'm just going to assume that we have different musical tastes. For me, this album was a huge step in the right direction after Systematic Chaos (even though SC wasn't necessarily awful). The Count of Tuscany, The Best of Times, and A Nightmare to Remember really make the album grade A, and A Rite of Passage, The Shattered Fortress, and Wither only make it better.

Well, I'm just going to assume that we have different musical tastes. For me, this album was a huge step in the right direction after Systematic Chaos (even though SC wasn't necessarily awful). The Count of Tuscany, The Best of Times, and A Nightmare to Remember really make the album grade A, and A Rite of Passage, The Shattered Fortress, and Wither only make it better.

*MASSIVE DOUBLE HAND FACE PALM* it was a MINOR step in the right direction. to say that Dream theater is back on track make me chuckle, but album of the year?!?! thats not even funny! this has been a fantastic year for music and BCwSL is hardly a top competitor. IMO i guess, but really who will disagree?

Amazing how this thread just keeps on going while there are more interesting things going on. (Were the guys of Symphony X working on the next album? Anyone remember that?)

*MASSIVE DOUBLE HAND FACE PALM* it was a MINOR step in the right direction. to say that Dream theater is back on track make me chuckle, but album of the year?!?! thats not even funny! this has been a fantastic year for music and BCwSL is hardly a top competitor. IMO i guess, but really who will disagree?

So we have VERY different tastes. But I'm also partially biased, considering that DT is my second favorite band. I also haven't heard a terrible amount of new releases this year. Here's the new stuff I've heard so far:

Stratovarius - Polaris
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Porcupine Tree - The Incident
Sonata Arctica - Days of Gray
NOFX - Coaster
Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Here are some albums I have yet to listen to:

Megadeth - Endgame
OSI - Blood
Derek Sherinian - Molecular Heinosity

Stratovarius - Polaris
NOFX - Coaster

This year has not been the best

Never really been a huge DT fan.. I like a few songs like Overture 1928/Strange DejaVu and Metropolis but this new album sucks to me. I KINDA liked the Nightmare song and I thought I like the Count of Tuscany song but the lyrics were absolutely horrendous - and the sounds of a car crashing? Srsly. But yeah...their lyrics are awful lol, dunno who wrote them but they should kill themselves. Aside from the lyrics as I said before, Nightmare is really the only track I like to any degree...and its nothing special tbh.

this has been a fantastic year for music

I agree this has been a fantastic year and I'm positive that your list of the best is different then mine....

Why does this matter so much to you?

BTW.... Black clouds isn't even in my top 10 but it's still a good listen and if someone thinks it's the best of the year then great for them....

So we have VERY different tastes. But I'm also partially biased, considering that DT is my second favorite band. I also haven't heard a terrible amount of new releases this year. Here's the new stuff I've heard so far:

Stratovarius - Polaris
NOFX - Coaster

Here are some albums I have yet to listen to:

Megadeth - Endgame
OSI - Blood
Derek Sherinian - Molecular Heinosity

well its obvious you only like prog so yes, for you, the year has not been that great, but imo The Incident is incredible. Black Clouds would have been letdown of the year, but it did follow up to systematic Chaos. am i the only one who thinks Dream Theater should go lighter instead of heavier?

and what about
stephen wilson- insurgetes
lunatic soul
Riverside- adhd
isis- wavering radiant
the list goes on and on!!

Black clouds album of the year? i still cant believe you said that!

am i the only one who thinks Dream Theater should go lighter instead of heavier?

Light/heavy is not the issue. Good songwriting is. They need to start *editing their music* again, not just letting whatever idea that pops into their head make it to the record, even if it's mediocre. Their transitions are also getting worse and worse and they're rehashing everything they've ever done (Count of Tuscany had some sort of new stuff). I'm going to be an asshole also and suggest their recent shitty lyrics and tuff gai portions are an attempt to pander for sales.

"Suckin' on his pipe!
Distinguished accent!"

How any five grown men, let alone music veterans (and ones who previously wrote quite good lyrics, at that), could have seen that and though "Yeah, that sounds perfectly high quality enough to go on a record with our names on it!" is beyond me. The only explanation I can think of for The Dark Eternal Night is that it's what sells.

I agree that the lyrics are pretty atrocious. Petrucci is out of ideas, and the band would benefit from the lyrical contributions of John Myung (who is supposed to be writing lyrics for a future album...). But mostly, from my point of view, they're more lulz-worthy than hateable. The transitions in The Shattered Fortress are pretty bad, but all in all, I still think it's fantastic.

Also, @Lyre's Harmony, I made that 'best album of 2009' pick based off of what I've heard this year. The list of things I've heard has been posted already. But if you want me to listen to something else, I'm always open to suggestions

Light/heavy is not the issue. Good songwriting is. They need to start *editing their music* again, not just letting whatever idea that pops into their head make it to the record, even if it's mediocre. Their transitions are also getting worse and worse and they're rehashing everything they've ever done (Count of Tuscany had some sort of new stuff). I'm going to be an asshole also and suggest their recent shitty lyrics and tuff gai portions are an attempt to pander for sales.

i still think its the matter of light/heavy. considering i dislike train of thought, like octavarium, awake is meh, images and words is one of my top ten albums of all time, i just think that when they focus more on prog and less on metal, they do a far better album. and Myung would make a fantastic lyricist. Learning to Live is one of the greatest songs ever imo.

and Myung would make a fantastic lyricist. Learning to Live is one of the greatest songs ever imo.

he also wrote the lyrics to fatal tragedy, which still makes my eye twitch

Never really been a huge DT fan.. I like a few songs like Overture 1928/Strange DejaVu and Metropolis but this new album sucks to me. I KINDA liked the Nightmare song and I thought I like the Count of Tuscany song but the lyrics were absolutely horrendous - and the sounds of a car crashing? Srsly. But yeah...their lyrics are awful lol, dunno who wrote them but they should kill themselves. Aside from the lyrics as I said before, Nightmare is really the only track I like to any degree...and its nothing special tbh.

ANTR is about a car crash. Who cares about the lyrics? I thought that was only a factor for females.

That makes me sad that you say that...good lyrics are good lyrics. Even if its talking about dragons and elves, it can be written to be good, I personally just think most DT lyrics lack hard in emotion or anything for that matter.